Status: Work in progress

Last Chance

Formalities

I tapped my foot against the brake as I stopped at a red light. Jesus, traffic in Calgary even during the day was ridiculous. Construction everywhere. Usually it only takes about ten minutes to get downtown, but I had already been on the road double that. As the light turned green I eased my foot on the gas pedal and inched my way down ninth avenue.

-----July 2003-----

"I can't believe they are actually letting you onto the streets of Halifax on your own." Sid teased as I pulled out of his driveway. I had just passed my drivers test and my parents actually said yes when I asked them if I could borrow the car.

"Funny Crosby, at least I can drive. You can't even get your learners until next month, so until that time I suggest that you stop teasing me if you don't want your mom to drive you everywhere."

"Fair enough." He pouted as her played with the radio.

"So, where do you want to go or what do you wanna do?" I asked.

"Besides surviving?" He winked. "Let's go to the beach." He said as he wound his window down. I smiled, hanging out at the beach with Sid was one of my favourite things to do.

----------

I pulled into the Hyatt and gave my keys to the valet. I'm pretty sure he was used to driving much nicer vehicles, but there was nothing wrong with my trusty Sunfire. That car had gone everywhere with me. I tried to calm my nerves as I entered the lobby. Why was I so nervous? Sid and I were just having lunch, that's all. Plus, it was just us, hanging out, like we always used to. I slept really well last night, but my dreams were filled of memories of us. But this time, when he told me he was leaving and didn't want to stay in contact with me, I didn't wake up screaming like I usually do. Instead, I woke up calm, knowing that the hurt was gone.

I pushed the call button on the elevator and it opened immediately. I hit the button for the twenty fourth floor and silently said a prayer that he would be as excited to see me as I was to see him.

-----April 2002-----

As the clock ran down and the buzzer we went off, we all filed off of the bench and threw our gloves off in celebration. We had just won the league championship and were off to provincials. This was the biggest game I had ever played and I came out of it with thirteen blocked shots and an assist. I looked up into the crowd and spotted my dad, he had tears in his eyes and he was on his feet. I waved up to him in the stands as we all stood on the blue line to receive our medals.
"I wish Sidney was here." I said to my line mate Anna.

"Where is he?" She asked

"He's playing for a prep school down in the states. He won't be home until summer break." I frowned at the thought. This was supposed to be a happy moment for me.

"I'm sure you call or email him or something." Anna said as we received our medals.

"Yeah, I kinda want to get off the ice right now and call him." I laughed as we all gathered around and posed for a picture.

----------

As the elevator climbed I smiled at the memory. He was so happy for me when I told him we had won. He never doubted my ability and was always one of my biggest supporters, even when I thought he wasn't.

The elevator tinged and the doors opened up to the twenty fourth floor. I scaled the hallway until I found his room, I took a deep breath before clearing my throat and wiping my sweaty palms and knocking gently on his door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, I actually found this chapter harder to write than I thought. I have the next few mapped out and then I got to the page and had total writers block. I'm finding it a lot easier to write from Sid's POV other than Kelly's....anywho, I know it's short but I hope you enjoy. I'm sure there will be another update before the nights end. The next chapter is pretty important so I wanna get it out there!!

Thanks for reading and please don't be shy, let me know what you think!! And if you haven't already, please recommend and subscribe! You won't regret it!