‹ Prequel: Can't Handle This
Sequel: Can't Keep Suffering
Status: This installment is finished. Stay tuned for the next part!

Can't See the Truth

Chapter 15

Christmas Eve came and went more quickly than Toni would’ve liked. But everyone was just so tired, including herself, that she couldn’t argue. Loki helped the exhausted girl to her room and laid her down in the large, comfortable bed.

As wonderful as her deep sleep felt, Toni was relieved when Pamplemousse woke her up in the morning.

“Toni!” she whispered excitedly. “Wake up! It’s Christmas!

She rolled over, letting her long brown hair act as a veil for the bright and beaming smile of the ten year old.

“I’ll be up in just a minute,” she muttered.

Time passed all too quickly. Breakfast was a rush, presents seemed to be wrapped one second and be completely opened, packaging and all, in the next, and all too soon, it was over. Christmas had come and gone.

“Okay,” Bruce said as he stood up and shared a knowing glance with Clint. “I have one more gift to give and I think Loki feels the same.” Bruce walked out of the living room and grabbed a very large box, complete with air-holes and a festive bow on top.

“Pamplemousse,” the scientist started. “This is for you.”

The young girl threw herself at the box and quickly tore it open, gasping as she pulled the small, brown puppy out of the packaging.

“He’s precious! Is he a Newfie?”

“Yup,” Clint said. “We made sure to get the runt of the litter to make sure he wouldn’t get too big. That was Tony’s one condition.”

“Oh my goodness!!” she squealed again. “He’s adorable!”

“What are you going to name him?” Brooke asked. “Fluffy? Bear?”

“Francis!” she said as she hugged the happy puppy close.

Bruce chuckled as he ruffled the ten year old’s hair. “Francis it is,” he said loving. “Loki! I almost forgot! What final gift did you want to give?”

Loki beamed and stood up, clearing his throat. “Right, well, I wanted to wait to give Antoinette this present until everyone else received theirs. Now,” the god continued as he turned towards his lover. “You know I’d never leave you. I will love you until the end of the Nine Realms and beyond.”

Loki sank to his knees and held up a small, velvet covered box, opening it wide to reveal a dazzling diamond. “My dear Antoinette, will you marry me?”

Toni stared at the ring and the brilliant diamond stared right back. What should she say? She had literally just recovered from her four month stay in a horrifying stasis. Was she even ready? What would her father say?

“Dad?” she said quietly, averting her gaze from the intimidating ring. “Did he tell you about this? Did you know about it?”

Tony gave a single nod. “Yeah, I knew,” he said as he wrapped an arm around Steve.

“And you’re okay with it?”

Again, the billionaire nodded.

Toni returned her gaze to the horribly wonderful ring. What should I say?

Just as she opened her mouth, a loud crash pulled away everyone’s gaze from one impending question to another.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's terribly short, but I promise that I won't be taking another two month hiatus after this! Thank you everyone for being so patient! You're all swell and amazing!