Status: This is my first English story. Sorry if I make mistakes in the way I write. Hope you'll enjoy it!

Life Starts Now

Last To Know

Adam left Montreal in the afternoon, after spending the entire morning with Dylan. Right after Adam quitted, the boy told his doctors that it might be his last chemo ever, since he was still thinking about stopping the treatment. That was something Skye knew about but couldn’t tell Adam, even if he called as soon as he got out of his plane to get some news about the kid.

The party was finally over. Today, Skye was going back to work, after spending the three most amazing days of her life. She was engaged to the love of her life, she still loved her job and her little sister was happy. What else could she ask for? Lexi was coming over for a little chat and, of course, she was bringing breakfast. That morning, Skye felt awkward when she woke up alone in her bed. Adam only been there two nights but it felt like he had always sleep with her. With them being engaged, it felt like he belonged in this bed with her.

Lexi entered the apartment without even knocking and started the oven to heat the pastries she brought.

«Breakfasts almost ready! » she yelled at her sister still in bed.

«Gosh you’re an early bird! » said the elder sister, getting out of her room, stretching every muscle in her body.

«I didn’t have your luck; my boyfriend did not visit for three days. »

Skye could see her sister was disappointed by Neil’s absence. After all, he did have a three days pause too; he could have make it to Montreal with Adam. Skye hugged her sister.

«Oh poor thing… You want me to call Brad to know what happened? »

«NO! Don’t please! I don’t want to be that kind of girlfriend! » she begged her sister, making Skye laughed.

Lexi put the pastries in front of them and asked about the visit. Skye told her everything, from their weird reunion at the airport to the song he wrote with Dylan. She talked about how she felt when he fell asleep next to her, how she knew she loved him, and how bad she felt when he left. She took a moment in her head to think if she should talk about their engagement. After all, she did not have a ring to prove it.

«Wow! That seems like an amazing three days you’ve had. » Lexi sighed.

«It was. Lex… I have to tell you something but promise me you won’t give me speech about it. »

Lexi looked at her with a question mark on her face, raising an eyebrow in wonder.

«Are you pregnant? » she asked quickly.

«NO! Oh God no! » Skye laughed.

«Then what is it? I might have a speech about it though. »

«Adam… He… Well… » she started, trying to make a correct sentence in her head. «How could I say this? » Words were swirling in her head but she couldn’t manage to put them together to make it clear and not to sound like it was the worst idea of the century.

«Use words Skye. Any words, you can tell them in no particular order, it will be like a puzzle. »

«I don’t want to play Lexi, it’s serious. »

«Then say it seriously! Gosh, you sound like Adam killed someone and the corpse is still hidden in the locker room. »

«Adam wouldn’t kill anybody! He just asked me to marry him and I said yes. » she said, closing her eyes so hard it almost hurt. She did not want to see her sister’s reaction.

There was a long silence where Lexi held her breath, trying to make sense of this revelation. In the meantime, Skye was holding her tears back feeling like it was a mistake to tell her sister. She heard Lexi exhaled and open one eye. Her sister was speechless and simply stood up and walked towards the bathroom.

«Lex… I… »

She did not turn before she locked herself up in there. It was unusual for Lexi to be wordless, even more uncommon for her to want to be alone and locking herself up. Skye hid her face in her palms feeling stupid. She knew her sister always took care of her. She knew that this engagement happened quickly and spontaneously, with someone she barely saw in the month of their relationship and that this whole thing sounded like she would end up with a broken heart once again. On top of all this, she was aware that Lexi always wanted to get married young and have her own little family with the man she loved. For years, Skye thought Lexi would have it before her. They even made fun of how bad Skye was when it came to think about her future. But now that it seemed like Skye finally found what she had always been looking for without even knowing it, Lexi was heartbroken that her boyfriend didn’t come to see her and that her sister was having what she was dreaming of.
Skye took her phone and dialed Brad. He was a friend of her, even if he tried to get in her pants a few times already. He was fun and had really good advices when it came to relationships, even if he sucked at it. He answered quickly with a smile in his voice.

«Future Mrs. Gontier. How are you today as a newly engaged woman? »

«Are you making fun of me Mr. Walsh? »

«I wouldn’t dare do that. Your future husband might kick my ass really bad if I do. »

«Enough with making fun of me. I need to ask you something. »

«I’m all ears! »

«Why did Neil stay in Toronto during your tour break? I mean, Adam came to Montreal to see me, why couldn’t he come to see Lexi? »

«You do not know? Neil’s mom is in the hospital. She had a heart attack last week. He stayed with her the whole time. » Brad said, surprised she wasn’t aware of that fact.

«He did not tell Lexi about it? Why? »

«Don’t know man. Maybe he didn’t want her to worry or he wanted to spend some quality time with his mom. I mean, we’re not home often, so… »

Suddenly, Skye felt so sorry for her sister. Neil was hiding things from her. She knew Lexi would have understood why he couldn’t come; she might even have taken the train to be with him during this hard time.

«When are you two getting married? » Brad asked.

