Status: Ongoing Story

Two Worlds Collide

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Friday came around and Ava was rushing. She had woken up late and was now ten minutes behind her regular schedule. She was brushing her teeth and hair at the same time, while walking around her kitchen trying to prepare a somewhat decent meal.
She left with her coffee mug and purse swinging and her heels clacking. It was when she reached her car that she realized she'd forgotten her keys. So she rushed back up the seven flights of stairs, panting, and barged into her own home. She finally found the cats with them, under the bathroom sink.
Cursing she left, seeing that had cost her an extra six and a half minutes. When she finally made it into her car, and out of the parking lot, she figured that her racing up and down those stairs was her cardio workout for the week.
She finally made it to work, and when she did she apologized profusely to Jean who was dealing with people in a line that was starting to get backed up. Pretty soon Ava had patients flooding in and in a way she was thankful. With being kept busy she was able to lose track of time.
Getting off at six she sighed heavily while Marissa came through the door. “Hey,” she greeted. “your thing with Adam is tonight isn't it?” her blue eyes were slightly teasing.
Ava fought back an embarrassed smile. “Yes,” she confirmed, stacking already stacked bandages on a shelf which was perfectly organized. She didn't know why she was doing this if she was getting off work-she probably needed something to keep her hands busy...Something to distract her.
“Oh la la la,” smirked Marissa as she leaned against the doorway dramatically. “Are you going to let him sweep you off your feet? Maybe let him carry you into your apartment and he'll be all,” Marissa made a seductive face. “'Ava, you are the love of my life, and I know we've known each other such a short time but I can't keep denying these feelings for you! I love you Ava Collins!'” she exclaimed as Ava laughed and threw a bandage at her goofy friend.
“You are so full of it.” she rolled her eyes. “I highly doubt he would do any of those things. And he definitely would not confess his love to me so soon. Maybe if he was drunk-but that wouldn't count anyways.” she chuckled as Marissa looked to her knowingly.
“You know what they say: Drunk words are sober thoughts.” she said as Ava glared at her. “Have fun with your rockstar babe. I will be at home with my parrot...” she trailed as Ava smiled as Marissa left her to keep on stacking stacked bandages. Ava stopped stacking bandages and laughed at herself.
She sighed and shook her head, trying to get the idea of any of what Marissa mentioned out of her mind as she walked down towards her car. She rushed home in order to get enough time to get a good dinner made for herself. She ate a salad and soup while doing her hair and brushed her teeth while doing her makeup. Finally she was able to go into her closet and pull out the hanger which held the silver dress.
Ava took hold of the fabric, afraid it was going slip right through her hands if she didn't hold it tightly enough-it was just so silky.
She pulled it on, over her hips and slide her arms through the straps. She struggled with the zipper at the back, but finally got it all the way up. She turned to her mirror and looked to herself. The dress, fortunately, hugged her figure perfectly. Just the right way; it didn't reveal too much but just enough. It accentuated the curve in her form, and her collar bone looked nice with it, standing out and looking elegant. Her legs seemed almost longer, even though it wasn't a short dress. Ava smoothed it out across her stomach and smiled to herself, her nerves beginning to set in. She sighed and examined her half-updo. She had pulled some of her hair back with a nice jewel studded clip in the shape of flower, and let her curly locks fall down her back. She had her bangs out of the hold of the clip, they were curled as well, and it framed her heart shaped face.
She fed Zeus and the cats before sitting on the couch and turning on Dr. Phil who was taking an inside look on the lives of people with OCD. She was shocked by how controlled they were by something they had no control over. Thankfully before Ava could get too wrapped up in the story there was knock on the door.
Ava squealed and calmed herself immediately. What was she? Fifteen? She rolled her eyes and walked to the door, her silver heels clacking along with her. She swung the door open, and Adam was in a tux, which surprised her. He wore a black blazer and dress pants, and a silver tie. Ava smiled cause they were matching without even trying.
“Wow. Ava, you look..stunning.” he finished, looking from her dress to her face. “I just can't believe-God you look good in dresses.” he laughed as she stepped out and shut the door.
“Thank you, and look at you! All cleaned up,” she touched his freshly shaved jaw. “and wearing a tux! What is this side of you Adam?” she asked with raised brows.
He smirked. “This is the fancy me...” he sighed. “Quite frankly I’m not a huge fan of it but it's just kind of something I’ve learned to live with.” he told her as she smoothed out his collar for him.
