Over Again

In With The Lads

The media blew that kiss in the rain way out of proportion. That was the problem though. Anything that happened between Harry and anyone was immediately taken the wrong way. He helped an old woman with a Zimmer frame carry her shopping to her house, and the next day, it was said he was apparently flirting with her! That wasn't true, of course. He just helped her.

It was annoying, though. If ever we went out together, there would have to be someone standing between us. We couldn't have any physical contact out in public or even talk without the press giving him that manwhore title. It had happened when we were first together. That was the reason we called it off. I received all sorts of hate just because we were together. The pressure got to Harry too much, as he wasn't used to it. He had only just come off of the X Factor.

Two years later, Harry had accumulated a reputation that didn't fit him well at all. Yes, he had been out on many dates, and yes, he did temporarily date someone who was fifteen years his senior, but no, that didn't make him deserve the title he had been labelled with. It wasn't fair on him.

To know after all of that and everything that we'd been through that had slotted in between, he still loved me, was a feeling I couldn't get over. I never thought that it could happen again. I had gotten myself a boyfriend, who's name was Matthew, but he turned out to be the wrong one. Harry was single at the time I discovered Matthew had cheated on me. Harry had never taken a liking to Matt, but that had tipped him over the edge.

That didn't matter anymore. Matthew was no longer in my life, and good riddance is what I thought to that. Looking back, he bought nothing but bad news. Oh well. Harry was different. It wasn't Harry who carried the traumas; it was the press.

We lay on the sofa one evening, waiting for the boys to arrive. Although Liam was the most timely of the five, none of the lads were ever perfectly punctual. There was always a few minutes delay. We didn't mind though. Over time, I had become more and more used to it.

"Remind me. Why are they coming round?" I asked.

Harry peered down at me. "Would you rather they didn't?"

"No! I enjoy their company, just that I was wondering why they were coming this time."

"They're just coming for the night. Probably eat, watch a film, do something else and get to bed," Harry had summed up our evenings with the boys in a sentence. Eat, watch television, talk and sleep. It never sounded exciting, yet it was enjoyable.

"They're not going to be here for a while, are they?" I enquired, raising an eyebrow at the clock that showed it had passed five 'o' clock.

"Probably not. Want to do anything while we wait?" He asked. I thought for a minute before nodding and answering.

"It's a warm night and it's not going to get dark for a while. How about we go and play a bit if badminton outside?" I suggested.

Harry's house was huge. More bedrooms than needed, a large living room, bathrooms, a large kitchen and all sorts of rooms. The garden was of a lovely size, too. He had a patio area which was accompanied by a table and chairs to sit at. A big lawn which was perfectly looked after, and flower beds with roses that were beautifully pruned. A little way down the garden was a badminton court, and behind that was yet more grass. At the very top of the garden was a swimming pool, illuminated by little lights that reflected over the water. There were two oak trees just behind and between the oak trees was a seat-swing. We often just went to sit at the top of the garden and curl up on the swinging garden sofa.

Harry agreed and hopped up, outstretching his hand for mine. I took it and stood, walking hand in hand to the garden. Harry took a shuttlecock and an pair of rackets and passed me one. We made our way to the court and stood on either side of the net. Harry served and I hit it back over the net.

"You've got better at this!" Harry announced, running to the back of the court to pass the shuttlecock back. He hit it and I dived to meet it at the front of the court. He surged for it and used a little more power than needed. The shuttlecock landed off-court.

"One point to me! In your face, Styles!" I joked.

"Alright, Thompson. Lets see who gets this next one!" He challenged. I winked at him as I served the next one.

He returned it and I did the same. We kept a rally going for quite some time. Harry was determined not to lose this point. I ran from one edge of the court to the other, insisting I wouldn't lose. I gave a backhand hit as I voice called out;

"Harry? Where are you?"

I turned to see Niall shouting up the garden. Harry turned to look as well. I watched as the shuttle landed just behind Harry.

"Oh yes! Two-one to me!" I cheered, holding my arms and the racket up in the air in victory.

"Niall! You lost me that point!" Harry complained, trying to fight back a grin.

"Oh please. Harry, love, that point was never yours!" I winked. He dropped his racket and ran up to me from behind. He wrapped his arms around my middle, lifted me and spun me around, blowing raspberries into my neck. I dropped the racket as I held onto his arms to support myself.

"Harry!" I giggled. "Harry! Let me down!"

I struggled. He finally let me down. When he did, I turned to face him, throwing my arms around his neck and pecking his lips.

"This match is not over," he promised in a joking manner.

"Oh, I'm aware of that. Though there's no point in continuing. We all know who's going to win."

"It's early stages, Thompson, early stages."

He scooped up the rackets and the shuttle before wrapping his one arm around my waist and walking me to the house to meet the lads.

"What you two been doing?" Liam asked.

"I was thrashing Harry and badminton," I joked.

"I was just getting warmed up..." He smiled cheekily.

"Yeah, if that's what you want to call it," I winked.

