Born Under a Bad Sign

Mystery Man

“Dean, stop!” I woke up to Sam yelling and a door slamming. It was dark outside, and I was feeling better, but hungry. I needed pancakes, or French toast.
I walked downstairs and Sam was sitting on the couch, his foot propped up on the coffee table, massaging his forehead with his hands.
“So is this yelling thing going to happen a lot?” I asked, sitting on the couch next to him.
“Yeah,” he laughed. “We don’t get along most of the time but he’s my older brother, what do you expect.” He smiled at me and rested his chin in his hands. “Sorry we woke you up.”
“No big deal. I was hungry anyway.” He smiled and turned his head back forward. “So why are you here?” I asked, hoping to find out something about this kid just in case him and his brother were some kind of mass murderers.
“We…transferred here. From a school. In...Kentucky. Super small. You probably haven’t heard of it.”
“Oh yeah?” I could tell he was lying.
“Yep, our family didn’t want to live there anymore and Dean heard OU was a great party school.”
“Well, you got the right school if you want a party.” I crossed my arms and laughed, thinking of last night.
“Yep, Dean loves that. You know, drinking, girls, classic rock.”
“I could tell.” I smirked at Sam but my hunger got the best of me.
“I’m starving.” I got up. “Are you hungry?”
“Yeah, actually. What do we have?”
For a second I forgot that we now lived together.
“I really want French toast. Or pancakes.”
“Well, lucky for you I know how to make both from scratch.” He smiled and opened the door of the refrigerator and grabbed the eggs and milk, amongst other things. He turned to look at me, and my mouth was hanging open. “Yeah we traveled a lot when I was a kid and sometimes I had to cook myself food and stuff so thank Dean for that.”
“Thank me for what?” Dean’s gruff voice echoed through the apartment. “Sammy are you cooking breakfast?”
“Yeah, pancakes.” He was mixing the ingredients in a bowl.
“Yes!” Dean sat down at the table and smiled at me.
“So Dean, what are you majoring in?” I asked, turning to face him.
“Biology.” He winked. “Oh! I almost forgot. I got something for the fridge.” He walked outside and returned with a 6 pack of Miller Lite. He walked over to the refrigerator and moved things around until he found space for it. “I knew it needed something.” He pulled 2 out and opened one, and gave the other to Sam.
“Wow, thanks Dean.” I smiled, annoyed.
“You...want a beer?”
“Yes, Dean.”
“Right on.” He opened one and handed it to me. “So, it’s a Saturday night at one of the greatest party colleges in America so, what are we doing?” He looked at me and grinned.
“Hey, don’t look at me I just got here yesterday.” I took a drink from the glass bottle.
“Well, looks like you found a good time last night. That’s all I’m saying.”
“Fine. We’ll go to the bar.”
“Yes!” Dean punched his fists in the air and grinned stupidly at Sam.
“But I want my pancakes.”
“Good, they’re done.”
“Yes, Sam you’re amazing!” He put 2 pancakes on a plate and handed them to me.
“So, Lauren.” Dean asked as I sat on the counter to eat.
“Yes?”
“Have you seen anything weird lately?”
“Define weird.” I took a bite of the pancake. It was heavenly. “Holy shit Sam, these are so fucking delicious.”
Dean rolled his eyes. “Like…have there been any lightning storms, any friends acting differently, have you smelled sulfur at all?”
“No, I just got here yesterday.” I raised my eyebrow at him quizzically.
“Great, that’s just great.”
“Fuck off, Dean.” I stared at him before putting another bite of pancake in my mouth. Sam snorted from laughing. I finished my pancakes in record speed and I could feel myself getting full.
“I’m going to go get ready.” I went upstairs, and I didn’t immediately hear any yelling, so I assumed we were all good. I turned on my iPod and carried my iHome into the bathroom with me before turning on the shower. I slowly peeled my clothes off my skin. I had bruises on my thighs, no doubt from the previous night. I had a rather large hickey on my collarbone. I was sore, again, definitely from the night before. I was starting to remember everything, and in short, it was a great night. I stepped into the warm shower, scrubbing myself clean. When I was done, I wrapped myself in a blue towel and opened the door. Dean was standing in the hallway, about to go in his room.
We both froze; my towel was a bit short. “What?” I finally spat out.
“Nothing.” He winked at me. “Nothing at all.” He continued into his room and I followed suit, closing the door of my room behind me. Since it was still August, and still incredibly hot, I decided on short jean shorts, a black sleeveless button up, and black suede shoes with blue on the soles. I put my hair up in a messy bun after it was done drying, I didn’t feel like dealing with my lion’s mane. My makeup consisted of black liquid eyeliner, sporting the classic cat-eye style, foundation, mascara, and red lipstick. It seemed to be what suited my high cheekbones and sunken-in brown eyes the best, considering the fact that I didn’t really know how to use much makeup, and only started wearing it and looking good about 4 years ago as a sophomore in high school.
By the time I made it downstairs it was 11:00, and Sam was in his laptop, and Dean was watching some Doctor show on TV.
“Ready?” I asked, and Dean looked at me and smirked, Sam’s eyes seemed to light up, which lead to a smile that took over his whole face.
“Of course!” Dean jumped up and joined me by the table, where I was getting everything I needed into a small brown side-hanging purse. We started to walk out the door when I realized Sam wasn’t with us. I backtracked to the living room, and he was still sitting watching TV.
“Are you not coming?”
“No, partying isn’t really my thing. Plus, I have some work to do.”
“Okay, well if you need anything…well, you live here so you know what do to. Try not to have too much fun while we’re gone.” I winked at him and patted his leg before getting up and joining Dean at the front door.
There was a gorgeous black Chevrolet Impala sitting in the driveway next to my black Dodge Charger.
