Stepping Stone

Don't Waste Your Life on Stepping Stones

pic.twitter.com/SeKPt0 @violavogel is finally married and the nephews are my dates, why didn’t I invite @hallsy04 again? #maidofhonour #getmeadrinkor4

“Do you have to tweet at my wedding, Natalia?”

“Yes, I’m a Canadian celebrity, people care about what I do. Are you going to get a new account since you are no longer a Vogel?”

“It’s a twitter account that I barely use and you’re not a celebrity, you’re the host of a children’s show on public television that only plays in Alberta.”

“Alberta and British Columbia.”

“Oh wow Nat, never mind you have tons of people who must be interested.”

“Don’t underestimate me, now I have a speech to give about the best sister in the world.” Nat stood up and walked to the front of the room next to Mark’s best man. They both tapped their champagne glasses and then Tyler gave his speech.

“That’s going to be a hard speech to follow.” Nat laughed. “As you all know Viola is my sister, but more importantly she is my best friend. As the only two black girls in Canada we always had to deal with being different. But my amazing older sister taught me to embrace our differences because it’s what made us special. Or as she would say work what you got! Four years ago my incredibly amazing sister met Mark, at first I was skeptical that anyone would be good enough for my sister but they complete each other. Mark is hilarious and my sister has a bad sense of humor. My sister is an amazing cook and Mark can burn water. Together they make the perfect person and the way they look at each other tells me there is no happier couple. So congratulation to the couple of the century and I hope one day I can find a love as special and perfect as yours. I love you both so much.” Nat laughed away the last of her tears as she went to hug the couple.

“One day you’re going to find that perfect someone, until then you can have fun with Taylor.” Her sister smiled

“Don’t bring up this Taylor crap again, I really do love him.”

“He’s not a good boyfriend, you just take up space in his bed until some other girl will. I’m not saying you don’t love him Natty, but it’s not true long-lasting love, it’s young love filling your time.”

∆∆∆


Taylor and Jordan walked into their place, ecstatic after the night’s win. Both were incredibly tired after the weeklong road trip that ended with tonight’s home game, but agreed it was worth celebrating, even if it was a lazy celebration.

Taylor went into his room to change out of his suit. He noticed there was a large lump in his bed, which he knew was due to more than his messiness. As he got closer he saw the mess of hair sticking out from beneath his comforter and he smirked. He flopped on top of the lump and pulled down the covers until he revealed his girlfriend’s face before assaulting her with kisses.

“Taylor, stop! Use some chapstick before you kiss me. Get off of me you freak.” She tried swat him away, but his body weight limited her movements.

“What brings you to my home? And how did you get in?” Taylor asked sitting up.

“My not boyfriend Jordan gave me a key, so I can come in a do your laundry and make you guys dinner. And I was going to come and be all sexy and seductive since I haven’t seen you in a week but I feel asleep. So now I can’t really be sexy with my afro being all messed up like this.” Nat laughed as she pointed to the mess on top of her hair.

“I think it’s cute, maybe not sexy but you know I always mess it up anyways.” He winked.

“Well maybe I will let you mess it up more later, but right now I’m starving and desperately need a beer.” She smiled getting up revealing that she was still wearing the deep blue bridesmaid dress from earlier that evening.

“Don’t you think that is a little low in the back for a wedding?” Taylor asked.

“Well you can’t see my shoulders” Nat pointed to the flowy sleeves, “so this makes up for that lack of skin, but that was my surprise for you, because I can’t wear a bra with this dress.” She sauntered off as Taylor gulped.

Taylor changed out of his suit quickly and into sweats as he ran out towards his girlfriend. Only to see Jordan and her chatting while they both had a beer. She looked frustrated at whatever Jordan was saying, but her hair may have caused the frustration as she also tried to pick it out. He laughed at his girlfriend’s multitasking as she left the pick in her hair to take another swig of beer and then a spoonful of ice cream from the carton that stayed in the boys’ freezer reserved for her consumption. Taylor grabbed a beer and sat down noticing their conversation died down with his presence.

“I don’t know why you’re trying to fix your hair, you’re just going to sleep on it later, it’s already late.”

“I just want to show Ebs, here how pretty I looked at the wedding.” She smiled before leaning over to give Taylor a quick peck on the lips.

“How was it anyways? Did you have some fun without me?”

“It was really fun minus the fact my sister only let me drink champagne because she didn’t want me drunk during my speech. And thank God you didn’t come, because my mom and sister kept talking about how I need to break up with you and how they don’t like you.”

“Oh yeah, your family hates me.”

“They don’t hate you, if we were just friends they would love you, they just don’t like our relationship. But let’s be honest most people don’t think we should be together so I just ignore them.” She shrugged before turning to Jordan.

“I heard you scored a goal tonight nice job.” She ruffled Jordan’s hair.

“Thanks, I think I’m going to head to bed but you two have fun, don’t be too loud.” Jordan gave a gap toothed smile before retreating to his room.

“So what were you and Ebs talking about before I came in?”

“Just about how I deserve better than you, but I think that’s because I get in the way of your bromance.”

