A Lesson in Romantics

Take my heart as you're leaving.

[Derek's P.O.V.]

I sat and comforted Skylar as she wept in to my shirt. The judge sided with Jason on this one. She lost everything. She had twenty four hours to get her stuff out of their, I mean his, apartment. She was so distraught, and so was I. I lost the apartment too. I had gotten all of my stuff out already so I had no reason to go back, which made me happy because I don't have to clean up my mess. I was just as upset as Skylar was, but I could never tell anyone that.

I'm supposed to be the guy who has it all together. On the outside I'm not the guy who doesn't want to stop drinking. On the outside I'm not the guy who wears bracelets to cover the evidence of my pain. On the outside I'm not the guy who needs help, and is too scared to ask for it. No on the outside I'm the guy who drinks socially. On the outside I'm the guy who just likes bracelets. On the outside I'm the guy who is always fine. But on the inside I'm all of those things I'm too afraid to be on the outside.

As we stood outside the court house waiting for our manager to come and pick us up. The guys were all excited because we were going on tour tomorrow, and not really focusing on what I just lost, and more focused on the party we were having tonight at Brooks'. In the midst of everyone else's excitement I noticed Skylar turn away and walk over to the stairs and sit down. She pulled a cigarette out of her bag, and started searching for a lighter to match. I walked away from the excitement I was lacking, to talk to her.

"You smoke?" I said tapping her foot with mine lightly. Which made her look up at me with a half smile that was wrapped around her now lit cigarette.

"Living with Jason for 5 years, will make anyone start the nasty habit. I try to only do it when I'm stressed, which is all the time lately.." As she drifted off into her pain.

"I'm sorry about your apartment." She said taking a huff of her cancer stick. I was taken aback by her statement because she was the first to show any remorse for me. It was a weird feeling.

"Thanks...You too."

"Eh It's whatever. I'll find another place. I'm just glad I got all my shit in my car already so I don't have to go back there again. It just sucks because I turned my back on all my friends because Jason,and now I have no one." She said taking another long huff.

"You have us." I said slightly smiling, and sitting next to her. She smiled as I sat next to her.

"Thanks Derek, but you guys are leaving tomorrow!" She said laughing.

"Well..come with us." I said half serious half kidding. She looked at me with a look of confusion.

"You're kidding right?" She asked laughing taking a small huff of the cigarette. And half of me was kidding, but the other half really wanted to reconnect with her. I haven't hung out with her in a very long time, and she was going through a hard time.

"No come with us. I'm sure the guys wont mind, and you can sleep in the back of the bus with some of the other guys girlfriends if you want." I said smiling.

"Derek I can't come with you guys that's crazy! This is your tour! I don't need to come along for a pity party. I can make it on my own."

"No It's not pity. I want you to come hang with everyone like old times. Like we did in high school. Before anyone cared about anything."

"I don't know Derek. High school was like 5 years ago. Everything's different... I'm different... "

"Fair enough. How about this. Come to Brooks' tonight. See how it is to hang with everyone again. If you think we are all putrid, then don't come. But if you have a blast, which I know you will, then come on tour." I said smiling, and secretly hoping she would change her mind. She smiled her amazing smile back at me.

"Fine, but no guarantees that I won't think you're putrid." She said laughing as she flicked her cigarette out.

"Thanks Derek." She said hugging me tightly. Her embrace felt so warm and welcoming.

"Your offer means a lot." She said whispering in m ear. I smiled at her appreciation.

"No problem. And just come over to Brooks' whenever you want okay?" I said as we parted ways.

"I mean who says I'm coming." She said winking as she walked towards her car. I always found her sarcasm funny. I 'don't know what she means by she's different. She seems the same to me. I was actually really excited to hang with her again, considering I haven't hung out with her since 11th grade!

[Skylar's P.O.V.]

I was so nervous to hang with Derek again. He was always such a good friend in high school, and it was really awkward when Jason told me he just liked me as a friend. I had a little crush on him for a while, but after Jason said he didn't like me like that I lost all my feelings for him, and started liking Jason. He was always my 'one that got away', and I don't know if I could handle if I told him how I felt, and he didn't like me back. It broke my heart in 11th grade, and it'll break my heart again now. At the same time I also don't want to lose him as a friend. Do I suck up my feelings to maintain a friendship, or save myself from any kind of heart ache or awkwardness?
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no problem with Jason Lancaster! I love Go radio, and him, he just makes for a good 'bad guy' .