Sequel: I Won't Give Up

A Blend of Fear & Passion

Greg

Over the next week, I saw a little tension between Dawson and Alex. I didn't confront either of them during school hours; wouldn't want a confrontation to break out. As I pushed my students, I noticed that Mrs. Mikels had walked in, just to see how I worked with everyone. I also noticed she brought in a set of flame-haired female twins. I told the class to practice the routine while I talked with Mrs. Mikels.

Walking over to her and the twins, I smiled and greeted the three of them. "Mr. Phillips, I would like you to meet Kylie and Viki Ferguson," she said, pointing to them respectively. "They've just moved here from Scotland about a month ago. They auditioned a couple of weeks ago, putting on a superb show," she said, beaming at them. "Girls, I assure you, you have a fine teacher here."

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Phillips," Kylie said, smiling as she hooked her arm with her sister's. I motioned for them to join the class and watched as they removed their jackets and immediately fell in rhythm with the class. Turning and facing Mrs. Mikels, I smiled at her.

"Did you get my email about the show we're putting on in a month?" she asked, sitting down and watching the students practice. I sat down beside her and nodded.

"Yes. I have a few routines we're doing, one of which is the one they're doing now," I said, watching as the twins were quickly picking up the steps. "Do you believe they're going to be ready?" She sat and thought for a long moment, watching every single student move with little to no mistakes. I smiled when I saw both Dawson and Fiona both stop and start ordering the class they were doing it all wrong.

"Those two are quite alike, wouldn't you say?" she asked, letting out a small laugh. Sighing a bit, she looked at me and said, "With your guidance, and those two barking out orders, they'll be ready by tomorrow." We both laughed, and watched as both Fiona and Dawson helped everyone with balance and techniques. Dawson met my gaze for a moment and gave me a quick smile before helping with Jackson's form.

I said my goodbye to Mrs. Mikels and immediately started working with the class again. As I started showing them a different routine, I was wondering about the twins' limit. I looked at Dawson and saw the same look of wonder on his face. Making my way over to him, I asked, "Are you wondering about the new girls' limits?"

"Yeah. I mean, I can tell they're very good, but I don't know if they're as pushed as the rest of us," Dawson said, keeping an eye on them.

"Want to find out?" I asked, fixing his posture when I noticed he starting messing up a bit.

"Do you really have to ask?" he retorted, smacking my hand away.

"Alright guys. Drill time!" I said, making a look of fear spread across the room, the only two not freaked out were Fiona and Dawson. They knew my temper, they knew my work, but most importantly, they knew how brutal my drills were, but they didn't know the routine I was going to give. It was always different. This one I knew they wouldn't know. "I am going to show you what the end routine will look like. It is your job to mimic it. Perfectly."

"That's not fair!" Alex called, getting furious. "Fifi and Dawson know everything, they've worked with you for years."

"No, Alexander, my good man. This routine they don't even know. I know this because I always did it with no one around. They know a lot of my drills, yes, but this one will even put them to the test," I said, looking at my two stars. Both of them, for a brief moment, had a look of fear in their eyes. The fear left, but not enough for me not to see it. "Good luck," I said, and immediately started, not once slowing down my pace.