Who's Afraid of the Dark?

Prologue

Grey eyes scanned the office as a girl sat, rocking back and forth with a sick smile on her face. Her hair was wild and untamed as her wide eyes scanned every detail. The click of a lock caused her eyes to fly to the door and she started chuckling. “Visitors, visitors, we have visitors.” She watched as a small man with large glasses and a white coat stepped inside, his expression grim.

“Hello Charlotte.”

“We never get visitors.” She giggled. “Nobody likes us after what we did.” The man leaned forward, intrigued.

“What did you do Charlotte?” She shook her head, the smile never leaving her face.

“We can’t go telling strangers now can we?”

“Charlotte-”

“We don’t even know your name.” She interrupted, her smile falling as she started chewing one of her already bloody nubs of a fingernail. “What is your name?”

“I’m a friend of-”

TELL US YOUR NAME.” She growled, standing on the chair and growling at him like a feral animal. “Tell us or we’ll kill you!” The man looked to the two way mirror and sighed.

“My name is Dr. Nathan Greggs. I’m here to find out what happened to you.”

“What happened to us?” She asked, pointing to herself. “It’s the others you should be worried about.”

“Yes, what did happen to the others Charlotte?”

“Louis, Anise, Harry, Liam, Ember, Zayn, Sophie, Niall, Lottie, Nine go in, one comes out. Léim Uí Bhanáin. Leap of the O'Bannons.”

“Charlotte, what happened to the others?”

“Nine go in.”

“Charlotte, your brother is one of the people missing. Don’t you want to help your own brother?”

“One comes out.” She muttered, her eyes a million miles away. “Why us? Why did we come out? Why us? Why us?” Dr. Gregg sighed, rubbing his face and standing. He made his way to the door as Charlotte simply sat there, rocking back and forth and whispering to herself. “Louis, Anise, Harry, Liam, Ember, Zayn, Sophie, Niall, Lottie, Louis, Anise, Harry, Liam, Ember, Zayn, Sophie, Niall, Lottie. Nine go in, one comes out.”

Dr. Greggs simply shook his head, opening the door to a small room of ten men and women in white coats that matched his perfectly. One of the younger doctors, a handsome man with large green eyes looked to him. “Leap of the O’Bannons? What does that mean?”

“It’s the name of the castle where she and the others were last seen alive, also known as Leap Castle. It’s said to be the most haunted castle in all of Ireland.”

“Why would they go there?” A bearded brunette man asked.

“The nine of them took a dare from a local to spend the night inside and haven’t been seen since. Irish authorities picked up Charlotte, walking away from the castle completely alone. But when they went back checked the castle, and the other eight were gone. No bodies, no blood, no nothing. It’s like they simply vanished.”

“People don’t just… vanish Doctor. It’s impossible.” A raven haired man said.

“Well, apparently they do in Leap Castle. There have been cases like this before, where one victim was the only one that was ever found.”

“Did the other survivors… Were they like this too?” Dr. Gregg looked at the redheaded man looking at him.

“Until their dying days.”

“Jesus Christ.”

“I’m afraid he has no presence in that place.” Dr. Gregg muttered, grabbing his coffee and taking a long drink.

“And those names she keeps saying, are those the victims? The ones who are missing?” A blonde woman asked.

“Yes.”

“Did… did she even realize you were in there?” The young man asked, looking at the girl as she kept muttering.

“She knew I wasn’t someone she recognized, but she relapsed into some secure, mental state before I could get her to talk.” He sighed, running one of his hands through his thinning hair. “It’s going to be a long time before we can get her to tell us what happened. Maybe months.” Finally a brunette woman with her hair pulled into a tight bun couldn’t restrain herself anymore.

“Doctor, it’s been two weeks now. If there’s still any hope left for those other eight kids we’ve got to get her to talk.” She said. The doctor simply looked at her.

“And what do you suggest we do Dr. Bennet?”

“We can’t just give up! Let me talk to her-”

“Rachel.” Dr. Gregg said, raising one of his hands. “If we break her already fragile mind, those kids have no chance. She’s the only one who can help us find them. Now, do you have the file with the names again?” Dr. Bennett sighed before handing a thick manila folder to him. As he went to take it her hand held on tightly for a moment before finally releasing it to him.

“I hope your right about this.” He nodded.

“That makes two of us.” He said. He placed the file on a projection screen, opening it to the first page and exposing photos of eight young adults, all smiling happily. “Now, these are the missing victims.” He said. He pointed to the first girl on the page, a stunner with a broad smile. “Ember Anderson.” He moved to the next photo of a blonde boy with bright blue eyes. “Niall Horan.” Next came a stunning raven haired boy. “Zayn Malik.” Then a brown haired boy with plump lips and brown eyes. “Liam Payne.” After him was a green eyed boy with a mischievous smirk. “Harry Styles.” Then a gorgeous blond. “Sophie Thomas.” The doctor hesitated at the next one, a feathery haired boy with large blue eyes and a beaming smile. “Charlotte’s brother, Louis Tomlinson.” He quickly moved to the last photo, a brunette girl with large blue-grey eyes. “And Anise Williams.” He turned to the gathering of doctors before him. “I need you to memorize these faces and names.”

“Why?” The blonde asked timidly.

“Because these are the eight missing victims.” He said grimly. “And that girl,” He pointed to Charlotte as she continued rocking back and forth. “Is their only hope of being seen ever again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo! I hope everyone is ready to be terrified
because that's what's going to happen
prepare yourself.