«We’re not there yet. Let’s be engaged for a while first. »

«I don’t know how you made this happened Skye. »

«What do you mean? »

«Well, first, you show up at concerts, found a way to talk to Adam, asked that dumb set list like a hundred times before he talked to you. Then you got invited to party with us several times, finding a way to get closer to Adam. Even knowing he was in a relationship with Naomi, you kept in touch every week or so. You helped him with his addiction and you were still there after he spilled his venom on you. And now, barely a month after your reunion, you end up engaged to him. »

«Do you think I made that up to be with him? I’m the first one surprise when I think that I am with him! He’s way out of my league and I do know it. But I do love him more than I ever loved someone, even if I tried so hard not to. »

«I was just making sure you weren’t playing with him. »

«Please Brad. You know me better than that. »

This conversation left Skye with a bitter taste in her mouth. If Brad was thinking that their story was weird, how would her family react? She did not tell her mom about Adam, and she knew Lexi never talked about her relationships until she felt it was drop dead serious.

The youngster finally left the bathroom with puffy eyes, placed her back on the wall opposite to her sister and looked down. At this moment, Skye was fighting the urge to apologize to her about her engagement and about the call she just made.

«I’m sorry. I overreacted. » she said almost sobbing.

Skye reached to her and hugged her. She passed her hand in her hair, just like she did when they were younger.

«Lex, you don’t have to apologize. I should have been a little more careful when I told you. »

«I am happy for you Skye, I swear. You are meant to be. You are the most adorable couple I know. It’s just… I did not expect that your relationship would grow that fast. »

«I didn’t either. And I’m sorry Neil didn’t come. I know he’s got a really good excuse. » she added.

Lexi broke the hug and looked at her sister with worries.

«You did not…»

«Yes I did but it was for your own good! »

«SKYE RYAN! You don’t have to play the fairy godmother here! I am old enough to take care of myself! JESUS! How could you… » Lexi yelled at her, as her face turn red with anger.

«He’s hiding things from you Lex! Pretty important stuff! Did you know his mother had a heart attack!? Did you know he spent three days with her at the hospital? Why didn’t he tell you this? You are his girlfriend for God sake! You deserve to know! »

«His mother is in the hospital? »

«Yeah. In Toronto. Brad told me. »

Lexi dropped herself on the couch holding her deception. She hid her face in her hands.

«I’m so stupid Skye…»

«You are not stupid baby. »

They talked about how bad her relationship with Neil was. Everything Lexi told her was surprising. They barely talked on the phone now that they made it official. He sent e-mails once in a while, saying he misses her and how he can’t wait to see her. She offered to go to Toronto for a week-end, or go to any show to spend time with him. But every time she had time, he had something to do, he couldn’t spend time with her, she would be bored… He had excuses every single time. It was strange for Skye. It did not sound like the Neil she knew. She had known Neil as a serious person who would do everything possible to make everybody happy. He was some kind of philosopher, the kind to think a lot about his life. She knew he was happy to count Lexi as his friend, that she was someone important for him. She couldn’t get why he ended up doing this to her.

«Lex, I know it’s the last thing you want to hear, but I think you should call him to get things straight. Perhaps, I asked Brad about Neil, which means Brad told Barry and Barry can’t keep a secret so it’s 90% sure that Neil knows that you know. »

«You must be right…»

The week went by as Skye had to go to Quebec for a summit about chemotherapy. The head doctor asked her to join him as she was one of those who worked the most with people with cancer. When she finally got back home after a long week-end of hearing speeches and talking with the most renowned doctors in the field, she took a few minutes to meet Tucker at the hospital. She found him almost sleeping on a table in the cafeteria, head resting on his arms. She sat next to him before shaking him a little. He woke up in surprise as Skye laughed.

«Is it that though when I’m not around? » she asked with a smile.

«Skye, I have really bad news… »

She did not let him finish. She ran to the elevator without even turning to him as he screamed his name. Her heart was pounding; she was fighting the urge to cry. No matter how many time or how hard she hit the button, the doors did not open.

«OPEN! GODAMNIT! » she screamed as she punched the door as hard as she could.

Tucker reached for her and wrapped his arms around her to make her stop.

«Please let me go Tuck, please! » she cried, feeling her legs getting weaker.

«You should remember him as he was last week with Adam. I don’t want to see him like that. » he said, whispering in her ear.

«It’s too fast… Tucker, it’s going too fast. He was doing just fine when I saw him… »

«There is nothing we can do when the disease is taking over like that, you know it Skye. Dylan chose to let go, he made up his mind. We have to respect that. »

The doors opened in front of them but none of them had the energy to move. They finally closed as Skye fell on the ground, letting all the tears come out.

«How will I tell Adam? How could I break this news to him? He thought he brought hope to this kid… »

Tucker helped her got on her feet again. He sat her on the closest chair to call the head nurse. He talked a few minutes but Skye did not listen. All she could picture was Dylan being so weak and skinny, with a grouchy breathing, almost unable to talk because his mouth is so dry. Her heart squeezed in her chest at the thought that she did not have the courage to go up there to say goodbye and tell him how courageous he is to face his faith like this. She knew she could not go there because if she did, she would not be able to go back to work anymore. She did what she was always scared to do: she got emotionally involve with a patient, a dying patient indeed. It was hard for her, knowing how much energy she put into creating a bond with Dylan.

«Hey, let me take you home, okay? We have all night to talk about it. » Tucker said as he touched her shoulder.

She nodded slightly and followed him to her car. She handed him her keys, knowing she could not drive in her state of mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please!!!!