The Moment I Knew

If it's for the best, then I wish you well

After taking an hour or so to clean my apartment, I finally got to sit down and just relax. Dylan left a huge mess after he had built the fort the previous night, so naturally, I was the one to clean it up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my blackberry flashing red.

From: Mae
Message: hey! what are you doing this afternoon?

I stared at the message for a few moments. Mae had been my best friend since middle school. She was the first friend I had made at that new school; she was the only person who even made the slightest effort to get to know me. We just clicked, and the rest is history.

Reply
Message: as of right now I’m not doing anything. why?

Ever since I started seeing Dylan, her and I haven’t been as close as we used to be. We stopped hanging out everyday, we stopped filling each other in on our daily lives, we even stopped having our weekly sleepovers. I’ve noticed our friendship wasn’t as strong as it used to be, but that doesn’t mean she stopped meaning everything to me. This was the girl who got me help when I needed it the most. I went through a rough time when I was younger, about 3 years ago. She had noticed for awhile I wasn’t acting like myself. Needless to say, she was there for me when no one else was. She listened to me vent for hours on end when my parents wouldn’t give me the time of day.

From: Mae
Message: great! let’s meet at Panera’s in 10, we have major catching up to do!!

Reply
Message: sounds good :)

I walked into panera and quickly scanned the rooms. I always hated arriving someplace and having to look for someone. Luckily for me, she screamed my name as she pounced on me with a giant hug.

“Elle!” Her arms were wrapped so tightly around me I felt myself gasp for a breath of air. As soon as she let go I let out a laugh.

“I see someone’s just as enthusiastic as ever.” She grabbed my hand and led me to a table in the back and we took our seats. “Don’t we order first, then make ourselves comfortable?”

“I have to tell you something. It’s so incredible and I just can’t believe it. Lunch can wait a moment.” Her face beamed with excitement as a smile formed, cheek to cheek.

“Oh, God. Don’t tell me you’re pregnant.” She laughed.

“No, silly!” She started, leaning in towards me. “You know how all throughout high school, you always had Dylan? Like, a legit boyfriend. Not just some guy you date for a few months, break up, and act as if it never happened. A relationship I admired for the longest time. I was so happy for you, don’t get me wrong, I just wanted what you had. A stable relationship with someone I can picture the rest of my life with.” Her smile grew wider. I nodded for her to proceed. “I’m dating someone. For the first time since 10th grades fling with Tommy. An actual relationship!” She squealed and I felt all eyes on us.

“I’m so happy for you, Mae! So who’s this mystery guy?” She took her phone out of her pocket and showed me a picture. I felt my jaw drop. “You’re dating Brian?” She put her excitement on hold as she realized the tone of my voice.

“Yeah, is that a problem?” Another thing I admired about Mae. When she senses any sort of attitude against her, she’ll give it right back to you.

“No, no problem.” I straightened myself out. “Just taken by surprise. I didn’t even know you guys talked much. I mean, I know you’ve met countless times because of me and Dylan, I just didn’t expect this. I’m happy for you! I’m glad you found someone. And by the way you’re smiling and giggling and such, I’m assuming he’s treating you right.”

She slid out of the booth and took my hand, once again, to lead us to the front counter to order.

“He treats me like a freaking princess. He always buys me flowers and texts me goodmorning and goodnight, and he even buys things for my parents.” Mae: 1 Me: 0

We took a few minutes to order and gather our food, then made our way back to our seats.

“How long have you two been together?” I asked, taking a spoonful of soup.

“About..” She trailed off, looking up to the ceiling. “4 months.” She quickly took a piece of her sandwich and shoved in her mouth. If they’ve been dating for 4 months, that means they were dating when he picked me up from the theatre. They were together when he called me that night to check on me. He didn’t even bother to tell me. My best friend and my boyfriend’s best friend have been dating for 4 months. I wonder if Dylan knew.

“Oh.” Was all I could seem to manage to get out. It was barely audible.

“I didn’t say anything sooner because I wasn’t sure if it was going to last, or if he was going to turn out to be another Tommy. I just didn’t want to tell you and then end up heartbroken a week later, and come crawling to you for relationship therapy. I would’ve felt like an idiot.” She put her sandwich on her plate and sighed. “I really don’t want you to take this offensively. It’s just, you were always the one in the long-term relationship. I was known as the girl who had 2 week-long flings. I always ended up coming to you when they were over, grieving over the boy I had recently lost. I wanted to find a guy that lasted awhile before I told you, for the purpose of me not being annoying to you like I used to be.”

“First of all, you were never annoying to me. I’m your best friend. I’m here to help you through those kind of things. I’m here to listen to you vent. I’ll always be here for you, through tears and happiness.” She nodded. I heard the song “I Wouldn’t Mind” by He Is We start playing randomly. She glanced down and reached for her phone.

“Hey babe. No, I’m just with Elle at Panera; we’re having a lunch date.” She flashed me a smile. “You need me there? Right now? Hun, I can’t just-” She stopped and rolled her eyes. “Yup. I’ll be there soon. Bye.”

“What was that about?”

“Sorry, that was Brian. Another little detail I should have mentioned earlier," She sounded hesitant. "Brian and I are moving in together.. and he called to tell me he needs help picking out appliances for our new apartment. I mean, he’s a man. I should’ve known he couldn’t do this on his own.” She laughed as she grabbed her things and got up from her seat. “I’m so sorry. I wish I didn’t have to walk out on our talk. Can we please meet up again? I miss how things used to be.” I stood up and gave her a long hug.

“Of course we can. I miss it, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys enjoy this update!
I'm not so sure about Brian and Mae's relationship, what do you guys think?
Thank you again for reading! :)
-Casey