‹ Prequel: One More Year
Status: Comments = Love and I DO reply!

The Next Year

Chapter 20

*January 28th, 2014 Aleks' POV*

This last week had been a doozy. Out of five games we had won three, dropping games to the Panthers and Stars. This weekend was our Mother's Trip. Mom and Trina were already so excited! We were going to LA and Phoenix. I had helped do a little planning and got Ray to let them have time for shopping in Phoenix, yeah LA is better but Phoenix would be more fun. My mom had picked Trina up on Sunday as we were at practice when she came in. She would be leaving on the 2nd so she would have time to pack for Sochi.

After lunch we were all meeting at my folks place so we could go over what they might need or want. Of course this didn't stop the moms from being at today's practice. It was great seeing all the strong women who let their little boys go off too young to play a sport that could seriously hurt them. The guys had been like little boys as their moms came into town. Ok so I might have been showing off a little bit as well...

I was lucky and got out of our off day media so I was able to shower, change and meet the moms in Suite 66 where Mari was showing off her space. Of course Mari was in the middle of a story about one of the last events. I waited until she was done to announce myself. I rapped on the door frame making them all turn. "There's our favorite rookie. How was practice?" Of course that was Mari.

I smiled. "It was practice, I had fun but of course now I have to wait until someone is done with his media." I sat on the couch and sighed, I was hungry.

Mom smiled. "We could always take my car and he can meet us after he's done." I shook my head. "He had you drive didn't he?" I nodded and she sighed. "Then I guess we wait. Maybe you could grab a snack so you aren't ready to tear his head off when he gets out here."

I smiled and pulled out the bar I had snitched. "Already thought of that." I took a bite and chewed. Why couldn't they make energy bars that tasted good and were good for you? This was not quite cardboard but it would keep my stomach from growling for a bit. "Mari, is your mom excited like ours are?" Yep, since Geno's mom wouldn't be coming he invited Mari's mom this weekend. I think it was to make up a bit for not being allowed to bring them to Sochi. Not like their daughter could miss two weeks of school either.

"Of course! She wants to see as much as they will let her see. She never took me to games really that was a dad or the brothers three." We smiled at each other. Our brothers went to a lot of hockey games with us over the years. Her mom was always the one to hold down the home, not that she didn't support Mari and her chosen sport, she just didn't want to see her baby girl get hurt.

Geno came in grinning. "Mamma waits, need to go." We all chuckled as he sat down facing his wife. Anna was in school so it was a good time for Mari's mom to come in. Geno looked at me. "Family dinner tonight?"

I snorted. "Geno do you really want 3 mothers in the same room with all of the stories they could share about us?" He nodded with a big grin. "Of course you do, your mother isn't here to dish on you."

We eventually got to lunch and then back to my folk's place to go over what they might need for the trip. While Sid looked up the weather for the days and places we were going, I went through mom's closet to find things that would work well and not need too much care on the road. Trina watched so she would have a good idea of what she would need. "We're only going to be gone 4 and 1/2 days mom. You aren't going to need a week's worth of clothing."

She sighed. "Dearling you realize that not every woman likes a minimum wardrobe when she's on the road right? I realize that it would be easier to take but I want some variation just in case." She laid a loving hand on my cheek. "Besides, this is my first road trip. Didn't you over pack for yours?"

Crap she had me there. I sighed and admitted defeat. "Fine fine you win. I hope you can move that case though." Trina rubbed my shoulder in sympathy. Of course this is when Sid came in.

"Lots of sun this weekend." He did a quick survey and saw how my mom was packing. Looking at me grinned. "Lost the fight huh?"

I nodded. "She reminded me of my first roadie and how badly I over packed. Which is totally not fair as I was in high school at the time." Then I remembered that I needed to add a skirt or a dress to my pile at home. We would be having dinner at the other Pens owners home, Ron Burkle. I didn't think I have ever really met him before.

There was a knock on the door frame. We all turned to find Mario standing there. "Sorry to interrupt, I wanted to remind you Katya that there will be dinner at Ron's home Wednesday evening. He's looking forward to meeting you. My dragon at the gate so to speak. I don't think he's put two and two together and figured out that Aleks is your child."

