Status: Completed - Thanks for Reading!

Hope for Better Weather

I'm Hiding the Pain

My phone rang, pulling me out of my deep slumber. I looked at the clock and noticed that it was 2 am, making me wonder who was calling me at this time of night. Part of me hoped it was either my sister or mother calling to apologize and fix things but I knew that was the longshot. It was early morning in the 27th meaning it had just been a little over 24 hours since I’d stormed out of our family Christmas. There was no way they were calling to apologize already, and at this time of night. They were probably waiting for me to apologize first which wasn’t going to happen. Too many times I’d apologized first or lied and said I was fine when I really wasn’t – not this time though; I was tired of catering to them.

I picked up my phone and didn’t recognize the number calling me but decided to answer it anyway. I was already awake thanks to its annoying ringing and figured it was either a wrong number or an emergency – I wanted to answer in case it was the latter.

“Hello?” I answered, some grogginess still apparent in my voice.

“Clark, it’s Ross. I have a huge favor to ask you.”

“Ross, it’s 2 in the morning. Can’t this wait?” I groaned.

“Not really. I’m at a party but I’m too drunk to drive home and it’s a bit of a long story but there’s really no one else I can call. Is there any way you could come and pick me up?”

Part of me wanted to tell Ross there was no way I was driving to campus in the middle of the morning and get him but the other part of me – the bigger part – couldn’t say no to Ross. He’d become like a younger brother to me and he needed my help.

I sighed. “I’ll be there soon.”

“Thanks Clark. You’re the best.”

Ross told me which frat he was at before hanging up. I rolled out of bed with a groan and threw on a sweatshirt as I grabbed my keys and made my way out towards my car. I pulled up to Alpha Chi Delta and saw that the party was still going strong even though it was nearing 2:30 in the morning. Ross got in my car within a minute and I grimaced at what he was wearing.

“What is that?” I asked as I began to drive off.

“Alpha Delt was having a belated ugly Christmas sweater party.”

“Well you definitely got the ugly part down,” I muttered.

“2 bucks at Goodwill baby!” Ross laughed but quickly became serious. “Thanks so much for doing this for me, Clark. My ride bailed on me and I’m not that drunk but don’t want to attempt to drive home just in case.”

“Anytime Ross,” I paused to debate whether I should tell him the truth or not. It seemed as if John hadn't told him about us yet and I didn't feel like explaining it but knew that he deserved to know. Plus, I didn't want John to think I was trying to use his brother to weasel my way back into his life.

“Ross, I don’t mind picking you up but you know that John and I are no longer together, right? Actually we never were.”

“Yeah, I know.”

I waited for Ross to continue or say something else but he didn't so I tried to prod him along and find out what’s going on in that head of his. “So why did you ask me to pick you up? Most people don’t call up their brother’s fake fiancée when they need help.”

“Most people don’t have a brother who has a fake fiancée,” Ross smirked.

“Touché,” I laughed. “So if you knew about your brother and me, why did you call me? I figured your family wouldn’t be very happy with me right now. I did lie to you guys.”

“We’re not mad at you,” Ross shook his head. “Yeah, you guys lied to us and it was a messed up situation but we understand why you guys did it. John told us about everything with your sister and ex. So, we’re not mad at you. John on the other hand, well that’s a different story.”

“Why are you mad at John?” I asked.

Instead of answering, Ross changed the subject and answered one of my previous questions. “I called you because my parents are sleeping and wouldn’t’ be too happy if I woke them up, my friends are either out of town or drunk too, Shane just has his learner’s permit and can’t drive without mom or dad in the car yet, and I’m not really speaking to John at the moment.”

“Why aren’t you speaking to John?”

My question was only met with silence and I was beginning to become frustrated. “Ross, why aren’t you speaking to your brother?”

“Itriedtopunchhim,” Ross mumbled.

I did a double take, not sure if I heard him correctly. “You what?!”

“I…uhh…I tried to punch him. I saw him sneaking out one day to meet Laci and I thought he was cheating on you so I took a swing at him. Our parents found us fighting and had to separate us. I told them he was cheating on you and that’s when he told us the real story – about how you guys faked dating and the engagement and everything. He also told us you guys ended your arrangement because he wanted to work things out with Laci so I tried to punch him a second time.”

Thankfully we were stopped at a red light because I groaned and hit my head against the steering wheel. “I’m tearing your family apart.”

“You’re not tearing our family apart.”

“Ross, you tried to punch your brother…twice!”

“He deserved it,” Ross shrugged. “All of us like you better than Laci and think he’s stupid to go running back to her. All she did was ruin her life. When he was with you though, he was happy and alive.”

“It was fake.”

“It seemed pretty real.”

I had no comeback for that so instead we sat in silence for a few moments, both of us lost in our thoughts.

“He’s a fucking idiot, you know.”

“Who?” I asked. I had a pretty good idea of who Ross was referring to but just wanted to make sure.

“My brother,” Ross spat but I knew his anger was towards John, not towards me. “You’re perfect for him and he should have found a way to make your fake relationship real. Instead he’s a stubborn ass and is trying to fix something that’s unfixable. He’s stubborn and doesn’t want to admit that Laci isn’t the one for him after he’s wasted so much time on her.”

“Ross, thank you for your support but this is mine and John’s battle. You don’t have to fight it for us.”

By this time we were at the O’Callaghan’s house and I pulled into the driveway.

“I know. I just wish John would come to his senses and realize what he’s messed up. He misses you; I can tell. He just won’t admit it. Well thanks for picking me up and bringing me back,” Ross said as he put his hand on the door handle to open it. “And you should come visit us sometime, when John’s not there obviously. We all miss you though and would love to see you again.”

“Thanks Ross. It means a lot to me,” I softly said.

“Of course,” Ross smiled. “And I know that my brother is an idiot and doesn’t deserve a second chance but I’m hoping for a John and Clark reunion.”

I gave Ross one last smile and watched to make sure he made it safely into the house before driving away. I was glad I had the support of the O’Callaghan’s since half of my family was supporting me but none of that was going to change the fact that John was still and Laci and I was still alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit

Everything just keeps getting more and more complicated...and I keep making you wait for a John and Clark reunion (that is, if there is one haha)

I've started a new story because I finished one of my others (Uncharted Territory) and it'd be awesome if you'd check it out. Hint, it's another JohnOh one. Just click here

Thanks to astoldbycola, JohnoFanFictions, frankieraepain, WetheCATHLYN, everdeen, thatswhatshesaid0, f0revert0rie, staywithme_, AlisonTimeLow, ninaclaire, and Selina_Kyle!