Status: complete. click ahead for the final chapters.

I Don't Do Lonely Well

home.

“Alright, here’s the thing.” Two target bags drop on the small kitchen table in front of me. Rian and Zack follow Virginia in through the bus doors. “If we’re getting married,” she pauses to ruffle through one of the bags, “I’m dying your hair back to normal.” She drops a box of hair dye on my lap.
“Aw, come on!” Jack whines.
She glances up at him and then back at me. “Shit, don’t throw me in the decision-making position,” I laugh. “It’s kind of growing on me, though.”
“That hair is the sole reason you’re not getting laid,” Zack chimes in.
“As true as that may be, a bet is a bet.”
“I threatened to dye Cody’s hair pink, and he immediately gave me the go-ahead,” Virginia replies. I stick my lip out in a pout. “Alex, I love you, but you look like an asshole.” I let out a loud laugh.
“Wait!” All of our attentions turn towards the shout. Flyzik emerges from the bunks. “Did you just say getting married?” He looks around at the five of us. “I’m the last to know, aren’t I?”
I just nod. “Sorry, buddy. I broke the news this morning, and you were still passed the fuck out.”
“Well, I knew,” Zack shrugs, pulling out his camera. “It was partially planned.” Virginia snatches his camera and flips through the pictures.
“These are precious! Zack, I didn’t know you were so good at taking pictures,” she gushes. Zack smiles proudly. “I want all of these.”

“Baltimore!” Jack screams as he scrambles out of the bus and drops onto his knees on the ground. I roll my eyes and look behind me for Virginia, but she’s already off the bus and mirroring Jack.
They laugh and rise to their feet. She turns to look back at me. “I’m going to let Grace in. Want to come with and tell her the news?” She holds out her hand for me. I smile and hop off the bus, sliding my hand into hers. She pulls me towards the gates, leaning in and pecking my lips a few times along the way.
Grace comes into view soon, and she jumps excitedly when she sees us. I sign her in, and she picks up her VIP pass from the box office. “I’m so excited to see you,” she squeals, wrapping her arms around Virginia tightly. “I have so much to tell you.”
“I do, too,” she replies, pulling out of the hug. She looks at Virginia curiously, and she just holds up her hand.
“Holy shit! Oh my god, Gin! Alex! Congratulations!” She wraps her arms around the both of us this time. “I’m so happy for you guys.”
My phone rings from my pocket. “Thanks, Grace. I’ve got to get to sound check, but you two girls catch up. I’ll see you both later.” Virginia smiles and kisses me.
“Love you,” she reminds me.
My lips pull into a smile, too. “I love you, too.”
I head back and run through a quick sound check before heading off for an acoustic set. When that’s done, I’m on my way to grab a quick lunch before our signing when a familiar voice from the past stops me.
“Alex, you look great,” she compliments, gesturing to me.
“Lisa, holy shit…uh, thanks. So do you,” I reply cautiously. She smiles.
“I haven’t seen you around in a while. Where’ve you been?”
“A lot of touring, a lot of time in LA, and I actually don’t live with the guys anymore.” Her eyebrows pull into confusion.
“What do you mean?”
“Alex, man, we’re on in five!” Zack hollers as he rushes past, an armful of beers in stacked into his left side. Zack skids to a halt. “Oh my god. Lisa.”
“Hey, Zack,” she greets happily.
Zack quickly glances between the two of us. “You know, our set is next. Why don’t you come watch and we’ll all catch up after.” He turns to me. “Virginia said she’ll be a few minutes late. Cody’s stage is running behind.”
I nod and turn to Lisa. “I’ll catch you after the set?” She nods with a wide smile on her face, and I follow Zack. “Thanks, man.”
“I didn’t know she was going to be here,” he replies.
“Yeah, me either…Virginia doesn’t know about Lisa. She knows I cheated on Danielle, but I never gave her a name.”
“Maybe you should warn her considering she’s your fiancée.” I agree and quickly head over to get this set over with. I normally absolutely adore playing for these people, especially in front of my friends in my hometown, but today I just can’t wait to spend the night in my bed back at home with Virginia.

The set ends, and I basically throw my guitar at our tech. The set was amazing, but I need to find Virginia before Lisa does. Luckily she’s waiting at the wing of the stage, like normal. I grab her hand and pull her away from the chaos of switching gear. “Is everything okay, babe? You seemed off that set.”
I sigh and glance back towards where Grace is conversing with the guys. “You know I cheated on Danielle…a lot.” She nods.
“I don’t understand the relevance.”
“The girl I cheated on her with is here, and I’m not sure if she knows we’re together or not.” Virginia’s eyebrows rise with interest, but I can see that she’s a little upset. “I didn’t expect her to be here. I haven’t seen her in years, but she showed up today.”
“Okay…”
“I just wanted you to know because she’s a very…forward person.”
“More forward than Danielle?”
“Maybe not, but still.”
Virginia studies me for a moment. “What aren’t you telling me?”
“I lost my virginity to this girl.” She nods in understanding. “Obviously, I don’t have any feelings for her anymore, but I think she still might.”
“I get it,” Virginia assures. She slides her fingers through mine. “I’ll take care of it if you don’t want to. But you better not forget who wears the ring.” She lets go of my right hand to flash her ring and winks jokingly.
“Of course.” I kiss her softly. “I love you, Virginia.”
We return over to everyone, and just as expected, Lisa comes walking up. “Hey, guys! You were amazing! Even better than the last time I saw you.” She embraces us all tightly.
“Thanks. It’s great to see you, Lisa,” Rian tells her with a smile. He casts a nervous glance at me.
“I don’t believe we’ve met, though.” She turns her attention to Virginia. Virginia’s lips immediately pull into a friendly smile as she sticks her hand out for a shake.
“Virginia. You must be Lisa?”
“Yeah. How do you know the guys?”
“I’m Alex’s fiancée.”
The atmosphere goes stale and stiff for a moment. “Wow. Congratulations both of you! Alex, that’s great.” Virginia wraps her arm around me.
“Thanks,” I reply, wrapping my arm around her as well. Virginia looks up at me with a smile. I smile back, pressing my lips to her forehead.
“So, we’re all going to the bar tonight, right?” Virginia questions.
“Yeah, we should go!” Rian agrees.
“I think it’s a great idea,” Jack chimes in.
“I definitely wouldn’t mind going to the bar tonight,” I add.
♠ ♠ ♠
well, i'm going home
to the place where i belong,
where your love has
always been enough for me.