‹ Prequel: The Space Between
Sequel: On Your Side
Status: Completed.

Stay

Reality.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Jenna squeezed her eyes shut tightly. Trying to make sense of the annoying noise coming from close by. It was starting to get on her nerves.

"Jenna?" She heard as she finlly cracked her eyes open only to see her brother of all people hovering over her. She looked up at him confused and still drowsy.

"Garrett?" She asked, glancing around, noticing the familiar setting of a hospital.

"What happened?"

"You wrecked on the way to the hospital. Which Trey should have known better, but besides that..." he stated, cutting himself off in order to avoid the whole story.

"Why was I on the way to the hospital? And how long have I been out?" She asked wincing as she tried to sit up, her mind immediately thinking of John who she sure was now worried.

"Because we were in a wreck, you remember right? And like four weeks, Jenna." He said trying to help her adjust the bed so she could get comfortable.

"Who was in a wreck!?" She questioned, as she racked her brain for the truth. The last thing she remembered was talking with John.

"Eric and I..." Garrett said, worry now laced across his face.

"Do you realized you said Eric?" She asked with a weak grin. It was odd for her brother to make references to her old boyfriend.

"Huh?"

Before Jenna could continue the door to her room flew open and Jenna stopped breathing.

What was going on? Was she dead? Was this heaven?

"Eric." Jenna gasped and Eric fled to her bed, disregarding Garrett who was beside her still looking as confused as she felt.

"Well, I'll uh, yeah, give you a minute." Garrett spoke, leaving the room and Jenna immediately started crying. What was going on?

"What's wrong Jenna? What's wrong?" He asked concern filling his voice as she tried to stare at him only for it to be blurred by her tears.

"You're here. But...oh my god. Am I dead? I have to be." She sobbed and he grasped her shoulders, "Jenna, I'm here. I'm right here. I'm fine and no you aren't dead. I hope heaven wouldn't be a hospital."

"Oh god Jenna. Wake up." She mumbled to herself. This had been the worst dream she had in a while. Eric alive and well. Had she not just yesterday been married to John?

"Please calm down. You're scarying me."

She breathed in and wiped her eyes. Ok. Maybe if she went along she would just wake up from this nightmare. It had been so long since she had dreamt of him.

"There. Breathe." He whispered stroking her cheek. She studied the boy. The only thing different was his left hand was bandaged.

"What happened to you?" She fumbled out.

"Garrett and I were in a wreck...and of course Trey made it worse and you freaked out and flew to the hospital which means you wrecked on the way which means I almost kicked Trey's ass from a fucking hospital bed. I'm so glad you're ok." He said cupping her face.

"So I was..."

"In a coma. I've never been so scared in my life."

"But..."

Eric gave her a confused look, "Jen, are you feeling ok?"

"I just...can't believe this." She groaned bringing her hands to her face. This was so confusing. Was this real? Did she dream up a life with John?

"What can't you believe?"

"That this is real. That you're here."

"Where else would I be?" He questioned, confusion on his face.

"You...John. where is he?"

"John?" Eric frowned, "He's outside..."

"I need him."

Eric nodded, hurt hitting his eyes as he walked out the room and in seconds the blonde boy entered without him.

"Jenna." He spoke smoothly which seemed to calm her nerves more than she thought. She breathed in as he sat on the bed.

"Hey you. How are you feeling?" He asked grabbing up her hand and she shrugged.

He grinned that familiar smile and she felt her eyes begin to water again.

"I just don't get it..."

"Hey, it's ok. It's all confusing. The doctor said that would be normal." He spoke, stroking her hair gently.

"So this is real?" She got out and he gave her hand a squeeze, "Why don't you tell me what you think is real and we will go from there?"

She nodded and he grinned at her as he rubbed over her hand with his thumb.

"I just..."

"It's ok, just talk to me, Jen." He spoke in a voice she knew he only used for her. Well at least in her other reality.

"Eric's alive?"

"Very much true." He chuckled and she breathed in and his smile faltered, "Don't worry, ok? Everything will start making sense I swear."