“Oh yeah? Well I like it.” she smiled, and leaned up to kiss his cheek.
She felt him smile against her lips on his skin and take her hand. “Lets go beautiful,” he proposed, leading her down the hall.
“Did I dress accordingly? I mean I wasn't sure how fancy this was supposed to be...” she trailed as they took the exit to the stairs.
Adam chuckled. “Ava, stop worrying. You look amazing, definitely will be giving everyone else a run for their money.” he smirked as she blushed.
“I think there will be lots of beautiful people there. Especially when it comes to the ladies.” she said to him as they continued to climb down the stairs.
“I agree. You'll be one of them, that's for sure.” he nodded surely while she sighed and rolled her eyes when he was looking. “So how are the animals?” he asked her and Ava smiled.
“Same as always I guess. George is still getting into crazy situations, Sergeo still wakes me up way too early for food, and oh yeah! I got a dog! A puppy really,” she corrected herself while he looked over to her.
“Really?” Adam asked. “That's great, what's the name?”
“Zeus.” she said in dramatic tone as he laughed.
“That sounds really intense,” he said to her with an impressed look as she nodded.
“Oh yeah, he's a total brute.” she said before cracking up. “No, actually the complete opposite. Total mushball, the cutest thing ever.” she smiled at the thought of the fluffy pup.
They finally broke through into the main foyer of her apartment building. They saw construction going on to the left at the end of the hall. “Oh no way,” she gasped as drills drilled and hammers hammered.
“What?” asked Adam as she walked through the door, in which he held open for her.
“That!” she exclaimed excitedly. “It looks like they're finally putting in an elevator!” she said with a broad smile. “Oh thank the good Lord and all that is holy. I get to be lazy!” she laughed as did he.
“Yeah, those stairs are killer.” he said, looking back to her building.
Ava pulled her wrap tighter around her as she felt the cold autumn wind caressing her skin in the worst way. “They are, just today I was rushing cause I was late,” Adam smiled cheekily at her. “Shut up.” she said flatly while he laughed. “Anyways, I’m literally like, tripping down those stairs just to get to my car, and when I finally do,” she sighed.
“You forgot your keys, didn't you?” Adam predicted while she shot him a frown and a nod. He chuckled. “So predictable Ava,” he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, and she returned the gesture by putting an arm around his middle. “I parked here,”
This time he had a different car. Not the Mustang she had seen when they went out to the cafe, but this time it was a sleek black Miada. It had one of those roofs that could retract if it was sunny and warm, or could be up, like it was now. Ava shook her head and chuckled.
“You really like cars, don't you?” she asked as Adam opened her door.
“You're just catching on now?” he returned her question with a question. She laughed while ducking in.
The seats were leather, and it had a warm interior. Everything was dark coloured and held warmth. Adam got in a moment later, and started the car.
Immediately Ava took control of the radio, and tuned it to a country pop station. He looked to her.
“Are you kidding me?” he asked. She looked over to him with raised brows. “I have enough of a hard time trying to be around Blake all the time, who is King Of the Country Guys, and now my girlfriend likes it too...” he sounded as if he was thinking aloud.
Ava laughed and looked to the radio. “I like all types of stuff, country just happens to be among them. Would you feel better if I changed it?” she asked almost like she was asking a child if he would feel better if she kissed his booboo.
He nodded as she chuckled, flipping it to one of the presets. It was an alternative rock station, and Ava was fine with that seeing as she liked some of the music that played. At a red light Ava was looking out the window when she felt Adam's hand slide across her seat and take her hand. But Ava realized they were cold again and pulled her hand away, not wanting to gross Adam out.
“Hey,” he said with humoured protest. “Give that back,” he chuckled, blindly reaching over so he didn't take his eyes away from the road.
“No,” she shook her head. “my hands are cold again. And you shouldn't have to hold a gross person's hand.” she said to him, pushing his outstretched hand away.
“Well that gross person's hand just happens to be my girlfriend's, and I could really care less how warm or cold her hands happen to be. You know, I might actually prefer cold cause then I have an excuse to hold it.” he told her, stopping at a light and quickly snatching up Ava's hand while she was taking in what he was saying.
She shook her head. “I just think you're sparing my feelings.” she said shortly as Adam rolled his eyes.
He brought her hand up to his face and kissed the back of it. “I'm not sparing anything, okay? Just trust me please.” he said as she sighed and looked over to him. His eyes were sincere, and so she gave in and gave him a small nod. “Thank you,” he said as he looked forward again.