Mom laughed. "Oh I'm sure he hasn't yet. He asked me if 'that Malakhov fellow' was going to bringing his mother yesterday. Some days I swear we should have named her Svetlana like we wanted to but no, Pavel had to call home and talk to his mama." I shrugged, having grown up hearing this story it wasn't a shock to me.

"Wait she was almost Svetlana? Wow that a mouthful." I just shook my head. As much as he tried he really had very little clue on just how Russians named their children.

Of course this sparked a conversation of what other names any of us could have been. It lasted through dinner with the entire Pittsburgh family and ended when Annushka asked if she could change her name. Geno put his foot down. "No, you are our Annushka. Named after to important Anna's. The mother of the Theotokos and your own Babushka. Your name is perfect." That seemed to make her happy, her papa thought her name was perfect.

As I prepped the coffee maker that night so we wouldn't have to wait in the morning, Trina came into the kitchen. "Getting everything ready for the morning?"

I smiled. "When the flight is this early we need Timmie's for sure. I've got a quiche recipe that I have made mini quiches with that are great to eat on the road. I make those up while he packs and then I pack. It makes it easier on both of us. We don't get in each others way while getting what we want out of the closet." She chuckled.

She sighed in a very contented way. "Are you excited for this trip?"

I turned and grinned. "Force me to spend time with people I love and don't see as often as I would like, oh please do. Yeah I'm excited. I haven't played in LA since I won with the Caps so I'm sure that will be interesting. Playing in new arenas is a bit nerve wracking but not as bad as it was earlier this year. I can now guess at the reception I'll get, although even that has gotten more positive in the last few weeks. Since the Olympic Team Announcement and the one from the IIHF. There had been a kerfuffle over me being allowed to play on the Men's Team until the IIHF went public with the decision they had made in August. They also said that they would take any other women playing with a men's team on a case by case basis.

Sid came out and set his bag near the garage door in the mud room. "Yeah I heard they got a lot of requests for ladies who are playing in Europe and a handful in the US and Canada. Not that I want teams to be mixed cause we play different games really, but it's cool that they are willing to at least look." He tugged me into his arms. "My favorite ground breaker."

I leaned back against him and snorted. "I blame Manon. She sparked an entire generation of girls to want to chase the NHL Dream. Someday I hope I get blamed too."

Trina chuckled. "You should talk to girls teams and get involved with promoting the women's game. You could help make serious inroads for others." She had been asked to take a more active role in promoting the women's game herself and did it to try and help Taylor.

Sidney laughed. "She does, she talks to every female player who wants to talk to her. Although it might do some good to do something for PR with the Pens." We moved to the great room and our comfy couch. "I think Pat is setting something up for this summer."

I smiled. "He is. He's trying to find schools and such near where we're going to be where I could go by and talk to the kids about how hard I work to be and stay in the League. I did tell him that I didn't want to do any of that until after the NHL Awards. I have a feeling I might have some hardware to bring home."

*January 29th, 2014* *Aleks' POV*

Just before we left for the airport Sid got a call from Dan. He looked grim afterwards. "Kallie found Tanger on the floor this morning. The docs have cleared him to travel with us but he won't be playing. They're going to be trying to figure out what happened. Sorry babe but you're without your normal partner until further notice." I was stunned. I wanted to call and find out from Tanger but at the same time I'm sure he was more worried about other things, there would be time to talk to him later.

We got to the private hangar we used for our charter flights. We were on time as usual for the flight. Once aboard I had a seatmate for once, my mom. We got into the air and I had to ask mom how she felt about leaving her day job for a while. She laughed. "It'll be nice to get away during the season. Going to Sochi will be nice too. Your grandpa Mikhail is excited to see you." That's right mom's family was from the Black Sea.

"I'm excited to see all of them too. I don't really remember them well." Mom patted my arm. I was young when they had gone back to Russia after travel was allowed again. "I remember you have 2 sisters and a brother besides Busha and Baba." We passed time talking about how nice it would be to see everyone again even for such a short while.

Upon landing and getting to practice it wasn't that I put mom being here behind me more like I worked at staying focused instead of being a kid like I wanted. There would be time to bang against the boards and try to make her jump. After practice it was time for lunch, catered by the hotel of course. This was also when I found out that Sid and I still had connecting doors. Not that there would be anything going on during this trip, I had a roommate. We got the afternoon off and so while most of the guys and moms were going all over seeing sights we decided to stay in and discuss logistics for Sochi. Not that we would have a lot of time but the time we did have it would be important to have a plan.

