Status: work in progress

Sweet Pandemonium

Chapter 3

On the plane to Helsinki:

As the plane attendant was reciting the instructions of the seatbelts and other things for the plane, Nena paid extra attention. She had never been on a plane before and her palms seemed like they wouldn’t stop sweating, still. Annoyed, she rubbed them together then against her pants. Her mother had been on a plane once and told her she had nothing to worry about but Nena still was nervous. It would be an 11-ish hour flight and she was happy she had brought her laptop and iPod, along with some movies she could watch.

As a couple people were still boarding a young boy of about 11 years old sat next to her. “Hello!” he said as he settled in.

“Hi,” Nena smiled kindly to him.

“How are you?” he asked.

“Uhm, a bit nervous,” she laughed lightly, “This is the first time I have ever been on an airplane.”

“Really? This is probably my 10th flight.”

“Wow. Well then you must be a pro at this, huh?”

The boy laughed, “I guess you could say that. So what is in Finland?” he asked curiously.

“I’m going there for a project that I have to do for school.” Nena explained, “I’m a photography student so I am doing this for a final project then I will graduate college.”

The young boys blue eyes lit up, “Wow! Graduating college? Do you have any pictures on your laptop that I can see?”

“Ha, yepp, a college grad. And yes, I do,” Nena smiled at his excitement, “I’ll show you when they say it’s ok to turn stuff on if you want to see them?”

“That would be great!”

“So what is in Finland for you?” Nena asked the boy.

“My dad lives there because his company moved him there. So I visit him when I have time off of school and for holidays.”

“That sounds cool. You must miss him huh?” she asked lightly. The boy looked down at his journal he was carrying and nodded.

Soon after the plane took off and Nena was surprised that the takeoff wasn’t too bad. “So,” she said, “Did your dad give you that journal?”

He looked up with surprise in his eyes, “Yeah, for my birthday last year. I draw a picture in it everyday and then give it to him when it’s my next birthday. I’ve been doing that for a couple years now.”

“That sounds cool. If I show you some of my pictures, mind if I look at some of the ones you drew?” she asked with a grin on her face.

“Yea!” he said handing over his journal. Nena laughed and pulled up her bag so she could fetch her laptop. The kid introduced himself as Calvin but to call him Cal. Nena logged in and introduced herself as well. She tried to find a folder that had the what she called the “kid appropriate” pictures.

Trading with each other, they skimmed through each other’s art work. She was surprised at Calvin’s drawings. She kind of expected to see crappy doodles that a kid his age might do but they were surprisingly good. Nena especially liked the drawing he did of a giraffe that he had said he saw when he went to the zoo.

After about thirty minutes, Cal closed her laptop and complimented her photography, saying he liked the people she choose. He yawned and said that he would sleep for a while because it was going to be a long flight. Nena nodded and put her laptop away, she put in her earphones and put her music on shuffle as she looked out the window and watched the clouds and sky drift by. She couldn’t believe she was going to Finland and there was no turning back now for the next month and a half.

Ville’s Tower

“Ville how could you be so stupid?!”

“Do you understand what this could do to us?”

“Of course not! Look at his face. He doesn’t give a rat’s ass what happens to any of us.”

Ville sat in a chair in the middle of a room filled with his band mates, friends and family. He didn’t know what was going on. He wanted to escape but everywhere he looked there was someone in his way. “I don’t understand. What is happening?” he looked at Mige terrified.

“You know exactly what is going on Valo!” Mige shouted and as he did his face started to transform into something Ville could not describe.

As he looked around everyone’s face had done the same and their bodies were skinny and grotesque now. He tried to get up but was stuck to the chair. The room seemed to get darker and the figures took on a black smoke form. Ville felt he could not breathe and as the black fog touched his skin he felt as if he was on fire. He screamed and tried to fight the fog away. Then all of a sudden the figures let out a deafening roar and consumed Ville in the fog.

“Noooo!!” Ville screamed as he sat upright on his couch. He looked around afraid to see the frightening figures again but just saw the surroundings of his tower that were glowing from the fire in his fireplace. He looked down at his hands and saw that he was still holding the teddy bear and had nearly ripped its head and leg off. He sighed and placed the bear on the coffee table then headed to his door grabbing his cigarettes on his way out.

“These dreams.. why these dreams?” he wondered as he took a long drag from his cigarette. He didn’t understand. He was starting to wonder if he was in fact going crazy. He looked at his watch and saw that it was nearing 5 in the morning. Ville shook his head and decided to go back into his tower to find something to keep himself busy for a few hours.

Passing the kitchen he grabbed himself a glass of milk and rushed up the stairs. Reaching his bathroom he turned the light on and squinted against the brightness of it. Ville looked in the mirror and made a face at his reflection. His eyes were baggy and dark underneath and his hair was a bit of a mess, more than usual. He figured he need a shower but he was too lazy to do it now.

Instead, he decided to grab one of his guitars from his room and headed up the stairs to his roof. He pulled out a chair as well and sat himself in the cool Finland air. He strummed his guitar and hummed a few songs while he stared at the moon.

“Sparks will fly, beneath the Luna alight…” Ville laughed to himself as he caught himself singing one of his songs. He couldn’t help but sing Luna instead of lunar, he just really loved the word and that it meant Moon in Spanish. He leaned his head back and stared at the stars and sky, then he heard the sound of a plane over head. He turned his head slightly and looked up as the plane flew over him towards the airport. “Welcome to Finland,” he said lightly and strummed his guitar.