The Romantic & the Cynic

Chapter 17

Everyone quickly piled into the van that had been rented for the night, the SUVs too small to take everyone and security alike in one car.  The mood was exuberant as they drove down the highway and streets of L.A., the lights bouncing off of the tinted windows.  Sky sat next to Harry, his arm slung casually over her shoulder.  Sky did trust him and so she didn't bother removing it.  Her fingers itched to catch the snapshots of the scenes she was seeing but since she didn't have one, she forced her mind to snap shots for her to remember.  Ones that she could keep with her when she returned to Atlanta.

Dinner was at the famous Spago.  As the van pulled up to the front of the restaurant, there were a few paparazzi hanging out front and they eagerly snapped photos that she was sure would appear on the internet the next day and magazines the next week.  She took a moment to ponder how it would feel to have millions of teenage girls wondering who she was and what she was doing with the famous boys.  But then it was gone in the flash of a camera and she was being hurried inside behind the group.  When they arrived inside, the hostess, a leggy blonde in a short black dress and too much makeup greeted them with gushing words and suggestive eyes.  

"Good evening," she said as she picked up the black menus and clutched them to her chest.  "We are so glad you joined us tonight.  We have set up the back area for you to use so you can have your privacy.  Please follow me."  With that, she turned and walked towards the back of the restaurant, her pert behind swaying behind her.  

The boys eagerly did as they were told and for the first time since the beginning of that week, Sky felt like she was the misfit of the group.  None of the group walked beside her and their eyes were clearly locked on the girl walking in front.  All except Liam.  He came beside her and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

"We're really glad you came tonight.  Harry and Louis would't stop bugging me about it."  He took a quick glance towards Zayn.  "Even Zayn asked his fair share of times."

Sky smiled a thank you and followed the group towards the back of the restaurant where they could get the privacy they were looking for.  The restaurant was rich in colour and the environment made her think of luxury and opulence, surely the look that the designer had gone for.  After a few moments, they arrived at the area where they would be seated, an intimate table with curtains hung around it to help shield them from too-interested eyes.  The group quickly sat down, the hostess slowly placing menus in front of each of them except for Sky, who got a menu plunked down in front of her and a dismissive glance.  She felt like muttering something but held her tongue, the training from her mother stopping her from doing it.  Instead, she casually picked up the menu and started to glance at the options.

The first thing that Sky noticed was the prices, prices she could never afford to pay no matter how excited she was about the job.  Lobster chicken salad for $29.  Prime Rib Hamburger for $20.  Veal chop for $51.  She did a quick calculation about just how much was in her bank account and how much this dinner was going to cost her and nearly fainted.  She was hardly poor but had been on her own since she was eighteen and so it was difficult for her to splurge on luxury items that weren't photography related.  The night was to be a celebration but it grated against her common sense to spend so much on one dinner.

"Dinner is on us," Sky heard from beside her and looked to see Zayn smiling at there with a glass of wine in his hand.  "We invited you so it would hardly be gentlemanly for us to ask you to pay for it yourself."  His eyes were twinkling as he looked at her and he sat casually in his seat.  He had worn a pair of dark wash jeans that hugged his legs, a grey v-neck t-shirt that hinted at the tattoos that graced his collarbones and a tobacco leather jacket that skimmed across his fit arms and torso.  His hair wasn't quiffed tonight, it was messy and styled around his head with the blonde streaks still visible around the front.  His face wore a trace of stubble that seemed to define the angles.  He looked relaxed and at ease in his own skin as he chewed a buttered bun that the hostess had brought to the table.

"Thank you but I couldn't."  She took another glance at the menu, wondering if the salad would be enough to hold her over for the
night.  

Louis sat on the other side of her and he leaned back on his chair, crossing his arms across his chest.  "Zayn is right," he said as smiled at her.  "We are paying for your dinner as a celebration of your continued time with us.  And we are very happy to do it."

Sky looked at both of them before taking one last look at the menu and sighed.  "Well," she said as she ran her finger down the columns.  "Be prepared because I am no California skinny girl.  I can eat."

Zayn laughed, the sound now easy on Sky's ears.  "That is why we like you," he said before returning to his own menu.

The group ordered their food, the amount seeming huge to Sky.  There were appetizers and booze to start, main courses and more booze for the middle and dessert and a final course of booze to finish it off.  And as each course appeared, they all tucked in eagerly and ate every ounce of food.  Sky was amazed that they weren't all one hundred pounds overweight.

