Edge of the Water

Chapter Five

From: Jeff Coone
Sorry to do this Belle, but you need to come to the upper deck. The slag has done it again.


Despite having drank the night before, and missing instructing nearly every yoga class that day, Zoey had taken it upon herself to be the life of the party, yet again. After only four shots, she was drunk.

Zoey pulled off her shoes, tossing them to the side as she sat atop one of the barstools. The world was going fuzzy and she didn’t even realize that she was slowly sliding off of the wooden surface.

A hand placed against her shoulder, steadying her. Zoey turned quickly, almost causing herself to fall over more. The man placed a second hand on her to keep her from falling.

“You all right there?”

Closing her eyes, Zoey nodded. “I’m fine.”

When she opened her eyes, the brunette removed his hands from the blonde, a soft grin on his face.

Staring at her, the man cocked his head to the side. “You’re my yoga instructor, right? Belle’s friend?”

Zoey nodded.

“I’m Jonathan,” the man said, holding out his hand to her. “And you’re Zoey.”

Shaking his hand, Zoey smiled. “I am.”

Just as Zoey released Jonathan’s hand, Belle approached the two. Placing her hand on Zoey’s back, she looked at the girl’s eyes.

“How much have you had to drink?” Belle asked, pressing her free hand against Zoey’s fingers.

Zoey pulled her hand away. “Just a few. I’m not drunk.”

Sighing, Belle looked away from Zoey and to Jon. “You did this, didn’t you?”

Jon took a step back, throwing his hands in the air. “I didn’t do anything. She was already drunk when I got here.”

Belle rolled her eyes and moved her arm around Zoey to lift her off the stool.

Zoey shook her head. “He really didn’t do anything.”

Biting her lip, Belle ignored the comment. “Let’s just get you back to our room, okay Zo?”

Jon reached his hand out, attempting to help steady Zoey. He wrapped his arm around her elbow, holding her firmly in place.

“Let me help you.” The statement was directed more at Belle than Zoey.

Shaking her head, Belle turned to the boy. “It’s okay. I’ve got it.”

“No really, I can help.”

Belle let go of Zoey and faced Jon, with her arms crossed over her chest. The girl's beautiful face was covered with a scowl as she spoke.

“I really don’t need your help, Jon.” Belle took a step closer to him. “I’ve already told you I’m not your damsel in distress. I don’t need you to rescue me. I am perfectly capable of taking care of Zoey by myself.”

Sighing, Zoey turned her attention away from the arguing pair. She plopped back down on the chair in an attempt to stop the world from spinning. At that moment, she regretted being so drunk, and wanted nothing more than to be back in her bed. She leaned forward slightly, putting her head in her hands.

Next to Jon, Patrick stood up from his spot at the bar and began moving toward the drunk girl.
“Are you okay?” Patrick asked, standing over Zoey.

Zoey looked up at him, a small frown on her face. “They’re fighting again.”

Laughing, Patrick leaned his hand against the bar. “They do that a lot, don’t they?”

Zoey nodded, placing her head back in her hands.

“I’m going back to my room,” Zoey said, standing up. “Will you tell Belle I left?”

Patrick nodded, as he watched Zoey stumble from the chair. The girl only made it a few steps before she had to grab onto a table for balance.

“I think you’re too drunk to walk.” Patrick laughed as he spoke, while taking a few steps towards Zoey.

Shaking her head, Zoey turned to him. “No, it’s just because the ship is moving.”

“Let me help you.”

Patrick put one hand around Zoey’s waist and lifted her into the air. He quickly placed his free hand under her legs and held her. Luckily for Zoey, Patrick hadn’t had anything to drink and was easily able to carry her away from the bar.

Zoey wrapped her arms around Patrick’s neck and buried her face into his chest. All the moving was starting to make her feel sick, so she closed her eyes to help make the feelings stop.

“Where’s your room at?” Patrick asked, keeping his voice quiet.

With her face still against his chest, Zoey mumbled. “By the ballroom, down a hallway past the kitchen. Room 204.”

Patrick nodded, even though Zoey couldn’t see him. He kept a tight grip on her body, but was careful to watch where he placed his hands. The last thing Patrick wanted was to hear the wrath of Belle over touching Zoey inappropriately.

After turning down many different hallways, in parts of the ship he had never been before, Patrick stopped at the door labeled 204. He looked down at Zoey, who appeared to be sleeping.

Patrick attempted to open the door with the hand that was tucked under Zoey’s legs, but it was locked. Sighing, he leaned against the wall to wait for Belle to realize Zoey was gone and come rushing to find her.

Zoey wiggled in his arms, pressing her face harder against his chest. He looked down at the girl, whose blonde hair was covering her face.

Despite the fact that he was extremely athletic, his arms were beginning to tire, but he was determined not to wake her up. He adjusted his hands a little, to take some of the pressure off his forearms, and felt a bump in Zoey’s pocket.

Patrick sighed in relief, and used the hand closest to the pocket to pull out her keys. It took quite a bit of maneuvering, but Patrick managed to get the door open without waking Zoey up.

The girls’ room was extremely tidy, with both of the beds made. Patrick wasn’t sure which bed belonged to Zoey, so he laid Zoey gently on the one closest to the door.

After placing a cover on top of her, Patrick moved quietly to the door.

Behind him, Zoey spoke. “You’re not going to leave, are you?”