Status: Contest Entry

Dreams Become Reality

04

*** June 9th, 2010***

I was a bundle of nerves. The Blackhawks could win it all tonight. I glanced around the Wachovia Center and took in all the orange and black jerseys in the crowd. There were more red and black jerseys than I expected, but I wish I was down there with the fans. Jessica and I decided after the first game in Philly that we wanted to be in the box because the fans were too intense for us. We were called names and I almost got into a few fights. So Jon quickly agreed to getting us suite seats for the remaining games. For tonight’s game the suite was full with families of the players hoping to watch their loved ones lift the Stanley Cup.

“Mellie, you need to relax. You’re going to wear out the carpet.” David said from his seat next to Jessica.

“How are you not freaking out?” I asked him, continuing to pace.

He shrugged and went back to flirting with my roommate. I rolled my eyes at the two but smiled, they would be good for each other. I continued to pace back and forth waiting for the guys to come out for warm-ups. I did stop a few times to talk to some of the wives and girlfriends I have become friends with throughout the years. My favorite girls to talk to were Patrick Kane’s three sisters, Erica, Jackie, and Jessica, and Patrick Sharp’s wife Abby.

“You should come hang out with us in Buffalo this summer.” Erica smiled, pulling me into a chair. “Especially if they win tonight.”

“Shhh!” I shushed her. “You may not believe in the superstitions and normally I don’t, unless there is a lot at stake. So for now just keep your mouth shut.” I told her. “Now as far as Buffalo goes, I think I can arrange that. Maybe I’ll drag Jon with me so Patty has a playmate.” I chuckled.

“He hates that you call him that.” Jackie laughed.

Jessica shook her head. “He would be okay with anything Mel did. He worships her.”

I blushed and looked away from the Kane sisters. This wasn’t the first time that I have been told about the crush that Patrick has on me. I always brushed it off because Patrick was probably one of my best friends and like a brother to me. I was about to say something to them, but the sounds of boos filling the arena was a sign that the boys were on the ice and the game was about to begin, dropping all conversation of Patrick and his crush.

***
If I thought I was nervous when this game started then I needed a new adjective for what I was right now. The game was going into overtime and I was ready to explode with nerves. I had already had two beers to try and calm myself, but they weren’t doing anything for me. I noticed though that I wasn’t the only one who was nervous. The suite had grown quiet as we all waited for OT to start. We were all holding our breaths for the same outcome of the next twenty minutes. As the guys skated onto the ice, I held my breath. This was going to be the longest period of overtime ever.

***
The crowed was stunned silent. We were stunned silent. We looked around at each other and then back down on the ice where the Hawks were celebrating.

“Did that actually go in?” I asked, in a slight fog.

The boos mixed with cheers that erupted throughout the arena answered my question and everyone else’s unspoken one.

“That just won the Stanley Cup!!” Abby Sharp screamed.

Erica and I hugged each other with screams before hugging everyone else. Everyone was crying and cheering while we waited to be lead down to the ice so we could celebrate with our families. I glanced at Jessica who was still sitting on the couch with a combination of sadness and excitement on her face.

“Jess,” I said sitting next to her. “I’m sorry your team lost, but you are more than welcome to join us on the ice.”

She looked at me and I could see the sparkle in her eyes. Her team might have lost, but she was a true hockey fan and she wasn’t going to turn down the chance to be near the Stanley Cup. She looked down at her jersey and frowned.

I laughed at reached into my purse where I had stuffed my Kane shersey. “I brought this just in case.”

“I’m going to need antibiotics after wearing this.” She smiled and slipped off her jersey and pulling the shirt on. “Thank you and congratulations.”

I smiled and took her jersey and stuffed it in my purse. “Thanks. Now let’s go celebrate!” I linked arms with her as we followed the usher out of the suite and down to the ice.

***

As I watched the guys celebrate, I couldn’t help but think about how everything really has fallen into place for not only me, but for Jon as well. He won the Stanley Cup, a gold medal, MVP of the league, and his girlfriend was pregnant. I knew he couldn’t ask for more.

“What are you thinking so hard about?” A voice from next to me asked.

