It Takes Someone Special to Be a Dad

First Game Back










Kate’s POV
“Geno you ready?” Dan patted his shoulder as I helped him stretch.
“Yes,” but I could see the uncertainty in his eyes.

It was his first game back, he had been out on the ice training with the team but this was different. The playoffs started next week so everyone was in high tensions and these guys aren't his teammates; these guys aren't going to go easy on him but I was convinced he would do fine.

“It’s going to be ok,” I reminded him as I continued to help him stretch.
“It still worry me,” he admitted shyly.
“It’s ok to be scared you know, you don’t always have to be this big tough hockey player… I kind of like it when you’re a big softy,” I wrapped my arms around him and squeezed him tight, “I love you.”
“I love you too,” he looked a little more at ease.

“Now go and get dressed,” I dragged him to his feet and slapped his ass.
“You keep doing that,” he frowned.
“Well you have a nice ass,” I put my hands on him as he walked towards the locker room.
“No,” he grabbed my hands, “unless,” he moved his hands over my hips and around to mine.
“GENO!” Dan yelled.
“You will just have to wait until tonight then,” I whispered in his ear before pulling away and disappearing down the hall.

Evgeni’s POV
I know Kate was trying to make me feel more at ease and to be honest she had taken my mind completely off of the fact I had a hockey game to play but once she left I began to feel sick again.

“I can’t,” I turned around as everyone began heading out of the locker room.
“Yes you can,” Sid pushed me.
“No, Sid, no I can’t,” I felt my heart beginning to race.
“Kate, come here,” Sid pushed me up against the wall stopping me from getting away.

“What’s going on?” Kate looked between Sid and I.
“I can’t,” I panicked.
“What do you mean you can’t?”
“Go out, I can’t,” I pulled away from them and headed back into the locker room.

“Evgeni!” Kate called after me.
“I can’t,” I slumped into my stall throwing my gloves and stick on the ground, “out there, I can’t,” I pulled my helmet off feeling all hope of ever getting back out on the ice slip through my fingers.
“Yes, you can,” she grabbed my hands, “You can do it, you need to do it.”
“No, I can’t.”
“Wait here, one minute,” she got up and ran out of the room.

Kate’s POV
“Kate, where’s Geno?” Dan rushed back down the tunnel.
“We are having just a minor problem, don’t worry I will sort it out,” I ran up to the family suite.

“Vero, I need my son,” I snatched Asher from her lap where he had been staring at the television.
“Mummy?”
“Ash, I need you to help me help Geno get on the ice ok?”
“Ok,” he looked confused as I dragged him back to the locker room.

“Geno play,” Asher climbed up into Evgeni’s lap.
“I can’t,” he shook his head.
“Yes,” Asher pouted, “Geno play,” Asher’s little hands grabbed Evgeni’s face.
“Please, if you’re not going to do it for yourself, do it for him,” I put my hand on Asher’s back.
“Ok,” I could see him give in. He always gave into anything my son did or said so I knew it would work.

**************************************

“GENO!” Asher cheered from Evgeni’s stall as the guys came back in.
“You did it,” I smiled as he wrapped his arms around me.
“I know,” he beamed back, “Thank you,” he pulled me up to him and captured my lips with his.

“Geno!” Asher jumped from the stall into Evgeni’s arms.
“Woah, careful,” he caught him in time.
“Hadtrig,” Asher put 3 of his tiny fingers up to show how many goals Evgeni had scored.
“You mean hat trick,” I sounded out the word for him.
“hadrig,” he tried again.
“You will get it eventually,” I laughed ruffling up his hair.

**************************************

“You sir,” I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him into me, “owe me for my sons heroics.”
“I know,” he picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist as he carried me upstairs to my bedroom.

“You know if you just moved in we wouldn't have to worry about this never being found again,” I said as I tossed his shirt somewhere on the floor.
“My house bigger,” he breathed out as he detached from my neck.
“My house is child safe,” he sighed and I knew I had won the argument, “so you move in with us?” I grabbed his face and made him look at me.
“Yeah,” he smiled and captured my lips.

“Mummy!” Asher called from his room.
Evgeni sighed and let his head fall onto my shoulder, “I know,” I felt the same way now the fun was over for the night, “but it’s part of having kids, no time to yourself,” I wiggled my way out from underneath him.

“What’s going on buddy?”
“Head hurts,” I could see the tears wanting to escape from his eyes.
“It’s ok,” I scooped him up as he began sobbing in my arms, “Evgeni!” I called out.
“Yeah?” I heard him rush down the hall.
“Can you grab a glass of water and some panadol,” I picked Asher up and carried him into the bedroom, “he’s not well,” I ran my hand over my son’s warm forehead.

Evgeni ran his hand up and down Asher’s back as my son settled on top of me, his head resting on my chest.
“No more crying baby, just sleep,” I kissed his forehead as his eyes began to slip shut.
“It’s ok,” Evgeni repeated the same gesture as I did as Asher slipped off into sleep.