Cath Trilogy: Hey Jane

Khan Residence

Mary Khan was short with a fiery personality. She was quick to take to anyone, and her bubbly smiles made Jane wish that she had known what it was like to have a mother. On the other had, Rhys wanted to know what it was like to have a father. The closest thing that he had was Donor 95B.

Mary hadn't felt that it was necessary to have a man in her life, so she took the initiative to have a child by herself. Rhys never seemed to mind it, and Jane didn't think that something so subtle would have mattered to him. It was so funny to her; Rhys was the only person that she could actually understand and feel some amount of empathy for. Normally, she liked to be as far away from people as she could, but the feeling of respect transferred to his maker.

"Rhys you've brought a girl home. When was the last time you did that?" Mary smirked at her son the same way that Rhys had inherited.

Rhys didn't return the facial expression but went red in the face instead. Well, as red as his dark skin which he had inherited from his mother would let him. "We're not in a relationship," Rhys rubbed the back of his neck.

"Come in," Mary smiled brightly at Jane, and Jane tried to return the favor. Her smile with an overbite that never seemed to make her satisfied. "Jane do you have any allergies."

The smell of falafel and hummus filled the air. Jane was reminded that Rhys had a Middle Eastern background. Jane the answered the question with a, "No."

Rhys took Jane's dark blue fleece jacket when his mother gave him a motherly stare. Jane smiled at how willing Rhys was to obey his mother. Rhys asked her a question when his mother went into the kitchen to check on the meal. "So, I was wondering... Tomorrow, I was going to go to the hospital where Catherine was admitted."

"And?" Jane froze and the smile vanished.

"If you didn't want to come, that would be fine," Rhys was careful with his choice of words.

"I'll be fine," Jane looked Rhys directly in the eyes once more before joining Mary in the kitchen. She wasn't angry, but she still felt a little hurt by the words. Her time in the psychiatric hospital was something that she wanted to scrub out of her past. She wished that there was a way that she could have kept this fact away from Rhys for all eternity. God forbid he found out the real secret that she was hiding if he went alone. That would be a disaster she wasn't sure he would be able to forget or forgive.

Jane just wanted to get the case solved then get out. She was never fortunate.
♠ ♠ ♠
Almost time for the big secret. Are you excited? I'm excited.