“Ebs is against us too?” Taylor set his head on the counter with a groan.

“Well Nuge did have dibs on me and you broke the bro code and stole me away. Then you did kind of make out with another girl a few months ago. So there’s that. But we have fun and you’re adorable so I forgive you.”

She stood up putting away her ice cream before standing between his legs and placing her hands on his shoulders. She looked in his eyes, and saw the remorse and that was enough for her. Her family’s words rung in her ears but she didn’t care. She had young love and so what if it didn’t turn into forever love? She was happy.

“I still have a surprise under this dress if you’re still up for it.” She gave a wicked smile as she saw Taylor’s face quickly brighten up.

He lifted her off the floor and carried her to his bedroom. He set her down on the bed before reaching around to pull down the zipper of her dress. He slowly pulled the dress down her body revealing endless amounts of mocha skin. He finally removed the whole dress and looked at her whole body. Giving a smirk to the blue panties that had an orange number four on the front.

“Their my lucky panties.” She whispered into his ear before kissing his jaw and connecting their lips in a searing kiss.

“Well I think I would be even luckier if you weren’t wearing any.” He said huskily.

He moved his lips down her neck as he removed her panties. He continued his assault on her body. He took one of nipples into his mouth and move a hand down to her folds. He let out a groan as he felt how wet she was.

“Tay, babe, I want you. Just be inside of me.” Natalia moaned out as she gripped his shirt trying to take it off. Taylor took care of his pants on his own before pushing into her.

Taylor began to pump agonizingly slow knowing it would rile her up even more. She gripped his shoulders and arched her back trying to create more friction and speed Taylor up before letting out an airy ‘faster’ followed by ‘harder’. Her eyes were rolled into the back of her head and she felt the warmth building up in her stomach.

Taylor thrust harder pushing deeper into Natalia. He felt her hands move into his hair as she pulled him down to give him a kiss. He felt her body begin to clench around him and it felt so good he thought he would pass out. She began to moan louder and he knew she was close. He thrusted faster and he felt her squeeze tightly around him, her body spasming as waves of ecstasy enveloped her and she screamed out Taylor’s name. He himself was having a sensory overload, with all her moans, how she felt, the feeling of her velvety skin under his calloused hands. He let out a moan and buried his face in her neck as he came. Panting heavily.

He slowly pulled out of her rolling over next to her. She let out a relieved sigh as she curled into his side. Her mess of curls tickling his chest was the last thing he felt before sleep took over his body.

The next morning Natalia got up and wandered into the kitchen to see Ebs and Taylor making her toast. She grinned and sat at the counter. They sat and talked for a while before Nat decided she needed to go home, shower, and fix her hair.

“I’ll see you later Tay, love you.” She pecked his cheek, threw on her peacoat, and went for the door.

“Me too,” Taylor called out with his mouthful of food. Natalia felt her heart sink a little lower.

“Really Hallsy?” Jordan asked as soon as Natalia shut the door.

“What?”

“Me too? And you wonder why everyone thinks you guys should break up. She’s head over heels for you and you can’t even tell her ‘I love you’?”

“I haven’t got around to it.”

“Well do it soon before she leaves you, or let her go so you can deal with some girl who has less feelings.”

∆∆∆


Watching @nattyvogues make cupcakes with kids on TV #missingmygirl #canfinalsbedover #shoulderehab #weekendgetaway

Nat rolled her eyes as she read the tweet. She felt overwhelmed and stressed for the past week and all Taylor did was sit on the couch and go to physical therapy for his now healing shoulder. But still had time to make fun of all the tests she had to take on top of filming episodes for the show. She however had some of the weight lifted off her as she threw her textbooks aside and flopped on her bed; finally finished with the hellish finals week and her sophomore year.

However, her head was still swimming. Her sister’s words continued to eat away at her. In the month and a half since the wedding Nat became more aware of all the flaws in her relationship. She began to see the truth in her sister’s words. The way he said me too rather than I love you too, or how he never called on road trips. She looked at the tweet again and frowned, deep down she felt like Taylor could be the one, but as of late she wasn’t so sure. She was interrupted from all her thoughts by a shift on her mattress.

“Hey baby, I saw that you came over and did my laundry and I know that means you’re stressed. I decided to come distress you.” Taylor whispered and kissed her shoulder.

“Thanks but I’m a little worn out.”

“We can just stay here and chill, Bri said her girlfriend was making cookies and would bring us some so we can celebrate with delicious lesbian baked goods.”

“Do you have to call them that?”

“Yes. I’m still in shock that Bri is a lesbian, I always thought she had a thing for Ebs.”

“She has said she would go straight for him. But on to more important things, in a certain tweet you said weekend getaway, what do you mean by that?”

“I just thought you and I could have a nice weekend just the two of us, I got a cabin on a lake and we can go whenever you want, have you ever made out with Bri?” Taylor said with slight ADHD

“Of course I have, we’re best friends and she always wanted to kiss a black girl so obviously I volunteered like a good friend. Now stop thinking with your dick and take me anywhere away from this place.” Nat said jumping up.