Adam broke into sudden chuckles and Ava shot him a confused look.
“What?” she asked him as he shrugged.
“Nothing, I just realized how small your hands actually are.” he said as she gasped and laughed.
“Okay that's it!” she went to pull her hand away but Adam had too tight a grip on it for her to break free.
“No! It's cute! I like it!” he told her as she stopped struggling. “But seriously...Those are small hands.” he said as she rolled her eyes and smirked.
“They're nimble.” she said and got an idea, which only made her smirk deepen. She pulled her hand gently from his hand, which told Adam she was intending on giving it back. “I think that's why I’m so good with surgeries. Gotta have a steady hand,” she explained to him, running a finger across his chest. “Cause if you don't,” she went on seductively as she trailed down the middle of his chest, down towards his belly button. “you could...slip up.” she let her hand then travel to his upper thigh.
Adam cleared his throat and Ava knew she was turning him on which made her smile to herself. “I'm driving,” he said with a laugh as she nodded.
“I know.” she said as he looked over to her.
“If you keep going I’m gonna for sure crash.” he said as she raised a brow, genuinely surprised.
“I seriously turn you on that much?” she asked him, all seduction gone from her tone, as he laughed, tossing his head back into the headrest.
“I love how you're so surprised.” he sighed as they approached another red light. “Ava,” he looked over at her with teasing eyes. “you have no idea how much you turn me on.” Adam took her hand from his leg and wound their fingers back together while pressing on the gas as the light flicked green.
Ava sat back, a bit shocked she had so much control over him by just moving her hand across his body. She didn't consider herself a huge turn on to begin with. She didn't have huge boobs like most guys liked. They were...average. A B36, which in comparison to models and other girls who lived on billboards was pretty small. And the worst part: She had stretchmarks. She had grown into her body pretty fast as a teenager, so her body decided to stretch itself out. She had the faded marks on her butt and thighs, and to be quite honest she hated it when people noticed them. Although faded, Ava felt totally exposed when people saw them there.
Adam swung the car suddenly into a parking lot, and on the side of the neighbouring building the wall had a spray painted mural of “The Voice” logo and titling on it. Ava guessed this is where it all happened.
“We're here,” Adam sung as they both unbuckled themselves.
Ava opened her door and shivered a bit, feeling how cold it was. Adam met her around the front and slipped and arm around her waist. He felt Ava take in a nervous breath, which made him smile. “Av, you'll be fine. You look amazing, and you are amazing, so anyone who doesn't like you can come talk to me.” he said which made her blush and laugh a bit.
“Don't get your hopes up Levine,” she said as they started off towards the door which had two security bouncers in front of it.
“I can get them up if they're realistic,” he shot back as she rolled her eyes.
“Why do I even try?” she asked herself.
Adam shot her a smirk. “I ask myself that question all the time.” he said as they neared the doors. “Hey guys,” he greeted the two burly tanned men who stood at the door, arms behind their backs in a military fashion.
“Evening Mr. Levine,” one of them greeted. “You and your plus one I assume?” he asked as Adam nodded.
“Yep, that's us.” he confirmed as the other one took a clipboard off the wall and scratched something out on it while the other unclasped the velvet rope and let them through.
“Have a nice evening,” he said as they walked in.
Immediately there was music pounding, and people dancing. They were in a ballroom which had a hanging chandelier, which the lights reflected off of, casting sparkles everywhere. Ava was taken with the light fixture, because she stopped in the middle of the crowd and stared up at it. Adam was pulled back and looked to her. He laughed and followed her gaze.
“Like it?” he asked as she nodded, still in a daze.
“Love it.” she corrected as he smiled and pulled her gently.
“Come on, they're over here.” he said as she followed along behind him.
They came upon an area which looked to be the VIP part of the party, and Ava spotted Blake, Christina and CeeLo.
“Ah there he is!” Blake bellowed, standing up from the couch, as Ava stepped out from behind Adam.
Blake's expression faltered a moment and Ava was worried he didn't like what he saw.
Oh God. I bet he's expecting someone way prettier than me. Awesome. She thought but then he broke into a smile.
“And he's got a beautiful girl with him!” he said as Adam pulled Ava through.
“Blake, this is my girlfriend Ava, and Ava this is the country crazed Blake Shelton.” Adam introduced as they shook hands, Ava did her best to smile. “CeeLo,”
“How you doing pretty?” he asked her as they shook hands and Ava laughed.
“I'm great, thank you.” she replied
“This is Christina,” they shook hands as well.
