Status: Completed - Thanks for Reading!

Hope for Better Weather

Faithful Friends Who are Dear to Us

“Superman! What’s up? I haven’t seen you in forever!”

I smiled and hugged Greg Daniels, one of my good friends from high school and the only person I ever allowed to call me superman. “I’m good, Greg. How about you? I heard you got a job in California as a sports reporter for a television station. That’s awesome!”

“Thanks. I love it. You still working as a photographer?”

“Yeah, I am.”

“That’s great. I know that was always your dream job,” Greg smiled at me.

“Clark, don’t be rude. Introduce everyone to John,” Carys hissed at me.

I rolled my eyes but grabbed John’s hand and pulled him up beside me. “Everyone, this is John, my boyfriend. John, this is everyone – Greg, Kara, Michael, Tracy, Steve, and Zoey.”

“Hi everyone,” John said as he waved.

“Great, now that everyone knows each other, let’s sit,” Carys said and we all followed her lead.

I ended up next to John with Zoey, my best friend since third grade, on my other side.

“Why did we vote her senior class president? All that power is obviously still in her head,” Zoey whispered to me about Carys and I snorted a laugh in return.

Carys shot the two of us a dirty look and I knew she probably knew we were talking about her, especially since Carys and Zoey had never really gotten along. I didn’t really care though. Carys was a big girl and if she had something to say to the two of us she would. I knew there was no way she would say anything though because Carys hated making any kind of scene in public – instead she’d just wait until we got into the car and bitch at me on the ride home. Thankfully Carys’ attention was diverted by our waiter coming by with wine and filling up my glasses.

“Oh, none for me, thank you,” Carys said as the waiter began pouring wine in her glass.

“I’ll take her glass and mine,” I piped up as I reached for her glass.

John grabbed Carys’ glass from me though as he chuckled and said, “You know how you get when you have too much wine, sweetie.”

“Good call,” Gabe nodded at John as they both laughed which earned the both of them dirty looks courtesy of me.

“So, Clark and John, how long have you guys been dating?” Kara asked after the waiter had filled up everyone’s glasses and we had given him our orders.

I said, “9 months,” at the same time John said, “A year.”

I instantly began blushing and thought of how I could fix this faux pas as everyone gave us quizzical looks.

I smiled and grabbed John’s hand as I said, “We disagree on how long we’ve been going out. You see John and I went out on a few dates but then he went on tour for three months. He counts us as being a couple starting with those dates but I don’t count us as being a couple until after he returned from tour and officially asked me to be his girlfriend.”

“I thought it was insinuated that we were a couple before I left for tour but I forgot how girls are so literal and need every single detail laid out,” John laughed and the rest of the guys joined in along with raising their glasses to toast him.

“Well sweetie, you’re so laidback that nothing would get done if I wasn’t around to worry about the details,” I sweetly smiled but my eyes told a different story.

“There is just so much sexual tension right now. You guys are going to have a good night tonight,” Zoey, who had no filter, winked.

“Patrick and I better buy some ear plugs,” Carys joked as I sat there as red as a tomato.

“Ok, I think it’s time to change subjects,” I quickly interjected.

“Oh, I’m sorry, Clark. I forgot how much you hate talking about your personal life, especially if it involves anything sexual,” Carys said.

Tracy spoke up while laughing and said, “Remember the time she freaked out junior year after homecoming when…”

“When you guys laughed at me for dancing with Dane Goode,” I quickly interrupted.

Tracy gave me a weird look. “Actually I was talking about…”

“I was just doing it to be nice,” I said, hoping she would get the hint to stop talking.

“Well Clark, you don’t have to talk about what you and John plan on doing tonight,” Greg said. “But we’re just happy that you’ve found someone.”

“Greg’s right,” Michael jumped in. “We were worried that you would never find anyone after you and Pa…”

“Pam and I made the pact to be crazy cat ladies together? Don’t be silly Michael, we made that deal in seventh grade,” I nervously laughed.

“No, I meant,” Greg started.

“Hey, is that weird Will over there?” Zoey quickly asked.

Everyone looked over to where Zoey was pointing but quickly turned back around.

“No, I don’t think so,” Kara said.