I smiled and glanced at Patrick Kane, who was smiling too. “I was thinking about how crazy you looked down here when you scored.” I laughed and hugged him, ignoring the butterflies in my stomach as he hugged me tighter.

“I had to show them I scored some how.” He chuckled. “That wasn’t it though, what’s going on in that pretty little head of yours?”

I sighed and glanced at Jon who was kissing Shawna. “How happy Jon is right now. How everything has fallen into place for him. He really made his dreams become reality tonight.” I smiled, tears filling my eyes.

Patrick noticed and hugged me again. “Mellie, why are you crying?”

I shook my head with a laugh. “I’m happy for him. Not to mention proud.” I glanced at him. “I’m proud of all of you.” I stood up on my tip-toes and kissed his cheek, giggling at the blush that took over his face.

“Well take a look over there.” He said, turning me to face where Jon and Shawna were. I gasped as I watched Jon get down on one knee, gear and all, and opened a ring box. “Looks like he is making sure everything falls into place for him.”

I started sobbing as Shawna nodded her head with a huge smile on her face. With a glance at Patrick, I took off for my brother and his fiancée. I tackled Jon and hugged him tightly.

“I am so proud of you Jonny. You made your dreams into reality tonight.” I glanced at Shawna and smiled at her. “You both did. Congratulations.”

Jon laughed, but it caught in his throat. He hugged me tightly and buried his face in my shoulder so the media wouldn’t see the tears right now. “I love you, Mellie. Thank you for always believing in me and supporting me.”

I choked on my tears. “Don’t thank me, thank yourself because without you and David, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. You both believed in me and I will always believe in you two. In everyone. I love you, so much Jonathan.” I hugged him. “Now go celebrate with your team!” I shoved him off in the direction on Patrick and turned to Shawna who was still crying.

“He loves you so much.” She whispered. “Makes me wish I had a sibling.”

I smiled. “You do. You have David and I. I am so excited to be your sister!”

She hugged me and soon she was sobbing. “I’m sorry, hormones.” She laughed.

I shook my head, there were so many emotions going on right now, so crying was okay. For the rest of the night, we celebrated with the team all the way back to Chicago. When we landed in the Windy City, there were fans everywhere cheering as we walked off the plane and out of the airport. When we got to the club, I was overwhelmed with the amount of fans there all chanting my brother’s name, Patrick’s, and any other player. Half way through the night, I climbed up on a table with the help of Patrick, earning whistles from the team and fans around me.

I lifted my beer and everyone quieted down. “I want to just say how proud of the Blackhawks I am.” I paused as everyone cheered. “Tazer, is an amazing captain and he has done well leading the team not just this season, but every season he has been captain. I am proud to call him my brother.”

“Tazer your sister is hot!” someone yelled and I watched as Jon scanned the crowd and I laughed.

“Thank you, whoever you are. But this isn’t about me. Jon use to say something to me, every time I struggled in life with my dreams and goals. He said “Dreams don’t come true if you give up. Each day you get another chance to make it into reality”, boys I can say that you have all made your dreams a reality tonight and I think the city would agree with me when I say, I am proud of you!”

I downed the rest of my beer and jumped off the table, stumbling a little. I was straightened up by a very drunk Patrick Kane. He smirked at me, causing me to blush and giggle. I wrapped my arms around his neck and just stared at him.

“That was some speech.” He said, quite clearly. “I know you said you were proud of Tazer, but are you proud of me?”

I smiled and nodded. “I’m proud of the whole team. You guys are all brothers to me.” Patrick frowned and looked away from me. “Pat, of course I’m proud of you.” He pulled away from me. “What’s wrong?”

He didn’t say anything, he just took two steps into me and crashed his lips to mine. I was surprised at first, but quickly recovered and kissed him back. Patrick placed his hands on my hips and pulled me into him, deepening the kiss. As we kissed, the noise and people that were around us disappeared and it was just the two of us in the bar. When we broke away from each other, the noise came rushing back. Patrick smiled at me and rested his forehead on mine.

“Melody, you’re my dream. I want you to be my reality too.”

“Okay”
♠ ♠ ♠
That's the end guys! Hope you liked it and I decided that I will be doing a sequel/spinoff of this. I just have no idea when it will be out, but keep an eye out for it!