“Nice to meet you Ava. I like your name,” she said while sitting back down in her tight blue dress. Ava thought she looked a bit like a mermaid right then with a starfish in her hair and jewels along her face.
“Thank you, I love the sparkles you have,” Ava replied with a laugh as Christina smiled brightly.
“Thanks, yeah I’m a fan of the glittery jewels and everything.” she admitted and Ava nodded before she heard Blake speak.
“So you're the girl Adam has been going on, and on, and on, and on-” he was cut off by a hard shove, being given by a somewhat embarrassed, but definitely annoyed Adam. “What?” exclaimed Blake in protest. “It's true, ain't it CeeLo?” Blake looked to his friend for support, but CeeLo just gave a easy shrug.
“I think it depends on how you define, 'on and on'. Adam talked about you a lot, yes.” CeeLo said with a smirk as Adam just shrugged.
“Well at least you know what I was saying wasn't all lies. Ava really is as great as I told her to be,” Adam looked over to her proudly as Ava flushed pink at his public comment towards her.

The chatting continued, witch included many stories about Adam and his antics. At one point Christina looked to Ava and said,
“Hope you know who you're tangling yourself up with,”
Ava wasn't sure if Christina really meant it. The way she said it was borderline joking and serious, so Ava just smiled a bit and went with it, not sure how to respond. Blake made a solid effort to embarrass both Adam and Ava to their full potential. He kept bringing up stories of Adam sneaking around with other girls all the time, and Ava would laugh at the lengths he went to for privacy. As well Ava was beginning to have a permanent flushed face from all of Blake's casual remarks about Ava.
“So, Ava, what do you do?” CeeLo asked a half hour later and Ava looked up to meet his eyes, which hid behind his famous sunglasses.
“Oh, I’m a vet.” she answered as he nodded.
“Very nice, you know my cat's being looking a bit off lately. Won't eat...Freaks out when I touch her ears.” he said as she thought.
“Well I can't be positive,” she began, different symptoms running through her head. “but it could be an ear infection, or possibly a form of worms, which can sometimes effect the ears as well. It's hard to say without running any tests to confirm it.” she explained, her voice turning professional as she talked about the thing she was best at.
CeeLo gave a laugh and looked to Adam. “You got a smart girl here, don't you Adam?”
Adam smiled proudly, glancing over at Ava for a minute. “Don't I know it. I could land myself in some trouble if I’m not careful though,” he smirked a bit as Ava laughed and nodded.
“Watch yourself Adam,” she muttered darkly, clearly joking, which earned some laughs from the on screen judges.

An hour later, both Ava and Adam had burned through their drinks. Ava noticed this and immediately felt like helping, so she took the glasses and stood up.
“Where you going Av?” asked Adam as she looked to the bar.
“Just to grab us some more drinks,” she said as he looked to her.
“Want me to help?” he asked her as she laughed and rolled her eyes.
“I appreciate the concern Adam but I do believe I can manage,” she smiled amused at him before walking from the VIP area to the bar.
“Oh, listen to that sass,” Blake commented as soon as Ava was out of earshot.
Adam laughed a bit. “Yeah, I know. She's funny.” he agreed as he continued to see Blake and CeeLo watching her. Right away, although they were both his friends, Adam felt a pang of jealousy hit him. Maybe possessiveness was a better description of how he was feeling.
“Adam I gotta be honest when I ask you, how do you pick a girl like that up without her being some model?” asked Blake in amazement as Adam gave a shrug and a small smile.
“We ran into each other after one of my concerts. I needed a breather and she couldn't find her car, so we met each other in a really creepy alley way.” he explained, laughing as Christina smiled.
“Awe, that's so cute. Two people meeting in the most unlikely place-makes for a good story. I like her Adam, I’d say she's a keeper,” Christina's eyes travelled to where Ava was now beginning to walk back with the drinks. “Funny, smart, obviously pretty too. Cares about people, has a good job....How does she deal with the paparazzi and fame though?” she asked and Adam sighed and shrugged.
“So far so good....As far as I know she doesn't really care, which is good for me.” he said as Ava continued to draw closer. “But we should stop talking about this now,” he winked as she walked right to the entrance of the VIP area. His friends respected his wishes and began to change the subject.

Adam ended up doing a performance-all The Voice judges did, and Ava enjoyed watching Adam do what he loved. Getting off the stage people were cheering as he reached Ava from where she stood off at the side.
“Hey, you were great.” she greeted him as he smiled broadly and pecked her lips.
