Sequel: I Won't Give Up

A Blend of Fear & Passion

Greg

The week finally came for us to start at one of the most prestigious schools in New York. We were currently standing outside the building, staring up at it. "This is all so ... unreal," Dawson said, just barely over a whisper. I saw fear sink into his eyes as he started ringing his hands, the blood running out of his face. "I don't think I can do this now." I gripped his shoulders, forcing him to look at me.

"How many times do I have to tell you to listen before you do! You've earned this! All of your training before and after me brought you here. Give me, this school, and everyone else that teenager who did what he had to do to become the best student to walk among them," I said, his eyes still looking scared. "As Sophocles once said, 'Whoever neglects the arts when he is young has lost the past and is dead to the future.' I had the look of defeat when I got booted, so ready to give up. It was that quote that pushed me a little bit to at least teach others."

A small smile appeared on Dawson's face. "It's still hard to believe you came to New York to just help me get here," he said, looking up at me then looking up at the school. "Have you ever done this with any of your other students?" he asked, curious.

"If I have, do you think I would have met you?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Of all my students, even with your determination, I saw this kid who I knew would need a hand. You barely needed any help, but there were those times when in my class, I saw your determination falter. That's partial as to why I pushed you harder, I wanted that determination to be made of steel that would not and could not be broken."

Tapping his face, "Now, if you please, I would rather not waste anymore time outside when I could be wiping the floors of Juilliard with your ass!" I said, seeing the challenged accepted look in his eyes. Going into the school, we looked around in awe as we made our way to the dance studio. Just then, we bumped into Mrs. Mikels. "My apologies, Madam," I said, bowing towards her a little.

"Not to worry. It's hard to pay attention at first when you're new," she said, a warm smile on her face.

"I'll say," Dawson said, walking over to the trophy case. I smiled at him before returning my attention to Mrs. Mikels.

"He looks to be your pride and joy," she said, noticing my look of admiration. I let out a small laugh before replying.

"I've taught hundreds of students over a course of ten years or so, and while a handful of them had good potential, he proved to me the moment he walked through my door that he wasn't there to play around. He had a plan that he was going to make it to the top, no matter who he had to push and pull out of the way," I said, my voice filled with just as much admiration as I looked to have. "There were times he faltered, which made me push him to his limits. In return, he pushed me to mine. It wasn't until I saw him walking away from it all two weeks ago that I knew I had to show him what he was giving up. In doing that, it helped prove to me that I had practically given up."

"You can be surprised how one person can change everything," she said, making me look at her. She gripped my arm, gave me a light squeeze, and said, "Show the neanderthals here how it's done." Nodding, she winked and walked off. A few moments later, Dawson was beside me.

Walking down the hall and making a left, we headed towards the dance studio. When we came to the door, I saw the new group of students I would be teaching for the next two years or so. "Are you ready?" I asked, looking down at Dawson. I watched as he took a deep breath before answering.

"No, but it's time to face the music," he said, grabbing my hand. Squeezing it re-reassuringly, we let go and walked in, all eyes landed on us. Scanning the crowd, I recognized one of them.

"Ms. Abernathy," I said, raising an eyebrow. She gave me that look of bring it on before saying anything.

"Mr. Phillips," she said, in that same tone she used six years ago.

"You know her?" Dawson asked, causing both of us to laugh.

"Let's just say, she makes me look like a newbie," I said, walking over to the group and bringing her into a hug. "I'm proud of you," I said, winking at her. She smiled warmly and pushed me away.

"So you were able land a teaching job here, huh?" she asked, raising an eyebrow as I removed my shirt and pulled down on my tank top.

"Broadway, actually. Seeing how I was here with him, though, Mrs. Mikels wanted me to continue working on his training here," I said, hearing a few cheers.

"By the way, Phillips, being gay won't get you kicked out here," she said, grinning.

"Let's hope not," I said, clapping my hands together. "Alright, let's get to it!" I said, as I started calling out the moves, doing them with the class to make sure I wasn't too rusty. Dawson matched everyone, and I could tell that he and Fiona were battling it out. "Stop! Stop!" I said, an idea popping into my head. "To really get a taste of things, lets spice up today's class, shall we?"

Walking over to the stereo I said, "Everyone aside from Mr. Andrews -- who came with me today -- and Ms. Abernathy, please make room." Turning the stereo on, I said, "Lets see who really can push themselves and who remembers my temper." I grinned wickedly as I motioned them to dance.