Status: active

Une-Belle-Rose

Abandoning

"You live here?" I asked.

Rosaline nodded wistfully at the apartment and unlocked the door. We stumbled inside. We had managed to break that window of her car with a rock and retrieve the keys.

Rosaline's house was all freshly painted white with dark furniture and large glass windows. The sofas, a shade of grey, added to the formal look.The fireplace was still ablaze and enthusiastic. But still, something about the place did not feel like home.

I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable, being in the house of someone I barely knew. Though I hadn't really sorted out my feelings about her but she had definitely decided to trust me, bringing me to her house, me being a stranger. In other words, I could have betrayed her. But of course, in my heart, I had no such game. She was after all, an innocent being, suffering a great deal of pain.

I hastily called my uncle, carefully focusing on drawing out the digits from some dusty webbed corner of my head and letting go as my fingers hugged the little buttons of the telephone.

"Hello?" a voice asked from the speaker of the phone.

I answered, "Um... Uncle Moser? It's me, Eunice."

"Remember that I still exist, eh?" he laughed. "So, what scene did God create to have you call me?"

"He killed Mom and Dad."

For a moment of dreadful silence, no one said anything. Then, Uncle Moser said hopefully, "Don't ever play such a trick on me, girl. Don't you dare." But, the concern in my voice must have given it all away that he himself apologised, "That little sister of yours?"

"She too." a tear made its way past my eyes once again, but I simply brushed it away.

"Okay, okay. Wait, where are you?" he asked

"I don't think we've got enough time for that right now. Could you please do me a favour?"

"Of course, dear." he was trying to be as calm as he could possibly, hearing of the news.

"Get the spare keys and open our house. Search everywhere you can for Dad's Will. I'm sure it says that you own the house now. I'll be there any moment with this friend of mine. Please don't say no!"

"Of course, Eunice. I'll be waiting for you at home. But where are you?"

"Just wait at home, okay?" I said and put the phone down. I looked into Rosaline's room and smiled, "Are you done?"

"Yep." She comes out with an overloaded backpack.

"Listen. We need to leave. NOW." I said knowing every second is reducing out time.

"Now? Like...right now?" Rosaline started to argue but then nodded. We ran down that staircase, out of the parking lot, and kept running. We ultimately stopped at my doorstep and barged into the house. A tear trickled down Uncle Moser's cheek as he feeded our years with, "You father didn't leave a Will."
"What?" I cried. How? This situation had certainly left me at a loss of words. It was for the first time till date that I was actually angry with my father. I didn't blame him for getting himself killed in the party or even for taking us there. But now, the ball of fire that had swelled up in my veins was struggling hard to get out and release all the thrust for once and for all. But slowly,I willed the panic to calm down. I started with concentrating on every heart beat, counting them and observing their pace. For the first time in life, I felt my own heart working, the muscles contracting and relaxing and warm blood rushing through my veins.My heart had given up hope, no doubt, but it still wanted to live. I knew I had to find a way to get out of all this. I asked, "What next?"

Rosaline now gave me a faint smile, though it was the first time I had got to observe the way her eyes shrinked as she smiled , "We get out of here."

I nodded silently and started packing my things- clothes, pens , paper, books and whatever else I lay my hands on. I grabbed some money and raised an eyebrow at Rosaline, "Did you bring any?"

She twisted one end of her mouth up, resulting in drawing a cheekbone higher , "What did you think?"

We packed all the food we could find for us. I grabbed the bag and started outside when Uncle Moser's voice stopped me, asking, to where did we plan to go. I replied quickly, "Rosaline's aunt- She'll know what to do. Don't worry." Rosaline was glaring at me through the corners of her eyes. I squeezed her hand, pleading her to stay quiet.

"Okay." he said. I nodded and we ran out of the house.