Facing the Obstacles

Chapter 15

So, here's what happened.
Tom had been acting strange, so when we confronted him, he punched Heidi and then the cigarettes fell out of his pocket. We all took Heidi to the hospital after that, while he stayed home and now I'm really mad at him. First of all, he acted like punching her was no big deal and second of all, he decided to stay friends with that idiot after I clearly said that he was trouble! Cameron told me that he had seen Tristen bully his friends before and Tom might be in danger, so after hearing that, we went up and confronted him. He confirmed it, so we started a fight and I said to Tom, 'Don't trust him! Don't give him another frickin' chance! He's gonna turn you into a crappy person too and I don't want that to happen!' But Tom, in all honesty, can be stupid sometimes, so he just ignored me and told us off for beating him up.
Well now look, I was right! I don't look as dumb anymore do I Tom?! So I'm angry with him, I'm not about to get up and apologize after he completely ignored my warnings. I'm sure I will eventually, but right now I’m going to ignore him. See how he likes it...
No, I did not have to make dinner for my family, but because I had nowhere else to go, I decided to go home and help with dinner anyway. I wasn't about to stay in his house and listen to him tell us all how upsetting it is that we're being mean to him and that he can't seem to get rid of that idiot and he now he's going to plead for our help. That's not how I roll. Michael's probably going to come after me for leaving, but right now, I could care less.
I was currently sitting on my bed, strumming my guitar along to Submarine Warfare.
Glancing at the clock, it read 10:55pm. My phone buzzed and I opened it up, the bright light illuminating the room.

From: CaptainMikeySwag
To: DredfullyAwesome
Subject: confused

Bro, where did u go earlier? I know u rn't busy or anything,'fess up. Tristen is out of the picture, Tom's trying 2 stop smoking... Then Tom n Heidi got in2 a fight; she's angry w/ him for punching her, but honestly, she's being selfish. Y rn't u here 2 support him?

I texted back.

From: DredfullyAwesome
To: CaptainMikeySwag
Re: confused

He didn't listen to me, y should I b there?

But after I sent it, I realized how stupid I was really being.

From: CaptainMikeySwag
To: DredfullyAwesome
Re: confused

Do I really have to answer that Nate?
U should come back.

But by the time I got the text, I was already out of the house, making my way back to Tom's.

Tom and Heidi came back inside. It looked as if they had been fighting and I watched as he said something to her, quiet enough so we couldn't hear him. She then walked away to her room and I became suspicious that she was tearing up.
Tom walked over and Michael asked him what happened, as Clarabelle walked back in, handing Tom some soup. He told us why she was mad at him and we talked it over, deciding she was overreacting. I noticed it was now dark outside and Michael, who said he was texting Nathan, told us it was nearing eleven. Deciding I would go and talk to Heidi, I got up from the couch and started up the stairs to her room.
When I quietly opened the door, I found her sitting on her bed, holding her pillow to her face as she wept.
I walked over, sat down next to her and rubbed her back.
"Why are you doing this?" I asked her.
"Doing what?! It's Tom!" she said moodily, picking her tearstained face up off of the pillow.
"No it's not. Tom has started to recover and now you're being stubborn with him. Hon, just because you're hurt, doesn't mean you shouldn't forgive him. I know you're not a selfish person, but right now, you're kind of acting like one." I noticed her makeup was smeared all over and I smiled. "However, you still manage to look beautiful."
"Shut up!" she said, whacking me with the pillow. "No I don't." But I could see a hint of a smile playing on her lips. It came and went quickly and then after a few minutes, she said, "Alright, I'll forgive him. But not right now."
"Okay, thanks hon," I said, kissing her forehead. "I'm gonna go back downstairs."
As I reached the door and was about to leave she called me back.
"Zach, wait..." I turned around and noticed she was tearing up again. "Do you think he would ever forgive me though?"
"Of course, why wouldn't he?"
Her eyes glistened with tears as I sat back down on the bed. "I'm not a good person, Zach. I'm selfish like you said and I don't understand how anyone would want to hang out with me, when I'm so mean sometimes. I've prayed about it, but I still struggle with it and I don't feel like I'm good enough for anyone."
She looked so upset and it made me feel horrible. I wrapped my arms around her and didn't let go as I said, "Heidi, that's exactly why you're so wonderful... You know you have your faults and you know you're not perfect and that's why you're such a beautiful person. No, you're not perfect, no one is; but you try your best and that's all that really matters. Heidi, I wish I was more like you. I'm so glad to have you."