Soon enough it was time to dress and go to Ron Burkle's home for dinner. I put on a modest A line dress and some new dress sandals I was putting into warm weather circulation. I then grabbed my Celine bag and my leather jacket. Sid knocked on the connecting door frame. I turned and he smiled. "You need a necklace or something you don't look finished." I just shook my head and went to my travel jewelry case. I didn't always wear jewelry on the road, it normally took someone pointing out that it would look nice that got me to. I put on the diamond necklace and earrings he got me and saw him smile. "I have no idea how I got so lucky to have the three best dressed ladies as my family."

Trina chuckled. "Well I think it has something to do with being family and then finding the woman who's completely your match." He took her arm and squeezed my hand. "Oh before I forget, Aleks would you mind if I tagged along in Phoenix? It seems someone doesn't want to get trapped in a mall."

I shrugged. "I don't mind. I was going to take mom and get her a new tote bag. If it's ok with you babe I'll do the same for your mom." I got a kiss to the temple and a whispered thank you as we rode in the elevator. "Besides I heard rumor that they have settled on a color for Skates & Plates for this year and I'm hoping to find a knockout dress for it."

Sid smiled. "Get something like the one you wore in New York when I was being an idiot. You looked _so_ good in that dress." I heard kissy noises coming from behind us and found Beau and Bortz back there with their moms.

Mom chuckled. "I heard there was a knockout dress. I'm sure we can find something just as good. Remember there will be children there though." We exited the elevator and made our way towards the doors and the bus.

"I know mom. That dress was extra sexy cause someone needed to be reminded of a few things, but Herve Leger does have dresses that would be appropriate for that event. Let me guess you know what this year's color is don't you." She chuckled which was as good as confirming it.

Getting to Mr. Burkle's home was easy being intimidated by it was also easy. It was huge, larger than Mario's home in Sewickley. I leaned over to mom and whispered. "I think I love Mario and Nathalie even more now."

I heard a chuckle from behind me and there was the couple I had just mentioned. "We love you too Aleks. I am hoping that Ron will finally understand the significance of just who you are not only to the organization at large but me and Sidney in particular." I flushed and twisted the rings on my hand. I still had trouble with how big this new set was sometimes.

Nathalie came to my rescue. "Yes, she is the best rookie defenseman who is also our emergency babysitter. Not to mention someone our children go to when they need someone besides boring mom and dad to talk to." She patted my head as that was all she could reach.

We disembarked and all got shown into the mansion. I had never thought of any house as a mansion before today but I would now. Of course when Ron and his wife came in he beelined for Mario. "My friend it's been too long." They shook hands.

Mario smiled. "It has, you should come to Pittsburgh more often. I have someone for you to meet. Katya Malakhov, my executive assistant and so called dragon at the gate. I would be completely lost without her hand on the pulse of the entire organization." Mom flushed, she never thought of herself as the guardian of anyone or knowing everything.

Ron brightened. "Ah! At last I meet you. I don't suppose I can lure you out to California can I?" His wife smacked him lightly while mom laughed.

"There isn't enough money in the world for me to leave where I am. My boys are a short flight away, my husband is happy with his job and then there's Aleks. I just can't leave her." I was touched by that. Mom and I had a good relationship but it seemed we never got enough time anymore.

Ron nodded. "The illustrious Alex Malakhov. He's got some impressive stats."

Sid overheard and butted in. "Excuse me Mr. Burkle, Aleks isn't male. She's the only woman in the NHL and standing next to my mother-in-law." Trina kissed my cheek and Ron seemed to understand his mistake.

He pointed between mom and myself for a bit. "Wait you're. I am so sorry." He then seemed to get what Sid had said. Turning to face him he questioned. "Mother-in-law? As in..."

Sid grinned and about half the team laughed. "This coming July is our second anniversary. Only a select group knows but that will change after the Olympics." After that was cleared up the night went much smoother. Nothing quite like one of the owners thinking you're male just because everyone else on the team is.

