Status: Hey guys! This is my first story on Mibba. i hope you enjoy it :D i have already posted quite a bit of it wattpad but i was looking to expand my viewership and get more critiques...so please tell me what you guys think of think of it :D Happy Reading! :D

A Bride for the Eternal Bachelor

Chapter 3

Chapter 3
Sydney woke up after what seemed like 5 minutes to the sound of her alarm clock. She shut it and got out of bed to get ready. Nothing like coffee to wake you up in morning, she thought, making her way to the kitchen. But there was already someone occupying it.
"Intruder," she thought. Sydney couldn't make out the face as he was sitting with his back towards her. The question did pass her mind that why would a thief sit in her kitchen and drink coffee but she pushed the thought away.
Sydney silently went back to her room and fetched her revolver which she had purchased a few years back. When you were a single mom with little or no security around the house, you often tend to learn how to defend you and your family.
"Don't move, I have a gun," she stated training the revolver on the intruder.
He got up so fast that he spilled the coffee over himself. He cursed and started to wipe it.
"I said don't move," Sydney ordered.
"What-"
"And don't talk either. Now keep your hands on the table where I can see them."
It took a while but when he complied, Sydney carefully approached him. Keeping the gun in one hand, she carefully patted his clothes for any sign of a weapon. Her daddy would be so proud. He was the one who taught her how to shoot.
"Is this some new excuse to feel me up?" His voice was amused.
"Shut up-" the order died in her throat as she recognized the voice. That jaw looked familiar as well. She peered at his face and the slightly amused slightly disheveled face of Ashton Kingman stared back.
Ashton looked into Sydney's clearly horrified face and allowed himself a smile. He was scared for a moment there thinking that she would use the gun. The gun which was still pointed at his face as she stuttered through an explanation,
"I am really sorry. I forgot- there is just me and Jessica in the house you see- you are not hurt, are you?"
Ashton pointedly looked at the gun staring at him at point blank range.
"Oh right- I am sorry," Sydney lowered the gun with shaky hands. How could she have forgotten that Ashton Kingman had stayed over. There was a small smile on his face though he was clearly shaken. It was the latter that scared her. Was he going to yell at her. She didn't like being yelled at. God knew she had enough of that from her parents when they came to know about Jess.
So this time Sydney was prepared. If he yelled at her, she would not take it lying down. But Ashton surprised her by widening his smile, "I didn't know you knew how to shoot."
"My dad taught me," she replied, thrown off by his smile.
"You have some pants?" Ashton asked, looking down at his soaked ones.
"Oh right," Sydney blushed. "I'll go get you something to wear." She giggled. Oh shit, she thought. She hated the fact that she had so little control over her laughter.
"What's so funny?"
"Nothing."
"Tell me!"
"Okay okay," Sydney gave way under his demanding stare. "You look as though you just peed in your pants." Another set of giggles escaped her and she pressed her hand to her mouth to stop the noise.
"You think this is funny, huh?" Ashton asked, looking down at his pants. Yeah, they did look as though he had lost control of his bladder.
"Yes, its very funny."
Ashton rolled his eyes, "Okay, now if you have had enough of your daily laughter session can you please get me a set of pants?"
"I don't have any men's pants since its just me and Jessica," Sydney said, getting her laughter under control. "But I'll get you a robe."
Ashton went into the bathroom to get ready and realized one big thing; the robe was too small and he was a big man.
"Oh great!"
He chucked the idea of a robe altogether and snagged a towel from the rack and wrapped it around his waist.
The kitchen was empty when he entered. The spilt coffee had been cleaned and there was a steaming mug of coffee in the table which he assumed was for him.
"Hey," Sydney entered the kitchen. "The robe was too small, I see" she said, taking in the towel. A hint of a smile threatened at the corner of her lips.
"Good morning, Ashton," Jessica chirped. She was ready in her school uniform.
She sure gets ready fast, Ashton thought.
