Motionless in White

Who Knew?

I held his hand in mine,laying on the bed, as we stared at each other. “I love you Ricky.” He smiled shyly in response. “I love you too Chris.” I raised our entwined hands, placing a soft kiss on his. “Ricky, you won't leave me, right?” “I wouldn't dream of it, you know I'll always be around.” A smile crept onto both of our faces.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. If only it was, he'd still be here with me. I believed him too. I believed him when he told me he'd always be around. I believed in everything he ever told me.

You took my hand
You showed me how
You promised me
You'd be around
Uh huh
That's right

I took your words
And I believed
In everything
You said to me
Yeah huh
That's right

“Are you sure you want to keep seeing this guy? I mean, he's a druggie.” “So am I, what's your point?” “Yeah, but he's worse than you. He can't control himself Chris.” I sighed, rolling my eyes. “Listen Ange, I don't care what you say, I'm staying with Ricky. I love him.” “You know, three years from now, he's probably going to be long gone.” “How could you say that? He may be into drugs, but he would never go overboard, I know him.” He put his hands up in defense. “I'm just letting you know man, I don't want you getting hurt.” “You're all wrong. Everyone keeps telling me that, but I know its not true. Ricky and I are going to be together forever. He said we would.”

If someone said three years from now
You'd be long gone
I'd stand up and punch them out
Cause they're all wrong
I know better 'cause you said forever, and ever
Who knew?

We walked down the block, as loud as ever. We were both high, and maybe a little drunk too. We thought we were cool, too cool for anyone else. At least, we were convinced we were. “That p-party was so much fun wasn't it?” He slurred. “Absolutely.” I reached over clumsily and grasped his hand. “Love you Rick.” “Love you Chris.”

I miss those days so much. I wish I could touch him again. I'd give anything to hold him, tell him I love him. If I had another chance, I'd never let him go. What we had was special, and will never fade away. Who knew he would go though?”

Remember when we were such fools
And so convinced and just too cool
Oh no, no, no
I wish I could touch you again
I wish I could still call you friend
I'd give anything

“I'm telling you Chris, before he's long gone. You should count your blessings now.” I lowered my head, and shook it. “Why wont you listen to me? Its gonna happen, and when it does, you'll wish you had listened. I don't know why you can't just do what I'm asking.” I still didn't look at him. “I guess I just don't know how.”

Of course, I had been wrong. They knew better. But still, you said forever. Who knew they would be right? I guess I did all along, I just didn't want to believe it was actually true.

When someone said count your blessings now
'Fore they're long gone
I guess I just didn't know how
I was all wrong
They knew better, still you said forever, and ever
Who knew?

I stood in front of his open casket. He lay there, unmoving, lifeless. I wished more than anything that he would open his eyes, smile at me, then say “Gotcha!” But that wasn't going to happen. I'd never see his brilliant blue eyes staring up at me, or his small cute smile ever again. But I'll keep him locked in my head, until we meet again. “What happened Ricky? How could you do this to us?”, I whispered. Tears were starting to leak from my eyes. “I won't forget you Rick.”

Yeah, yeah
I'll keep you locked in my head until we meet again
Until we, until we meet again
And I won't forget you, my friend
What happened?

When Angelo said he'd be long gone, I should have listened. But I didn't, I thought he was wrong. I still remember the last kiss we shared. We were celebrating Devin's birthday, and when the party was over and we were back on the bus, we had laid in my bunk, just cuddling. That's when I kissed him, before falling asleep with him against my chest. I'll cherish that moment, until we meet again. But time makes it harder. Every minute away from him is torture. I wish I could remember everything. All the times we spent together. I'll keep him in my memory.

Sometimes, he visits me in my sleep. We always just lay there, staring at each other. We don't say a thing. But we don't have to. We already know everything, so there's no need to say it. And when I wake up, I cry my eyes out, knowing I would never do it for real. But who knew? I did, and I should have tried to prevent it, yet, I did nothing. And I'll regret it for the rest of my life.

If someone said three years from now
You'd be long gone
I'd stand up and punch them out
'Cause they're all wrong and
That last kiss
I'll cherish
Until we meet again

And time makes
It harder
I wish I could remember
But I keep
Your memory
You visit me in my sleep
My darling
Who knew?

Two months have passed, and I can't take it anymore. I miss him so much. I can't sleep at night, I don't eat much anymore, and I'm starting to lose it. It took me a long time to figure out if I was going to do it, but I had finally made my decision. I was going to do it. I was going to reunite with Ricky once and for all, so we could spend eternity together. I locked myself in the bathroom, then took the blade I had out of my pocket, and sat in the empty tub. Rolling up my sleeve, I took a deep breath. “See you soon Ricky.” I pushed the blade lightly into my skin, crimson starting to leak out slowly.

My darling
My darling
Who knew?
My darling
I miss you
My darling
Who knew?

I cut deeper into my arm, and then eventually everything started to dim, and my head started to feel dizzy, my vision blurring, until everything eventually went black. When I finally opened my eyes, He was there, smiling his shy little smile at me. “Took you long enough.” I smiled. I didn't know where we were, but I didn't care. All that mattered was him. He took my hand. “I missed you Rick.” “I missed you too.” Then I kissed him. I finally had him, my Ricky. And he would stay mine. Forever.

Who knew?