‹ Prequel: Crowded Room
Sequel: Heaven Can Wait

Thinking of Winter

Jace

We decided we'd have the reception at the club back home, that way we could have it with familiar faces. At the moment, though, we were making our way in the Mr. Adachi's night club to celebrate. Before we could join the fun, we saw Mr. Adachi jump up on the platform where the DJ booth was and get handed a microphone. He started speaking in Japanese, and everyone laughed. After a few moments, he sounded as if he were about to introduce someone, pointed my way, and a light landed on me.

"Go," Zeth whispered. "He's wanting you to give them a taste of your skills."

"You understood that?" I whispered frantically, and Zeth just shrugged. I looked at Liam and he smiled, calming my nerves. I nodded and made my way up to the booth as the people cheered. Getting behind the booth, I got set up, looked one last time at Liam, and turned everything on.

Quickly, the light inside me ignited, and my eyes closed, my hands doing what they did best. I vaguely heard the crowd cheering and almost jumped when I felt something on my leg. Glancing down, I saw Mr. Adachi. Bending down, he said over the music, "Keep it up. If you can last about two hours, someone will relieve you. I then want to talk to you!"

"I can last the entire night, but alright!" I said back. He gave me thumbs up and I straightened up. Removing my jacket and setting it down, I popped my knuckles. Things just got serious.

Time Elapse

Once I was relieved, I was cheered by the crowd. Taking a bow, I flung my jacket over my shoulder and made my way over to the gang. A few times people stopped me and what I assumed was giving me props. I just smiled and nodded my head.

Once over to the others, Mr. Adachi came up to us. "I've seen videos of you thanks to Frank, but seeing you up there in person is much more impressive. Of all the DJ's that come through here over the last three years have never been so ... intimate with what they do." I smiled and felt my face heat up.

"Thank you. I've had a lot of time to work on my technique," I said, shaking his outstretched hand.

"Did you have anything to push you to put so much of yourself into it?" he asked, genuinely curious. I stared at Zeth who stared back at me with a pained expression.

"I had a lot going on over a course of five years, and it was all I had at the time for about three years," I said. He nodded, not pressing me further, for which I was grateful. I felt Zeth's hand grab my hand for a brief moment, but it was enough to make me want to cry.

Getting myself together, I asked, "What did you want to talk to me about?" He gestured me to follow him. Looking at the guys, I shrugged and followed him. Once at a reasonable distance, he looked around for a brief moment.

"Would you consider moving here? Liam owning this club with you as the DJ?" he asked point-blank. I stared at him in shock, then started hyperventilating.

Liam was by my side in an instant, his presence calming me down almost instantly. "What's got you so worked up?"

"Mr. Adachi, I believe, has a proposition," I said, looking up at Liam. "It's a ... rather big proposition, at that."

Liam looked at Adachi with a look that would have scared anyone, but I could tell Adachi wasn't just anyone. "What is this ... proposition?" he asked, crossing his arms.