*January 31, 2014*

We had beaten the Kings the night before and were now free after practice in Scottsdale. Lucky me got several moms wanting to go shopping. Trina, Anna and my own. They had gotten together during practice and decided that we needed to go to Macy's. I was able to have them let me eat first then we went out. When we got to the store they ganged up on me. Anna took my arm. "I know that Evgeni gave you instructions on what to have me get but I would rather get something I need than clothes."

I smiled at her. "Mom, he feels horrible that he can't take you guys with the rest of us to Sochi and is trying to make up for it. If you want something other than clothes then we'll get it. What do you need?" My mom didn't raise an eyebrow at me calling Anna mom but Trina did. Anna put a hand on my arm and pointed it out. "Oh? Did you not know that Anna is my second mom? She's Michaela's mom we grew up only a few doors apart."

I saw the light dawn in her eyes. "That explains why you and she are so close. You're sisters in all but blood." I nodded, happy that she got it. "That also helps me understand why you had no problem handing the wedding over to her. She knows you like she knows herself."

Anna was grinning. "Exactly. There was a point between both houses that as long as all the kids were fed, clothed and in school on time it didn't matter where they slept. We used the 'it takes a village' model to raise them all and it turned out that they all blossomed under it." We wandered through to handbags. This is where they wanted to be.

My mom began looking at totes. The other two spread out and began looking at other kinds of bags. I, on the other hand, started looking at the luggage. When we had taken my luggage to the store in Ottawa, after the incident in New York, they said it would be better if I just replaced the bag as they couldn't fix it. So here I was looking at a cute spinner trunk. It was the same size as the bag I needed to replace but a nicer design if you ask me. It was an 80/20 split on the two halves. As I took a closer look it was everything I wanted in a bag. I snapped a photo of the bag and sent it to Sid. 'I found this, you want one?' He of course came back with. 'Not at that price. Ebags has it for $300 for the 25 inch. Your carry on needs replacing right?'

I laughed. It drew Trina's attention. She came over and saw our conversation. "Get a new carry on Aleks. You know you need one." She was right. I wrote back to him. 'Yeah it does. Something hands free would be nice.'

"Yeah I just wish I was there to help him look for it. What he needs and what I need are a little different." I pulled up Ebags on my phone and compared the prices. He was right, cheaper there and we won't have to ship it home. Trina patted my shoulder.

"I think we've all decided on the same bag but in different colors." I followed her over and saw that they had all picked the same bag. I couldn't help but laugh. I got them together and took a picture. I sent it to Geno and Sid with the caption of 'Our moms have excellent taste. All chose the same bag!' Geno texted me back with 'Get black one for Mama.'

I picked up his chosen color for his mom and then was herded to the cashier. Once I had paid for them all, Mom got us into a taxi and then into Nordstrom's. "Now, I know that you're wondering what the Skates & Plates color is this year. It's white. So, let's find you a wonderful dress while we're here." Both Anna and Trina grinned.

We went up to the formal wear for women section and started looking. When we enlisted help from the sales staff there was a total of 7 gowns to try on. We figured my size in each and then I headed for the dressing room. I wish I had one of the girls with me but I didn't. I would make do with the moms. The first dress was from Donna Morgan. It was a V neck and had a defined waist. It looked nice on me but it didn't feel quite right. I needed to be able to pour wine and look good standing for hours, this was a bit loosed than I would have wanted.

The second I vetoed due to the illusion back it had. I didn't mind showing for for Sidney but for our fans it was another matter. The third was a nice fit and looked good. It was a column dress with lace at the hem. It joined the first in the maybe pile. Fourth was an Alexander McQueen gown that except for the slit up the right side had absolutely no character. I wasn't trying to hide I just didn't want everything to be on display.

Gowns 5, 6, & 7 were all by Herve Leger. I started with the one I felt was most daring, the V neck. I slithered into it and did up the back. As with my last Herve dress it contoured to my curves. But this one wasn't the winner. Seeing that I had three to try on I did put the ones that had made the maybe pile into the maybe not pile. I stepped out to show the moms and saw them comparing baby photos. "Wow, at least do that where you can't embarrass me."

As one they looked up and flushed. Oh they were telling stories too. "I love this designer but I feel meh in this gown." It was ok but I wanted something better. I turned when they asked and saw their faces were nearly identical to mine. "Nope, I'll try the Mermaid next." It was a tighter fit, if you can believe that. Coming out I braced myself. This showed more than I wanted to show.