“I'm glad you think so,” he replied as she smiled and looped her arms around his neck. Adam immediately returned the gesture by wrapping his arms around Ava's waist. “Did I tell you how beautiful you look tonight?” he asked innocently as she laughed and nodded.
“Yes, a few times actually.” she said to him as Adam nodded and smirked.
“Right, well I mean it every time. You know everyone really likes you.” he told her as Ava raised a brow.
“Really? I was just trying not to be super boring by talking about my average lifestyle,” she laughed at herself while Adam shrugged and smiled. “But they're all really nice too. Not at all stuck up and selfish like celebrity's are made out to be.” she said to him as he nodded and sighed.
“Yeah, that part of the job sucks. Having stuff written about you that totally isn't true but you have to sit and take it anyways. But I just say, 'my haters are my motivators'.” he said as she laughed and played with the hair at the bottom of his neck.
“Well said. Speaking of which....” she trailed unsurely.
Adam could sense something coming on and saw Ava's eyes darting around the room. He knew right away she wanted to be in a quieter place to talk, so he took her hand and lead her away from the crowds. They climbed a set of stairs and walked down a hallway. He opened a door curiously, and found it was a storage room full of food and snacks.
“We can talk here,” he offered as she laughed and nodded, taking in the room.
She reached for a bag of sour candies, which she couldn't reach. She sighed in frustration, frowning up at the bag she wanted. Adam chuckled and reached up, grabbing the bag for her. She smiled while taking the bag from him, batting her lashes. “My hero.” she said with a light laugh.
He smirked and reached for a box of Mars bars, opening the top and helping himself. Ava sat down against one of the shelves, opening the bag of sour candies and popping one into her mouth as Adam did the same, sitting next to her. “What do you think this room is even for?” she asked with look around.
Adam shrugged. “Storage I guess.” he bit off another chunk of chocolate and smiled. “I love Mars bars.” he sighed as she nodded.
“Yeah? I don't,” she said as he looked to her in shock.
“You can't be serious.” he said as she laughed and nodded. “You've got to be-Ava you're- oh my God. You have no clue how much you're missing out on.” he said shaking his head as he continued to eat happily.
She nodded. “I have somewhat of an idea, and to be quite honest, I don't really mind.” she said as she ate more of her candies. “But I found out now you're favourite chocolate is Mars bars.” she pointed out as he nodded.
“I'll eat them any day.” he agreed, but then looked at her. “But what did you want to talk about?” he asked and she sighed, shrugging.
“I don't know really...Well I do, but-I just heard this thing on the radio, telling you about like what's going on in the lives of the famous, and well...You-we-were mentioned.” she said to him as he just took in this information, nodding.
“Right,” Adam said. “And I bet they were saying how I’m not a long term relationship kind of guy, and I move from girlfriend to girlfriend, and my lifestyle isn't one that's meant for someone to be in and blah blah blah,” he said boringly, rolling his eyes.
Ava gave a small nod. “Yep,” she said. “Pretty much.”
Adam sighed and shot her a smirk. “Did they at least say you're the prettiest girlfriend I’ve had?” he asked and she blushed laughing.
“I doubt that I am, but yeah they were nice about my appearances.” she said and sighed. “You know I’m glad we talked about this. I was actually really stressed about telling you cause....I don't know...”
Adam's brows scrunched together. “What do you mean? What did you think I was gonna do?” he asked, concern in his voice as he watched Ava continuing to nibble at her candies. “Ava.” he said seriously, getting her attention.
She looked over at him, a guilty look on her face as she began. “I know it sounds stupid, and I know it probably wouldn't happen, but I guess I was just afraid that if I told you, then you would agree. Like, get this idea of 'yeah, the radio's right, this kind of thing isn't for me'.” she laughed despite herself. “I know, I know,” she sighed.
“I would never do that.” Adam said as she looked over and nodded at him.
“I know you wouldn't.” she agreed. “Here, have a bite.”
She put one end of a gummy worm in her mouth, leaving the other side hanging. Adam smirked and bit off the other side, their lips meeting as he did so. He kissed to corner of her mouth before sitting back and chewing as did Ava.
♠ ♠ ♠
So there is Chapter 9! I'm sorry I haven't gotten it up sooner, I've just been SUPER busy! So if you guys could keep leaving those lovely comments I wouldn't be complaining ;) I love your feedback so please, if you have any, GIVE IT! :D Thanks guys! You rock <3

~WritingGurl101_