Two hours later and Sky sighed before pushing a far too empty plate away from her.  "I ate way too much," she said as took a sip of the water beside her.  Alcohol may have been poured throughout the night around her but she had stayed away from it, still feeling like she dining with her bosses and wanting to make sure that she didn't do anything stupid that would jeopardize her position.  Beside her, Louis ate his last crumb of cake and last sip of whatever drink he had.

"That was an amazing meal," he said as he wiped the corners of his mouth with the crisp white napkin beside him.  "They may just have to roll me to the club.  And I will definitely have to hit the gym tomorrow."

"I agree," Zayn said as he finished his own beer.  "Definitely need to get this body dancing to burn off some of that steak."

Eventually, everyone had had too much to eat and almost too much to drink and started to get ready to go.  Sky was beginning to notice just how much effort it took to transport the group from point a to b.  It wasn't as simple as hopping up from chairs and walking out the front door.  They had to talk to the fans that had noticed them and quietly asked them for autographs and photos, they had to wait for Paul to go ahead and make sure that the path was clear, they had to say goodbye to the wait staff and thank them for their hospitality and finally they were able to head from the table and out to the front of the restaurant.

Back through the now larger group of photogs, back into the van and back into the stream of traffic.  Sky leaned back into the seat and let her eyes close.  The day had been long and it wasn't even over yet.  The stress of being unsure of whether or not she would be staying seemed to have drained most of her energy and she was starting to regret agreeing to the second half of the evening, knowing that it would not be an early night.  She should have told them she would go another time, that another Saturday night would better for her, that she had to wash her hair.  Anything.  Instead, she was on her way to a hot L.A. club for a night she didn't even try to imagine.

Conversation bubbled around her and after a shorter time than she thought, the van slowed down and stopped in front of the club.  As she opened her eyes, she noticed that she had curved body to the right, and directly into Zayn's side.  Her head was leaning against his shoulder and his arm was lifted and rested behind her, not touching her shoulders but curving around the space behind them.  The minute she had opened her eyes, his head had turned and his eyes were facing the tinted window, looking out towards the world beyond.  A gentle shaking from her other side where Niall sat, not aware that her eyes were already open, made her realize that they had arrived at the club.

"Hey," he said with his soft accented voice.  "We're here.  Get your pretty self up and get ready for an amazing night."  

The doors opened and the cooler night air woke her up, making her realize just how she was positioned and what it would look like if someone happened to snap a shot.  And the looks she would get from Liam.  Her body made itself move and remove itself from Zayn's side before either happened.  He quickly glanced at as she moved, a look in his eyes that she thought was disappointment flashing across her eyes before he stepped out of the van and headed towards the club with Harry.

Sky followed suit, Louis holding out his hand to help her out before guiding her towards the club.  Liam and Niall followed closely behind, all of them hurrying quickly behind Paul who cleared a path towards the front door of the club.  Photogs had gathered at the club, a Saturday night the perfect chance to get their paycheque for the week, and the band with a mystery lady mixed into the group was the perfect one.  They reached the door amidst the flashes and were helped inside by the club's large bouncer who yelled at the photogs before closing the heavy black door behind them.

"Thanks Rick," Paul said as he seemed to do a quick visual count to make sure that everyone made it through the gauntlet.  "We'll let you know when we need help to leave."

"Not a problem man," the large man said before taking his seat at the stool positioned by the door and gesturing towards a tall brunette who had appeared.  "Sonya will be your hostess for the evening.  Have an awesome night."

Paul nodded and the group followed another beautiful lady to another secluded area, the dark setting adding to the vibe of the club.  The ambiance was overtly sexual with the deep red colours, hazy lighting and the scantily clad woman sauntering around with trays of drinks.  Sky felt herself hesitate for a moment, an uncertainty taking over.  She had stopped to look around when she felt her hand encircled by warmth, a slight pressure pulling her back along with the group.  She looked up and saw that it was Zayn who had grasped her hand and he smiled and tilted his head towards the disappearing men, asking her silently to join him.  She felt herself move towards where he stood still, a stilted walk as she felt a sizzle of something that her body had hinted at during various points during the week.  But those had been through a camera when he wanted nothing to do with her.  This time, there was no camera and he was looking directly at her.  When she reached him, he leaned close, his hot breath hitting her neck.

"You looked so cute in the van," he said as his lips grazed her skin.  She could smell his alcohol from dinner along with his cologne and the combination didn't displease her senses.  "But tonight, there is no way that you are falling asleep."

With that, he moved away from her and she felt herself pulled towards where his friends had disappeared.  Sky followed along, her mind now buzzing with something she didn't understand and wasn't sure if she dared to investigate.
♠ ♠ ♠
More subscribers, yeah! No new comments in two chapters, boo! Let me hear some love, please??