Status: Contest Entry

Dreams Become Reality

03

I couldn’t believe it….I was still sitting in the living room watching the post game celebration. I looked at my phone and then back at the television.

“Mel, why are you celebrating?” My roommate, Chelsea asked me.

I looked at her and shook my head. “I think I aged twenty years watching that game.” I whispered before squealing. “Did that really just happen? Did they just make it to the Stanley Cup Finals?”

She laughed and nodded before walking to her room. I grabbed my phone and called my mom and dad, since I knew they were in Chicago. When my mom picked up, I could barely hear her over Chelsea Dagger playing throughout the United Center and the crowed that was still there cheering. We decided to just talk later tonight, so while I waited I sent a text to Jon and some of the other guys.

“Do you know who they are playing in the Finals?” My other roommate Jessica, asked coming out of her room.

“I haven’t looked, I know it’s either the Bruins or the Flyers.”

“It’s the Flyers!” She cheered. I laughed and shook my head. Jessica was the biggest Flyers fan I have met and when we first became friends I was really hesitant to tell her who I was related to, but when I did tell her she took it well. Sure she teased me, but it was all good natured. “So does that mean you’re staying here longer?”

My friends were sad that I wasn’t going to spend the summer at the apartment with them, but they understood that the summer was the only time I got to spend with my family. Now that Jon was going to be coming to Philly to play, maybe I would just stay here.

“I don’t know, maybe. I think I will when the team is in Philly, but I want to see him play in Chicago too.”

She nodded. “Understandable.” my phone started blaring Chelsea Dagger and I smiled. “Tell Jon he played a good game tonight and I will see him when the Flyers lift the Cup.” She left the room with wink as I answered.

“JONNY!” I cheered into the phone. “That game was amazing, but it took twenty years of my life away.” I laughed.

“Try playing in it!” I could hear the excitement in his voice and it brought tears to my eyes. “Do you know who we’re playing? None of have checked the scores.”

“Philly.”

“Hell fucking yeah! That’s going to be a great series. It’s starts here, you’re coming out here.”

“I think I come in the day before you play. So, yes I’ll be there. Do you think we could work something out with Coach that I could travel back here with you guys? It’s not like I need a place to stay, hell you and a few of the guys could stay here. Jessica may have a heart attack, but it’ll be worth it.”

“I AM NOT HAVING THE HAWKS SLEEPING UNDER THE SAME ROOF AS ME!” A voice from down the hall yelled.

“THEN YOU’RE SLEEPING ON THE DECK!” I yelled back, laughing. “By the way, she says you played a great game and she’ll see you when you lift the Cup.”

Jon laughed. “I don’t think she said all that, but tell her I said thank you and I’ll have tickets for her for when we play there.”

“She’ll be so thrilled. Thanks Jon.”

“No problem, listen I’m going to go. Mom and dad say they love you and congratulations and they can’t wait to see you this week. Sleep well little sister and see you soon”

“Love you big brother, give Patty-Cakes a hug for me?”

“No.” He said, seriously.

“Then tell Sharpie to because he will.”

He chuckled. “Alright. Good night.”

“Night.”

I got off the couch and went to Jessica’s room and dive bombed her on her bed. “Ow it burns!” I screamed dramatically as I landed on her Flyers blanket.

“Get off! You’re burning a hole in it with your jersey!” She laughed. “Are there going to be Hawks staying here?” She asked.

“I’m not sure right now, it’s all up to Coach Q. He may let Jon and Pat stay here and that might be it. But I told him whoever wants to, can stay here. You’re not mad are you?”

She shook her head. “He’s your brother and they are your friends. I would never be upset. We may have to lock Chelsea up though.”

I chuckled, Chelsea has very little self control when it comes to hot guys, especially since she and her boyfriend of three years broke up earlier this month. “We don’t need to worry about her. She’s leaving tomorrow for a few weeks in the Bahamas with her sister before her wedding.”

“Thank God for us.” Jessica laughed. “So is he excited.”

I smiled. “Thrilled, I could tell he was smiling the entire time.”

“’Captain Serious’ smiling? Never.” She joked.

“Hey I wouldn’t be calling the guy who is giving you tickets to every home game this series names.”

“What?!” She screamed. “He’s doing what now?”

I chuckled. “Jon is getting you and I tickets for the games they are here for.”

She wrapped her arms around me. “Have I mentioned I love your brother?”

I laughed. “Can I get that in writing?” She laughed and hit me with the nearest pillow.

Jessica and I spent the rest of the night discussing the upcoming series between our teams and who we thought was going to do well and who wasn’t. It got heated, but in the end we both decided that it was going to be a brutal and entertaining series.

When I went to bed, I had a smile on my face. Everything was falling into place and I had a feeling things were going to get better.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've figured out there is going to be one more chapter, but it's going to be a long one.