Four days later the two lay worn out on the bed in the cabin staring out at the lake through the two picture windows. Natalia’s head was resting on Taylor’s bare chest as he played with one of her curls. He looked down to see her face scrunched up in thought.

“Are you okay Natty?”

“Yes. No, Tay I have something to tell you.” She sat up facing towards Taylor. “My sister talked to me a few days ago and she kind of asked me if I would be her surrogate.”

“Her surrogate?”

“Yeah, like carry her baby for her, apparently something is wrong with her uterus or something, I mean it will be her and Mark’s baby because they have fertilized eggs but I would be carrying it and have it for them.”

“So for nine months you’d be pregnant with someone else’s baby? We wouldn’t be able to have sex, that’s a long time to do a favor.” Taylor didn’t really know what to say.

“I know you don’t have siblings, so you wouldn’t really understand that I would do anything for my sister because she’s my flesh and blood and my best friend. I can’t imagine how she is feeling. She’s twenty-seven and she just got told she will never be able to carry her own children. Nothing I can ever say will ever make that better so why not do something to make some miniscule amount better.”

“But what are you going to do about school or work.”

“People are going to judge me and assume things especially at school. I’m going to deal, besides most people know we’re together so they’ll just think it’s your baby for a while. And for work I still have to talk to them. I mean I’ve been the host since I was sixteen, at the end of this season it will be four years and I can’t work there forever so I need to give them enough time in advance to find someone new or find a way to make me look less pregnant.”

“You honestly don’t care? You just will change your whole life, our relationship for this?”

“The reason I’m telling you now is so you’re not surprised if this happens. I mean it’s not a done deal yet. They still have to inject fertilized eggs in me and one of them has to actually implant in my uterus and start growing and that may not happen, I told her I would try twice but if it didn’t work then she needs to find someone else. I thought you should be one of the first people to know because I feel like our relationship is kind of special, I mean I lost my virginity to you so you have a special place in my heart. I just want to give you some time to wrap your head around this I mean I still haven’t let it sink in yet.”

“I really care about you Nat, but you being pregnant? It won’t even be my kid and I’ll have to deal with that. I love our relationship; I love how you make me laugh and we can do anything and have fun. But I don’t know if it’s all said and done and you really get pregnant I can be in a relationship with you anymore.” Taylor sighed, “but I don’t want to quit now, I mean I know that sounds mean to say something like that but until it happens I still want to be with you.” Nat was about to say something when both their phones went off.

@RNH_93 and I finally figured out what @hallsy04 and @nattyvogues baby would look like ‪pic.twitter.com/sNOmZ3Y

They both looked at the photo Jordan tweeted. It was a picture of Natty from a TV show poster with Taylor’s lips and eyes glued over her own. They looked at each other and Natty finally let out all the tears she had been keeping in the past week. Taylor held her because he felt that’s what was the right thing to do.

“Just take me home.” She sobbed.

∆∆∆


Hoping my boys @hallsy04 @RNH_93 @ebs_14 don’t become unemployed today #NHLlockout #fingerscrossed #idbelonely

Natalia felt sick. She was nervous about today and had been for weeks. She was so nervous that after the tweeting at 6 in the morning she turned off her phone and tried to keep herself from the outside world. After attempting to study for about 5 hours straight she was going insane and decided to get something to eat.

“Still no news yet?” Bri, her roommate asked.

“No, I’m trying to avoid everything, I fear the worst.”

“Well I hope the best for you and for all of Canada. I need to be able to yell at the TV for some reason, and I can’t really yell at your show.”

“I think I’m just going to sleep until it’s announced, wake me up when that happens.” Nat stood up and went to bed.

Taylor was nervous. His career, his new contract, all of it was on the line. He sat in his apartment with Jordan waiting for the call. They weren’t really talking, not really sure what to say to relieve the tension. They just waited.

Twelve hours later the couple was in Taylor’s room sitting on his bed. The lockout was now in effect. The length was undetermined and they were in limbo, unsure where to go from here.

“I have to tell you something,” they both said at the same time. Taylor nodded for Nat to go first.

“I’m pregnant.” She looked at Taylor who looked shocked and pale as a sheet. “It’s my sister’s, I’m the surrogate.” She added realizing she hadn’t mentioned it in almost six months.

“Wow, I guess I should say congratulations, when did you find out?”

“Yesterday, I’m apparently almost five weeks along, only thirty-five more to go.” She tried to hold back tears. “So what were you going to tell me?”

“I’m going down to the AHL, to Oklahoma City, they don’t know if I can play yet because of my shoulder but Ebs and Nuge are going and I’m going down there too because its closer to hockey than here.”

“Oklahoma? Like the state?” Taylor nodded. “Well at least you might still get to play if this lasts a while.” She now was just letting her tears fall.

“And I think if I’m in a whole other country, maybe we should breakup, I don’t want the stress of long distance on either of us especially now that I know you’re pregnant. Everyone already thinks we shouldn’t be together, so maybe we should finally listen to them.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Part one of two, hope you enjoy!

Chapter title credit: Harbour Lights by A Silent Film

Comment?