“Holy shit is this yours?” I asked. Lightly running my fingertips over the black hood.
“Yep, it’s a…”
“1967 Impala.” I interrupted him, looking inside the window. “My dad taught me a thing or two about cars.”
“It was my dad’s but he handed it down to me.”
“Cool, for some reason I just can’t see your Dad driving this.” Bobby seemed more like a truck kind of guy.
“Well, he was a different man back then.” He looked at me, with a solemn look on his face. What the hell?
“Well, uptown isn’t very far from here so we can just walk.” I started walking the same route as yesterday, and found the bar was even more packed than it was yesterday. We walked in the front door and the music was still loud as ever.
“Lauren?! Is that you?” One of the girls came up to me from yesterday. Macie, I think?
“Hey, Macie?” She hugged me excitedly and then looked past my shoulder.
“And, who’s this?” She asked, eyeing up Dean.
“Dean.” He didn’t seem too interested; in fact he seemed disgusted with her.
“He just moved in today, I’m showing him around.”
“Yeah, I hope he has a great time.” She winked at him and he rolled his eyes.
“Do…you know her?” I questioned, “Because that was just rude.”
“Oh, I know her alright.” He trudged off toward the bar and I followed, practically running to catch up with his fast pace.
“How? I mean you two seem to have some pretty big issues.” He motioned to the bartender and 2 beers appeared before us. He grabbed both, and sat down at a table.
“Let’s just say I’ve met some of her family and they weren’t the…nicest, people.”
“Well then.” I took a large drink of my beer and set it back down on the table.
“Look, I’m…” He looked pained as he was trying to talk to me. “…sorry, If I was being a dick earlier.”
“Hey, it’s fine. Don’t worry about it, seriously.”
“Sam’s always being nice, someone has to keep up the image of asshole business guys, right?” He chuckled and took a drink of his beer. He was actually gorgeous. He had just a hint of facial hair, dark brown. His green eyes were mesmerizing, even in the dark. He had a defined jawline, and fantastic lips. “Anyway, what brings you here?”
“I really needed to get away from my parents.” I sighed, and we both laughed. “I was at this local college because I got a scholarship since my mom works there and it was just awful. I wasn’t happy at all.” Dean was staring at me, like really staring. “And…so I decided I would come down here and see what it’s all about. Plus they have a really cool Parapsychology program. And the restaurants around here are all organic. It’s pretty cool.” He scoffed at my latest comment. “But let me tell you, there’s this place right up the street that makes an amazing bacon cheeseburger.”
“Really.” I nodded. “I’ll be the judge of that.” He winked and took another drink of his beer. “All I have to say is, be thankful your parents raised you normally.”
“Right. It’s all just too normal though. The town I grew up in was a dead end and I felt suffocated. I just needed to get out, you know.”
He nodded and finished his beer. “I feel you.” Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard came on, and he instantly perked up. “I love this song!”
“Me too.” I finished my beer and Dean smiled approvingly, leaving with the empty bottles and returning with full ones. I bit my lip, and looked at him with the best sexy eyes I could do, and leaned over the table so I was whispering in his ear. “It always turns me on.” How bad could a little harmless flirting be? I pulled my head back so I was looking at him, and he took another drink of his beer before he kissed me with those magnificent lips. Slow at first, then more intense as he stuck his tongue in my mouth. He pulled back and smiled before kissing me again. He was a fantastic kisser; he sent chills down my spine. He finally pulled back, and took a drink of his beer, and smiled at me.
“What?” I finished mine.
“Nothing.” He looked down and smiled, he was just flat-out gorgeous. “This bar kind of sucks.”
“Right. But as of now, this is the only place I can find where there’s a lot of people.”
“Wanna head back? We can all just get drunk there.”
“Sure.” I smiled and shrugged. We left the bar, and started looking for a liquor store. Finally, we found one, and Dean bought a couple bottes of vodka, a small bottle of Captain Morgan, and a case of Mike’s Harder, for me, he claimed. Apparently he thought I couldn’t hold my alcohol. We finally made it back to the apartment and before opening the door, Dean turned around and kissed me again.
“What was that for?” I asked, reaching behind him to open the door.
“I couldn’t waste a perfectly good opportunity, now could I?” He smirked and turned around, walking inside.
“Sammy we have alcohol.”
“Great. Dean, can I talk to you for a second.” Dean’s face suddenly became serious as Sam got up from the couch and led him to another room. I set the Captain on the table and tip toed to the room they were in. I could hear them talking, barely.
“Sam, there are way more demons here than we thought. One of Lauren’s friends is one.”
“Seriously? How many do you think are here?”
Demons? Who the hell are these people?
“I don’t know, could be a dozen. They knew we were coming here, Sam.”
“We need her help, that’s the only way we can do this.”
“No, we are not putting her in danger, okay? Once she starts, she can’t just hop out. She’ll be running for the rest of her life.”
“I know, Dean but we need help. She might be our only shot.”
I walked back out into the kitchen and moved all the bottles to the kitchen counter before Dean and Sam came back out, both with fake smiles on their face.
“Ready to get smashed?” I asked, with an equally fake tone.
“You bet.” Dean rubbed his hands together and started mixing up all the drinks he bought, along with some mystery ingredients that he brought along. It ended up in a blue, cake smelling liquid.
“You expect me to drink this?”
“Well, yeah. It’s good.” I picked up the concoction and took a sip. It tasted exactly like cake.
“Holy shit, Dean. Look at you, bartender extraordinaire.”
“I’m a man of many talents.” He winked at me as he handed the same drink to Sam.
“Here’s to living together.” Sam smiled at me, and we all downed our drinks.
There was something sketchy about these boys that I couldn’t quite put my finger on.
♠ ♠ ♠
So tell me what you think!