Anna got up and walked around me. "Are you sure dear? It shows an awful lot of places you normally try to keep covered." She then back pedaled. "Don't get me wrong you look amazing. I just know you try to go for class as well as good looking."

I nodded. "You hit it on the head. This is almost trashy to me, at least for a fundraiser. I'll try the last one and pray that I find something." I went back into the dressing room and put on the last gown. It was an off the shoulder gown with peekaboo stitches and braided trim around the shoulders. I needed help zipping this one up so Mom came in. "What do you think?"

She zipped me up and smiled. "I think this might be the one. It shows off your curves but doesn't show too much other stuff." We went out and I heard Trina gasp.

I looked around and grinned. Then I stupidly looked at the price tag and gagged. $1600 for a dress?! Trina must have noticed because she came up, took my phone and then a picture of me. Handing it back she spoke surely. "Send this to him. If you're worried about the price. Don't forget you will need a killer pair of heels too." She stepped back and I without even thinking sent it to Sid.

Quickly my phone was ringing. "Holy hell Aleks! Are you trying to kill Sid?" When I couldn't respond fast enough there was a huff and a short scuffle and Sid was on. "Ignore him! Is that by the same guy who did the blue one you got in New York?"

I took a breath. "Yeah, but I don't know now. It's $1600 before shoes." I saw Anna get up and go towards shoes. "I can find something in a lower price range. I have time." I was pointedly ignoring the glare from my mother.

"Don't you dare! I don't normally care what you wear but I will say that if this makes you feel as good as the last one did, don't care about the price and just get it. Hand the phone to one of the moms, please." I would have said something about that idea but he said the last word softly.

I handed my phone to someone and turned away from the conversation to find Anna coming back with a set of shoes. "Here these look like they will make that even better." She helped me into them and boy was she right. They were only 3 inch heels and sandals to boot but they picked the hem off the floor and made me look elegant. I walked over to the mirror and took a look. Anna came over and smiled. "You look wonderful Aleksandra. I know why you're balking at the price but how often does a dress like this come along? I say for your first Charity Event as a team member you need a dress all the people will love. By how you came out you love it, it was clear how he feels. I'm sure everyone else will love it too."

My fears of failing came to the surface. "What if they all hate it and me?" I didn't realize I said anything aloud until mom put her arm around me. "What if I ruin any other woman's shot?"

"Baby girl. You won't and you aren't. No one can hate you because of how you dress for a charity event. If they do, then they are too shallow to speak to. The boys have to wear tuxedos so why not have you wear a killer dress? Think of how elegant you all will look. You are a credit to your chosen profession and all the other women who want to join you here." She had her cheek next to mine just like we used to do when I was little and afraid.

Trina came over and looked so proud. "Aleks just by being yourself you have made it easier for those women who might want to join the NHL to do so. I truly hope one day that the CWHL is as successful so that no one has to give up their dreams. You can probably even give their attendance a boost if you have time. Maybe not this year but next for sure." This was Trina's way to make sure Taylor didn't have to give up playing after college and I truly admired her for it.

I made a mental note to check their schedule so I could see if I could make a game. I kind of doubted it but I would look. By changing the topic slightly she had done something, made me forget how much this dress cost. "I'll look into it." I headed back to the dressing room to change back into my clothes so I could find jewelry. Then I thought about it, I had the perfect jewelry already the diamonds Sid gave me. This would also work well as I would only be wearing 1 metal, platinum. I came out and found they were whispering probably about me. I picked up my phone and texted Jen. Got my dress for Skates & Plates. The moms helped.

On the way back to the hotel everyone was happy. Jen texted me back with: Awesome team will refund half of it and shoes. That meant I only really spent a bit over $1200 instead of the $2400 my credit card said I did. I did text her back with receipt photos which got her to tell me she wanted to see the dress when we got back.

When we got back to my room Jen, Sid and Geno were waiting. Trina gushed. "Oh son wait until you see what she got. It is incredible!" We all tramped into my room and I pulled the dress out.

Jen whistled. "That is one hell of a dress. A notch up from your debut one and you looked killer in that." Both the boys were awfully quiet, then I looked over and saw why both of them had jaws on the floor.

I smiled and pulled Jen into the bathroom. "Come help me. I would rather not kill him before we have this thing." I shimmied into the dress as quickly as I could and put on the shoes. Jen grinned at me as she zipped me up.