The boys had brought us food which we happily sat down and devoured. I hadn't been aware of the hunger in my stomach until then. I stuffed the chicken into my mouth, choking as I tried to fight back a laugh when Niall watched me eating, intrigued at how I diminished the food. I could be very non-lady like when the time came to it. I sat and started to eat with more elegance - exaggerating a little bit. This caused Niall to grin.

"Anyone want a game of badminton?" Harry offered. He just wanted to show that he wasn't easy to beat. However, of he defeated one of the boys, it wasn't saying much, because they weren't great at it.

"Yeah, alright," Louis accepted. He knew he didn't really have a chance, but it was worth it.

We all made our way to the garden. Niall, Liam and myself sat on the sofa-swing, onlooking the match with the pool between us and the court. Zayn sat on the grass next to us. Harry served and managed to gain a point not ten seconds in.

"Oh, come on Louis! You can do better than that!" I cheered. "Louis! Louis! Louis! Louis!"

I started up a chant and started clapping and soon enough the boys sat either side of me and in front of me joined in. Louis drew himself back with a point. Well done, Louis.

I relaxed, watching my boyfriend and his best friend play a match of badminton.

All of a sudden. Arms were wrapped around my back and under my legs and I was being lifted up.

"One! Two! Three!" Shouted out three voices in unison. Next thing I knew, I was hitting the surface of freezing water with a huge 'splash'!

I kicked under the water, scrunching up my eyes, panicking a little before another pair of muscular arms wrapped themselves around me and pulled me up. I gasped for air and opened my eyes. I turned to see three of five boys laughing like maniacs, Zayn rolling about on the floor.

"What are you playing at!"I screeched.

"We played a joke.... And then... And then as soon as you.... Got underwater.... Old Superman here goes.... And tears off his shirt and jacket... Before he dives in after you!" Niall explained between gasps for air to steady himself and stop himself from laughing. It didn't work. He just doubled up in laughter again.

Harry sat me at the edge of the pool before jumping out himself. He took my hand and scooped up his shirt and jacket and walked me to the other end of the badminton court.

"I ripped these off so I could so this!" He called over to them.

He turned his back on them, completely hiding me from them.

"No ones going to see you other than me. Take off that sopping wet shirt. I'll slip this one on before anyone can see anything," he whispered. He prepared his shirt and I slid off mine. He pulled his down, over my head and then wrapped his jacket around me.

He looked down and smiled. "Better?"

"Much," I grinned. He placed his hands on my waist and my hands reached for his neck. He tenderly kissed my lips, not pulling away. I didn't mind. I wouldn't have pulled away if it weren't for Zayn.

"Oh, please, guys. Get a room. No one wants to see a shirtless Harry snog Marie," he announced, mockingly disgusted. We broke off and giggled. I sat on the astro-turf at the corner of the badminton pitch as Harry and Louis resumed the game.

After Louis had been sorely beaten by Harry, we made our way inside. Harry and I claimed the sofa, curling up to each other. The boys scattered themselves around the room before settling. The night was steadily growing dark and the stars began to shine. It was getting late. I was quite bored of watching television, so I poked Harry in the ribs.

"What do you want, sweetheart?" He asked.

"D'you know where my phone is?" I enquired.

"Last time I saw it, it was on the kitchen table."

"All right."

I made to stand and fetch it but Harry stood up and sat me down. He disappeared into the other room to retrieve my phone for me. When he returned, he was staring down at the screen in a puzzled manner.

"Marie... You have eight missed calls from your mum...."

"Oh geez. Now I know I'm in trouble! Quick, chuck it here!"

He threw it across to me and I caught it. I jumped up from the settee and ran into the hallway. I rang my mum's number and waited for her to pick up.

"Hello?" Came a frantic voice from the other end of the receiver.

"Mum? You called me?"

"Where have you been? What have you been doing? I have been calling you all night-"

"Mum!" I cut her off. "I was playing badminton with Harry and I left my phone on the kitchen table!"

"I called the house phone as well!"

"Well, I can't hear that half way up the garden, can I?"

"I always knew he was trouble!"

"That had nothing to do with Harry. I left my phone. Don't blame him," I sneered. "What could possibly be so urgent?"

"It's your dad!" She managed to stammer, before breaking down in tears. My stomach jolted. Now I was worried.

My dad was a sniper. He had been serving over in Afghanistan. I couldn't bear to think what could have happened to him.

"Mum... What's wrong?" I gulped.

"He was shot twice.... Once in his shoulder and once in his appendix. He's been transferred to a hospital over here, in Britain. You need to come and see him!"

"How is he?"

"Critical.... They.... They...." She broke down in tears. "They don't know if he can make it!"

I stood in shock. She bade goodbye and hung up on me. I made my way into the living room in a pure state of shock.

"Are you alright, babe?" Harry asked and I stopped in my tracks in the middle of the floor. I forced my pained gaze upon him. He jumped up to come and hold me, and that's where I lost it. I collapsed in his arms crying my eyes out until I fell to my knees. He knelt down to comfort me, but nothing worked. I could lose my dad forever... I couldn't lose him. He had given me so much! I loved him! He was my dad! I couldn't lose him. I couldn't let it happen
♠ ♠ ♠
So when you get the chance, please comment :) thanks lovelies! xx