If Only

Story

Get me out of my mind Panic! at the Disco

-

“So, your name’s Jon?” I asked again, bringing the coffee cup up to my lips. I took a small sip when he nodded.

“Jon Walker, at your service,” he grinned, and continued wiping down the counter. “But, what I want to know, Miss Leah, is what you were doing all shaken up in the park.”

I thought about it, tapping my fingers on the side of the coffee mug. I needed a cover story, something I could tell everyone. Something that was believable. Something that would keep me out of trouble with William.

“I ran away from William Beckett’s place,” I said, settling for that. It was the only idea that came to mind, really. It was the only thing I could work with. “I ran away and I don’t know where to go.”

“So I guess my offer for free coffee made you feel better?” he asked, hopeful.

I nodded my head in agreement, and took another sip. “Honestly, yes. The hospitality is nice.”

“I would assume so. The stories my co-worker’s told me explain it all. William and his sneaky right hand man, Brendon. You’re lucky you survived.”

I tried to hide my shock, and asked, “Who’s your co-worker?”

Jon glanced at me before saying softly, “His name is Adam. He used to know William, but he doesn’t like talking about it anymore. There was kind of a…problem.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, William seems to like causing those.”

I sat there in silence for a while, looking around the empty diner. It was still cold inside, but the coffee helped. It helped keep me warm and clear my mind. However, I still hadn’t a clue what I was going to do about Pete.

“Um, Jon,” I said tentatively. “You said your friend lived with a vampire right?”

“Uh. Yeah, why?” he asked, eyebrows arching high.

“Well,” I said. I needed to think of a reason to find Pete; I needed something that would match my cover story. “When I was back at Will’s he kept talking about this guy, and saying he was a hunter. You think the guy could help me out for a while? I mean, Will’s probably going to be out looking for me…”

“Oh, wait you mean Pete and the guys?” Jon smiled. “Oh, they’d be happy to help. I can tell you where my friend lives and he can help you, with Pete and all.”

“Really?” I asked.

Jon shrugged. “They won’t mind, it’s their job after all.”

I nodded my head, and rubbed the palms of my hands on my jeans. I was getting nervous already, dreading having to meet this Pete guy. Jon was making him out to be a hero, but Brendon said he wasn’t all that good, and Brendon wouldn’t lie. Not to me.