Status: Active, albeit slow updates until the New Year. Enjoy.

Children of a Lesser God

“The Avengers were the mistake that saved the world.”
-Maria Hill’s official statement to the World Security Council forty-eight hours following the Chitauri attack on New York City.

Image

One year following that tragic event, the Avengers have gone their separate ways. But when a new threat arises that requires the reinstatement of the Avengers Initiative, SHIELD Nick Fury decides to take a major risk by adding another member to the team; a genetically engineered human known as Jetta who has a mysterious connection to America’s Golden Boy, the legendary super soldier known as Captain America.

Image

Steve Rogers lost everything when he crashed a HYDRA plane into ice during the Second World War. But then again, he was expecting to die; if the crash didn’t kill him, then at least he could count on the ice to. What he wasn’t expecting to do was spend seventy years in suspended animation, only to wake up in a modern world that had moved on without him. With his heart stuck in the past and suffering from posttraumatic stress disorder, Steve is on the verge of breaking down when he meets Jetta.

I'm strong on the surface, not all the way through.

Jetta’s negative attitude toward Steve causes the pair to get off to an extremely rocky start. However, after she returns from a mission with Natasha Romanoff involving some crucial people from her past, Jetta spends some alone time with Steve that finally brings the pair together. As they train together and their bond deepens, neither Steve nor Jetta can understand why they’re growing so fond of each other.

But I'm the only one who's gonna save your life.

Satisfied by the chemistry between the agents, Fury sends the pair on a mission to the city of Pripyat in northern Ukraine; the former city has been a ghost town following the 1986 explosion at the nearby Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station. When they arrive at Pripyat, Steve and Jetta find a forgotten city that’s long since been frozen in time. However, a disturbing discovery found under the former power plant lead the pair to realize that the crumbling city isn’t as abandoned as they originally thought.

When they have a dangerous run-in with another face from Jetta’s past, a jarring revelation is revealed that could again tear Steve and Jetta apart…this time, forever.

Disclaimer: I do not own Steve Rogers or any of the other members of the Avengers team; they are the property of Marvel Comics and Marvel Studios. I do, however, own Jetta, all other original characters, and the plot. Jetta is based off the Maximum Ride series written by James Patterson. Title credits goes to "Kings and Queens" by Thirty Seconds to Mars; credit for the banner's background image goes to the owner of abandonedkansai.org. This story is rated PG-13 for sci-fi violence, mild language and some disturbing imagery.