"Good morning," he greeted her warmly.
"Why are you wearing a towel?" Jessica asked, frowning at the innocent material wrapped around his waist.
"We, uh, had an accident," Ashton said, carefully avoiding Sydney's eyes. He concentrated on drinking his coffee.
"Why? Did you pee in your pants?" Jessica grinned, sitting in the chair, waiting for her breakfast, oblivious to Ashton's horrified gaze.
At the kitchen counter, Sydney tried to control her laughter as she prepared eggs and toast.
Like mother, like daughter, Ashton thought dryly.
"I have kept my pants near the machine. Is that okay?" He asked.
"Oh," Jessica said. 'So you really peed in your pants?"
This time Sydney was less than successful in containing her laughter.
"No! I spilled coffee on it okay?"
"Ohh, someone's getting defensive..."
"What is wrong with you mother and daughter? The only reason I spilled it is because-"
"I'll go wash your pants," Sydney cut him off, hastily putting delicious looking plates filled with eggs and toast on the table.
Ashton glared at her retreating figure.
"So you're having dinner with us today?" Jessica asked, helping herself to breakfast.
"I have a meeting," Ashton snapped and immediately regretted his words as her face fell.
"Sorry, I mean, I can't manage today but maybe something later," he said in a much gentler tone.
"How about this Sunday?" Jessica piqued excitedly. "Mom and I were going to the zoo and you can come as well."
"The zoo?"
Jessica nodded vigorously, "Mom, Ashton can come with us to the zoo this Sunday can't he?" She yelled.
"You want to come with us to the zoo?" Sydney asked, reentering the kitchen looking surprised.
"I haven't been to a zoo before," Ashton confessed. He squirmed beneath their astonished gaze and then stopped. Ashton Kingman doesn't squirm!
"You are going to love the zoo," Jessica declared. "Its the most amazing place on earth. There is even a hippopotamus there and an elephant.."
Ashton blocked out the rest of her speech just nodding when she paused to take a breath. The soft look in Sydney's eyes disturbed him. It was almost sympathetic. Hell, he didn't do sympathetic. He didn't want anyone to take pity on him. There was nothing wrong in his life! He hardened his gaze.
Sydney dropped Ashton's suddenly harsh stare and started fidgeting with the plates. She knew that his parents were movie stars as well and had to often shoot on foreign locations but it never occurred to her how neglected their son must have felt. After all, nannies and expensive toys can't replace parent's love. But he clearly didn't want her concern. She got that message clearly enough by the way his eyes hardened.
They resumed the meal in heavy, awkward silence between Ashton and Sydney while Jessica freely chatted away oblivious to the tension in the room.
Eventually, Ashton relaxed listening to the girl's mindless chatter. She was now talking about something to do sparkly cars. God knew how she had reached that topic and Ashton found himself smiling.
Sydney offered Ashton a tight smile and when his smile didn't waver, grinned at him.
After breakfast, Sydney dropped Jessica in the school bus and came back home. Ashton had donned his recently washed pants.
"I'll go get ready," she said, awkwardly.
"Yeah, okay. I'll call for my car," Ashton replied, equally awkward.
Fifteen minutes later Sydney was demurely dressed in a straight skirt and a crisp blouse.
"My car just came. Do you want me to drop you somewhere?" Ashton asked.
"No that's fine. Wanda is there; Wanda is my car" she explained after his confused expression.
"I should be leaving now," Ashton said after after a moment of awkward silence.
"Yeah, even I was just about to leave."
Both of them reached the door at the same time and bumped.
"Ladies first."
They smiled tightly at each other as they waited for the elevator. This time Ashton carefully waited for Sydney to get in the lift first and then followed.
Thankfully, they didn't meet anyone in the elevator. How was Sydney supposed to explain Ashton's presence to the neighbors? They were a bunch of old maids and rumors would start to fly before you could say the word 'rumor'.
"Well, that's my car," Ashton said, gesturing to a sleek, black car different than yesterday's. "I should get going."
"Yeah," Sydney agreed. "Same here. I don't want to be late. Bye"
"'Bye"
They got into their respective cars and drove off relieved to leave the tension behind.