I'm hurting for my Tom. I mean, he's one of my best homie g's and now he's struggling with my other homie g's. I don't understand how you can ignore a guy when he needs his friends most. That's why I'm not holding a grudge. I can see in Tom's face that he needs all the help he can get... he's trying not to show it, but it's obvious. Apparently not to Nathan, Heidi or Cameron though...
I texted Nathan, asking him where he was and why he was blowing us off. Then I texted Cameron, but he replied that he was already on his way. A few minutes later, Zach was back downstairs and Cameron was entering the house. He sat down by Tom.
"Tom, I wasn't mad at you, I swear, I just..." he trailed off.
"It's okay, I knew you weren't," Tom said.
But he clearly didn't. Tom had probably been thinking that Cam had abandoned him and was furious with him. But I think he forgot who we're talking about here... Cameron Quiseng. Cameron Quiseng doesn't hold grudges, Cameron Quiseng very rarely raises his voice... Cameron Quiseng is one of the most loving and lovable people on the planet! I've always been a little jealous of the kid. He's so awesome in anything he does... so much swag...
So basically, Nate came, we sorted it out; Heidi came down later and forgave him and everything was cool. Sure, you can say what you want, but of course we ended up sorting it out; we had to didn’t we? How would we have been able to go on stage for the talent show without our awesome keyboardist?

I'm a girl, so naturally, prom's a big deal. It had been two weeks since the whole spat and Tom was completely off smoking, praise the Lord! So now, everyone's (okay, all of the girls') focus was on prom. For the guys it was practicing for the talent show, the Monday afterwards.
"Zach, have you picked out your tux yet?" I questioned him, walking in on their practice.
"Uh..." he said distractedly, as he fixed some song lyrics. "Not--," he crossed something out. "Not yet, we've had to practice for the show a lot more lately."
"Okay, well you need to get that soon, don't forget it's in three days and if I recall it's before the talent show."
"I promise I will Heidi, don't worry," he said, pecking me on the cheek before I sat down to listen. "Tell us how you like this song, we just came up with it for the summer!" he exclaimed. I loved how much he got into his music.
"Aren't you going to play me the one you're singing at the talent show too?"
"Nope, that's a surprise. Okay, guys, hit it!" he shouted, as a techie dance vibe began to play.
Nathan leaned forward into his mic. "Baby get up... Open your eyes now, the world's waking up... You'll realize we'll walk to the beat so suddenly... While we make believe that this will last forever..."
Zach cut in.
"We won't sleep... Til three in the morning, the song speaks... And singin' the real thing... It feels like, we're livin' a dream, but tonight, we're gonna make this one right!"
Tom and Cam joined in for the chorus, as Michael sang to himself behind the drums.
"We'll set the stage and let the records play... On a Saturday... And we can dance forever! We'll burn the light that makes the city sway, when we set the stage... And we can dance forever! Forever... Forever... Forever... We can dance together..."
They continued the song, as I sat there, smiling and bobbing my head. When they finished I screamed. Amazing.
"That will be a big hit someday; no doubt about it!” I cheered.
"Thanks Heidi, that means a lot," Tom smiled.
"Okay, well I'll go get drinks for you guys, you must be dehydrated!" I exclaimed, walking into Nate's house. As I walked in and began filling cups with ice water, Nathan's mom walked up to me.
"Hi Heidi, it's nice to see you! How are you?" she asked, giving me a big hug.
"I'm excellent, thanks, how are you?"
"I'm great! I wanted to tell you about my friend's husband. He's in the hospital, getting surgery on his shoulder and I was hoping you'd be able to take time to pray for him?"
"Of course Mrs. Darmody, no problem," I said, as I continued filling up cups. "In fact, how about we do that now?"
My faith has always been very important to me. I’m always honored when people feel comfortable enough to tell me these kinds of things; however it bothers me when they start thinking that it somehow means I can help them with anything. People always come up to me and ask for help or advice. They never know if they should choose one thing or the other... If what they're doing with their life is the right thing... stuff like that. When questioned about my opinion on those kinds of things, I always say that life waits for you to take that step into the unknown and sometimes you’re the only person who can figure those answers out.
♠ ♠ ♠
There were a lot of perspective changes in this one, so sorry if you got confused! I really wanted everyone's perspective of how they reacted and such, I loved that scene a lot. I hope it wasn't too jumbled! Let me know!