“Oh, it must have been someone that looked like him,” Zoey shrugged. “Speaking of him, does anyone know whatever happened to him?”

This got everyone started on a new tangent for which I was thankful for. I looked at Zoey and mouthed “thank you” to her which earned me a sly smile and nod in response from her – I could always count on her to have my back.

“What was that all about?” John leaned over and whispered to me.

“Oh, nothing. Just embarrassing high school stories,” I whispered back.

“You know, couples aren’t supposed to keep secrets from each other.”

“Good thing we aren’t a real couple then,” I smirked.

Dinner after that was pretty uneventful and consisted of everyone just getting caught up after not having seen each other in a while. I was just thankful that I was no longer in the hot seat. As soon as our check arrived John pulled out his wallet which caused another min-argument between us. I told him I couldn’t let him pay for my meal and he said there was no way he was going to let me pay because he was a gentleman. I once again reminded him that we weren’t a real couple but he just ignored me.

“So that was an interesting dinner,” Gabe said as we drove back to the house.

“Yeah, I’m so glad we went,” I muttered.

“I have no clue what you guys are talking about. It was so much fun,” Carys said while I just looked at Gabe and rolled my eyes.

Patrick pulled the car into the driveway and I practically tackled John as I tried to get out of the car. There was only so much time I could be in an enclosed space with my sister and Patrick, and I had reached my limit.

“How was dinner?” My mother asked as soon as the five of us walked in the house.

“It was so much fun,” Carys said in her cheerleader voice that she never really got rid of, even after graduating high school.

“I’m so glad,” My mother smiled before turning to me. “Clark, did you and John have fun?”

“Yeah, it was great,” I mumbled. “Well, I’m exhausted so I think I’m going to show John where the spare bedroom is and then go to bed.”
“Oh honey, we actually put John’s stuff in your room. Henry and I aren’t so old school to think that the two of you haven’t been intimate yet. We figured John would be more comfortable with you.”

I groaned, not only at the fact that my mom was having John sleep in my room but also, at the fact that she used the word intimate.

“Mom, really it’s fine.”

“Yeah, Mrs. Lewis, I wouldn’t want to disrespect you or Henry in any way,” John cut in.

“Nonsense. You guys are perfectly fine. Anyway, we turn the heat down at night to save money so you guys will want to keep each other warm,” my mom winked at us.

I knew there was no use arguing with her so I turned and made my way upstairs to my room.

“I think I threw up a little during that conversation,” I said as I closed the door to my bedroom.

“What? Does the thought of touching me repulse you that much?” John smirked.

“No…it’s not that. I mean I’m not saying I want to touch you, not that I would mind it since you’re attractive and all. Wait, I didn’t mean that. I just…ugh,” I mumbled and stuttered as John laughed.

I sighed and pointed to door in my bedroom that led to my bathroom. “The bathroom is over there and you can have my bed. I’ll just sleep on the floor.”

“Clark, I’m not going to let you sleep on the floor,” John argued.

“You’re the guest; I’m not having you sleep on the floor.”

“I’m used to being on tour. Believe me, a floor is more comfortable than a van.”

“Fine. There’s really no point in arguing with you, is there?” I asked.

“Nope,” John smirked before walking into the bathroom.

Twenty minutes later after both of us had done what we needed in the bathroom and setting up the blankets on the floor for John we were finally in ready to sleep.

“So, what were they really talking about when they were talking about you tonight at dinner?” John asked as we laid there in the dark.

“Nothing.”

“It sure seemed like more than nothing,” John replied and I could just picture him smirking.

“Goodnight John,” I said signaling the end of the conversation. John didn’t seem fazed though because I could hear him chuckling to himself before he told me goodnight.

Before I finally fell asleep I couldn’t help but think that this plan was turning out differently than I had originally thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sure some of you might be a little curious/confused right now with what Clark is hiding but some of those questions will be answered soon (maybe even the next chapter). And Clark isn't the only one that has secrets ;)

Hope everyone had a happy New Year!

Thanks to these lovely people:
A-Book-Of-Me-And-You
collidewiththesky (glad you liked her name, I couldn't help myself haha)
trixilla
liar's lane.
ginnygene (you'll find out more about Patrick soon)
ninaclare
MedicatedDreams (you may be on to something...)