I stepped out and saw Sidney's eye bug out. Geno just chuckled. Sid came over and didn't know where or how to touch me. "Whoa. Yeah this is awesome."

I leaned forward and kissed his lips tenderly. "Thank you for talking to me about this one. I really do love it." Geno gagged, teasing us. I looked over at him with my bland face. "Really? This is how you treat the woman who will make you number 1 son?" I handed him the tote bag we had chosen for Mama Malkina.

After dinner my mom insisted that she needed a night in the room alone. This meant that I would not be sleeping alone, I would have my man next to me. Of course we both slept like rocks despite the lumpy mattress. I slept so well, in fact, that I actually remembered one of my dreams.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The colors were vivid, unusually so, which for some reason didn't bother me. I was at a dance recital, one for little kids. This wash:t odd until Sid sat next to me out of breath. "I didn't miss her did I?"

I shook my head. "No the group dance is now." I whispered back as the ensemble was on stage.

He slid out of his winter coat with a happy sigh. "Thank God. We hit bad turbulence and we almost had to land in Columbus." I then felt a squeeze on my shoulder and saw Flower behind me, I smiled at him and quickly texted Vero who was backstage.

We all clapped as the kids bowed and then our daughter's class took the front of the stage. Both Sid and Flower refrained from causing a scene. Then, after they were set in their starting positions, the dance began. The music I had gotten used to hearing, Suzy Snowflake, filled the air. Of course the kids were being prompted by their teacher for the choreography, all but one. Sid leaned over and whispered. "She is good at this."

I smiled and held his hand. "You should tell her so when we get her after." I watched our dark haired girl do her absolute best to get it all perfect. Dance class was the balance for the Little Penguins Team she was on. After this year she had to pick which one she did.

After the recital was over and we were picking up our families I heard a loud squeal and caught Estelle throwing herself, with joyful abandon, at her papa. Looking I found our daughter in near tears, when I showed Sid he sighed and went to fetch her.

I didn't hear what she said to him, but I heard his reply. "Mikhaila Rose, I will ALWAYS do my best to see you perform on and off the ice. Even if I have to bribe mommy into Facetiming you to me." That seemed to brighten her up as she then saw me and grinned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke with a start and sitting straight up in bed. This of course woke Sid as well. "What's wrong?"

Panting I worked to calm myself so I could answer him. Shortly I laid a hand on him and looked him in the eye. "A real freaky dream. Real freaky."

He turned to face me. "Talk to me babe." He was clearly getting worried.

By now I could breathe easier. "I, well we, were at a dance recital. For our daughter." The surprise on his face was plain. "Her name," I choked up a bit. He rubbed my arm lovingly encouraging me without a word. "You called her Mikhaila Rose."

His jaw dropped a little bit. "How did? I dreamt of a little girl with that name before we came on this trip. You were teaching her how to skate backwards at Consol." It was my turn to be stunned. He kept talking quietly. "I didn't know how to talk about it or else I would have said something. To me she looked like you but with my dark hair."

I sighed in relief. "It looked like we won't have her for a few more years, at least Estelle was about 5 in my dream." Sidney smiled. "You're still ok with me retiring from playing when we get pregnant right?"

He got us horizontal again and pulled me close. "Aleks, I don't want to ever stop you from playing, but when we do find out we've been blessed once again. I won't hesitate from doing what I have to to keep you both safe." He tucked my head onto his shoulder and yawned again. "You and our Mikhaila Rose." I quickly fell asleep in his arms, amused that we had a name for our future daughter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello all! I have not fallen off the face of the planet, just been super busy since Real Life exploded due to my mother-in-law needing surgery.

You can find the dresses on the Nordstrom website just look under gowns with white as the color. To get a look at the dress and shoes she picked check them out here on their Pinterest board.

The tote bag the moms got is found here. Katya got the Heritage Blue one. Trina got the Pearl Gray one. Anna got the Chili and of course the black was gotten for Mama Malkina.

The song and choreography from Aleks' dream is here. It was the cutest song for winter that didn't get on my nerves.

Well now they have a name but no baby on the horizon just yet. Got lots of things left to do this season first!

Let me know what you thought. I love hearing from you guys!