"And we're not..."

John raised an eyebrow at her, "Who?"

"You and me..."

"We're not what?"

"Together?" She asked wincing a bit and the boy stopped breathing. He had prepared for confusion, but that was something he wasn't ready for.

"Like, a couple?" He managed to ask and she nodded looking down at their hands.

"No Jenna, we aren't."

"But..I just..." She spoke, as she tried to place a spot between fact and fiction.

"It couldn't be just a dream..." She said, as she tried to rack her brain for answers.

John swallowed the lump in his throat, "Jenna, it was though. Eric's here. We're all fine. You and I...well, we're friends."

She nodded embarrassment now hitting her cheeks.

"It's ok, you know? It's ok to be confused. I'm not going to hold it against you."

She didn't bother to respond and he grasped her hand lightly, "I was so worried about you Jenna. The thought of..." He mumbled shaking his head as he removed his hand from hers.

"I'll get Eric." He finished as he stood up.

"No. John..."

His tortured green eyes met hers and she tried to hold back her tears. If this was real why did she want him to stay so badly?

"I just need you to hold me and tell me it's all ok."

John looked even more torn as her words hit him and he raked his fingers through his hair.

He breathed in shakily before speaking, "Jenna, please. I can't...I just, since this has happened....I just, I want to, I can't, ladybug. I'm sorry."

"Wait. What did you call me?" She asked and he left the room before he could give her an answer. Her heart beated rapidly as she tried to make sense of her life.

Eric cautiously stepped back into the room and as she stared at him, she grew nervous, seeing him felt like she was brought back to life all over again.

"Eric..."

He shook his head as he stood uncomfortably beside her.

"Do you love him?"

"What?" She fumbled out and the boy she so desperately wanted to touch began to pace the floor.

"I know I haven't been there a lot, Jenna. I have no one to blame for that but myself and if you are, well I'll accept it..."

"Who are you talking about?"

"John."

She shook her head immediately. Even if this was a dream or not the thought of losing him again made her begin to shake.

She began breathing heavily and her eyes filled with tears.

"Jen..." Eric spoke, regret now in his eyes as he stepped to the girl. Tears fell and he swept them away with his fingers.

"Don't cry. I'm sorry. Fuck. I shouldn't have brought this up right now. I'm sorry."

"I only love you." She sobbed and he climbed onto the bed, wrapping her in his arms and she cried even harder from the feeling of him pressed to her.

"Ok." He cooed, "Ok, I believe you. I only love you too."

She clung to him and buried her face against his shoulder.

"I missed you." He breathed out and she bit her bottom lip. Real or not she sure as hell didn't want to wake up.

"I missed you. Don't ever leave me."

"I could never, Jenna. Ever."

"I had a dream that you died and, and..."

"Shhh. It's ok now. You're ok. I'm clearly alive and well and I'm not going anywhere." He whispered kissing over her face.

"Just a nightmare, love. I'm here." He added, kissing her gently and her heart immediately fluttered. She knew this couldn't possibly be a dream. The way she felt around him was hard to imagine simply because it was unnatural in the first place.

"Let me find out when you can leave and I'll take you home. Your parents should be here any minute though." He spoke kissing her forehead before moving from the bed. She honestly was scared to let him out of her sight.

She fiddled with her fingers and he spoke, "Oh and Jenna?"

She looked up at him and he spoke, "You're never driving again."

She chuckled and he patted her leg before leaving the room. She sighed relaxing into the bed. She was done questioning things. If this was reality she was going to accept it. She had Eric back and that was the only thing that mattered to her. It was the only thing she ever wanted...right?
♠ ♠ ♠
...And it was all a dream.

How many of you want to kill me?! Did anyone see that coming?! The idea came to me several weeks ago and I had to change the ending because it was too good to pass up! I guess in reality you did have to read the other stories for you to understand this one so I apologize for saying you didn't have to... :|

Saying that, you know what that means...

New story, same characters;
On Your Side

And let the love triangle begin! ;)