‹ Prequel: Stars and Stripes
Status: 8/15: Currently writing the next chapter. I've got finals, an article due, and work so it may not be up until after Sunday. But, it's still happening!

Heartbreak Warfare

Flowers For A Ghost

“Be honest,” Niall asked, “Do you still get naked at every possible moment?”

Harry lazily glanced over at the once-blonde Irishman. “There’s no shame in being naked. It’s natural, Nialler.”

A half-smile crept on Niall’s face. He hadn’t heard that nickname in years. It felt comforting. No one had said a nasty comment or started a fight yet so Niall felt hopeful that things would work out.

They had been working on their come-back album for eight weeks straight. Another two weeks of promoting and then a week of performances in the biggest arenas of the United Kingdom. It felt like old times. But, things had visibly changed.

For one, their appearances. They were no longer those teenage heart-throbs who placed third in X Factor. They were handsome twenty-something’s who didn’t do ridiculous things like bleach their hair or tattoo something on their bodies because it was funny or they just felt like it. There was no longer a blonde in One Direction. Niall had decided to keep his hair its natural chocolate color after rehab. Zayn no longer had a silly streak in his hair that he laughingly claimed made him look like a skunk and couldn’t believe the lads let him walk around like that. Liam kept his head shaved when he was at work but had been growing it out since recording started. Harry cut off his curls, feeling he it wasn’t his signature anymore. They weren’t One Direction anymore. They were the shell of what had been a fantastic relationship in unbelievable circumstances. Now, they were almost five strangers.

Louis kept his hair short. Long hair felt too childish and Louis had grown out of that mold. He was the oldest of the group and he had finally begun to act that way.

“Get your feet off the seat.” Louis scolded Niall. Niall immediately slid his feet down.

Get your feet off the seat!” Zayn repeated, grinning widely. Niall stuck his tongue, falling back into One Direction mode.

“I’ve been sitting on a plane for six bloody hours and now I’m stuck in a car with you lot. I need to stretch a bit, yeah?” Niall grumbled, rolling his head so it stared out the cold window. His warm breath fogged it up. The city passed by sluggishly. At this time of night, the streets were crowded. Especially on a weekend during Christmas time. Niall was shocked that they were even moving. There had to be at least a million people walking around, bustling by for sightseeing, last minute shopping, or coming home from work on their daily routine.

“Oh, piss off.” Liam cracked a smile, staring up at the familiar Times Square.

“Now, now, ladies.” Louis tsked. Zayn bit his smiling lip and adjusted his glasses.

Harry remained silent, taking the rushed city surroundings in. He had this creeping feeling, like a steady hand was gripping his organs and lightly squeezing; not enough to suffocate him, but just enough to cause discomfort.

Five years ago, Harry had waltzed into this city on top of the world with his four best friends by his side, conquering America with their looks and cheeky quips. As he watched those same friends interact with each other like all those years before, only not bothering to bring Harry in on the fun, that feeling inside him got tighter.

Finally, the car came to a halt. They gathered their things inside the van. Zayn made sure he had his laptop with him. A substitute was taking over for him for a few weeks of touring, but he still had to grade all the homework in his classes. He had a folder full of essays dying to be graded and he knew it was going to be a long night, with or without the lads’ excitement of being back in the States.

The hotel they pulled up to was surrounded by screaming girls and bright, flashy posters with their smiling teenage faces gracing them. Louis laughed, pointing at one that claimed they were legal. “Looks like we’re getting lucky tonight, boys.”

Liam rolled his dark eyes, grinning along with his friend, slapping him gently on the back, “That ship has set sail for me, Lou. More for you.”

Louis shook his head, the smile lightly fading. His eyes scanned the car before falling on Harry.

Niall grimaced, knowing what was coming.

“More for Harry.” Louis said icily. Harry stared at his old best mate stonily.

“More for me.” He repeated. A sigh of relief flooded the tight car. There would be no band-breaking fights tonight.

“Let’s get out there, yeah?” Niall suggested in the silent air. “I’m exhausted.”

“How long do you think that’s going to take?” Zayn questioned, glancing outside. The four boys sized up the crowd and distance to the hotel’s entrance like they used to do. It was a game they played whenever security didn’t interfere.

“Five minutes.” Louis decided.

“Are you mental?” Niall argued, “There’s at least a hundred birds out there. Fifteen.”

Liam shook his head. “Sorry, laddies, you’re both wrong: twenty.”

Zayn chuckled, shaking his head. “You were always the worst at this game, Li. I’m gonna cut the difference and say twelve.”

“Look at you getting all fancy.” Louis nudged Zayn shoulder playfully. “It’s on.”

“What about you, Harry?” Niall tried including the silent man. Harry shrugged, eying the crowd.

“Eight.”

Louis pursed his lips, biting back his retort. One per car ride he had decided.

“Now it’s on.” Louis nodded, pushing open the door. The deafening screams flooded their ears.

* * *


Much to Louis chagrin, they hit the hotel doors in eight minutes and thirty seconds flat. He had been timing it to make sure the other lads couldn’t cheat.

The automatic doors shut behind the five men and security held things at bay outside. Liam broke into a smile. He had forgotten the rush that hundreds of fans gave him.

“Time?” Zayn unhooked his red scarf.

Louis tried to pretend he hadn’t heard, busying himself with the straps on his bag.

“Oi! Lou?” Zayn waved his hand in front the blue-eyed man. “You deaf?”

“Eight-thirty.” Louis muttered grudgingly, like it was Harry’s fault he had guessed right.

“Harry wins.” Niall said unnecessarily. “Bloody wanker.” He grinned, smacking the curly-haired man on the back, “Let’s get checked in.”

They followed the Irishman to the counter. Harry absentmindedly watched the television screen in the lobby across the way as Louis took charge and gave the man at the counter their names. Some gossip channel was on. He watched as their faces flickered across the flat screen. The red head reminded everyone of Harry’s greatest mistake and nausea overtook him. He gripped the counter until his knuckles went bloodless.

“Oi, Harry,” Liam questioned, “What’s the—” His eyes connected with the screen and he understood. Liam looked away and distracted himself with Louis handing him his key. There was nothing to say.

Niall hurried off to the elevator immediately.

“What’s up with him?” Zayn questioned.

“Probably gonna call Kinsey.” Louis answered.

“He knows it’s like three in the morning, right?” Liam raised his brows.

Louis shrugged, “He’s a fool in love.”

“She’s gonna kill him.” Zayn laughed as they waited for the next elevator. Niall had left without them.

“What’s she gonna do?” Louis said, “Swim here to kick his arse? She’s three thousand miles away.”

There was a tiny bing and the metal doors slid open. The four men walked in quietly, exhausted from their long journey. They took the ride to the top floor in silence.

Harry’s eyes flickered to Louis’ pale and tired face. He assumed the eldest had missed the program while checking in, and he was glad for it. He didn’t want to deal with an explosion of hate from Louis. Not when Harry was finally back in New York, not when he was so close.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi there! I'm backish. Xmas break starts Friday so expect more updates after that, yeah? (:
Thank you so much for the support on this story already. It's inspiring and sweet. I heart you guys!