iMate

Natalie McCartney

Natalie let out a long yawn as she sat in the shop. It was still completely empty since she hadn’t opened yet, but she was sort of regretting staying up so late with Zayn. She bit back a smile as she remembered the way his lips seemed to just melt into hers, like they were made to fit together. She remembered the way his hands had ran through her hair as her fingers tangled in his silky raven hair. She wanted to kiss him, have him hold her, play video games with him until the break of dawn. She still hadn’t given him an answer, but she wanted more than anything to just call him up and say “let’s do this.”

But there was a small voice in her head keeping her back. She had no idea what it was like dating a celebrity, but she could take quite a few guesses. She knew that every single thing she did, wore or said would be thrown into the spotlight, people would never stop judging her, and having her boyfriend be prettier than she was would probably be the butt of a load of bad jokes. She didn’t want Zayn to have to tell everyone why he was dating a girl who usually looked like a bloke, he didn’t deserve the tosser accusations.

She sighed, plopping down on the desk as she looked at the clock. It was time to open the store, so she’d think about it more on her way home. She shuffled over to the gate, throwing it up and pulling back the shades. But as she saw the sight before her her eyes grew huge.

There had to be at least a hundred people, half of them with cameras flashing at her, standing in front of the door. There were people with microphones and girls in One Direction shirts and all of them were yelling at her. She felt like her life had turned into some sort of zombie movie as she quickly closed the shades and pulled the gate back down. She then ran back from the door, her heart racing as she hid behind the counter, pulling out her phone and calling Zayn.

“Nat? How are you love?” He asked.

“Zayn.” She whimpered, peeking around the edge of the front desk. “Did you tell anyone about our date?”

“Just the lads, why?”

“Because there are about a hundred people outside of my shop right now-” She stopped as she heard them start banging on the door, hiding further under the desk. “They’re going to break the fucking door down Zayn!”

“Nat, listen to me, just stay calm alright?”

“What do they want Zayn? Is it because I slapped you?” She was beginning to panic as the voices got louder and the banging more constant. “I’m scared.”

“They’re just people Nat.” He promised. “Don’t worry, I’m going to tell you how to get out.”

“I can’t get out of here Zayn, we don’t have a back door!” She let out a shaky breath, feeling tears sting her eyes as the shouts got louder. “Please, just come get me.” She whimpered. There was a small moment of silence and Natalie was terrified Zayn had abandoned her, but finally he spoke.

“I’m on my way.”

“Thank you.”

“Just, don’t move alright? I’m going to try and get the other lads to distract them.” Natalie nodded before she realized Zayn couldn’t see her.

“Right.”

“I have to let you go now, but I’ll be there as soon as I can, I promise.” His voice almost instantly calmed her as she let out a shaky breath.

“Okay.”
Natalie sat huddled under the desk for what felt like days, but was only about an hour or so before she heard the first few screams. “Oh my god it’s Niall and Liam!!” That was followed by a chorus of girlish screams before there was a loud shuffling of feet that slowly got further and further away. Natalie slowly walked over to the door, pulling up the gate and waiting. When she heard the small, quiet knock she pulled back the shade to see Zayn.

She threw open the door and jumped into his arms, squeezing him tightly as he kissed the top of her head. “Are you alright?” He asked, looking at her. She nodded and he smiled, leaning down and pressing a soft kiss to her lips. But they were broken apart by a bright flash, and when they turned and saw a cameraman Zayn groaned. She quickly pulled the door shut and locked it before he took her hand as the rest of the pap descended on them. The pair took off, Zayn trying to get her to his car as fast as humanly possible.

Once they got to it he let out a sigh of relief, unlocking the car to let her in when he heard a small cry of pain. He spun around to see Natalie with tears in her eyes, holding onto the side of her head. He pulled her into his arms, looking past her to see a young girl.

She wasn’t a day over sixteen as she stood there, clad in a shirt with his face on it as she picked up another rock, tossing it at Natalie. Natalie felt Zayn tense as he gripped her and could practically hear his teeth grinding together. “GET THE BLOODY HELL AWAY FROM HER!” He screamed. The girl scurried off as Zayn put Natalie in the car before quickly climbing in and driving her home.

He just looked at her as he walked her up the steps to her apartment. She hadn’t let go of her head and he was slightly worried she might have a concussion, and she was trembling like a leaf. He was so used to seeing her be cocky and brave that having her this terrified, seriously terrified, was a bit unnerving. He just wrapped his arm around her as he walked her to her front door. But just as she was about to open it and step inside she stopped, turning to him.

“Thank you for coming and getting me.” She whispered.

“Of course love. I’m sorry that even happened, it had to be dreadful.” He went to tuck a piece of hair behind her ear but she stepped back, tears in her eyes.

“Zayn I… I can’t do this.” She said simply, looking at him. He saw tears welling up in her big brown eyes and wanted nothing more than to hold her.

“You can’t what?” She just slowly shook her head, biting her lip.

“I can’t be your girlfriend, I’m sorry.” He felt like someone had just punched him repeatedly in the stomach as he stood there, completely stunned. She couldn’t be saying this, she was his soul mate, she had to be with him.

“But why?” He managed to choke out. She just shook her head again, sending tears flying in every direction as she opened her door.

“I just can’t Zayn. I’m sorry.” And then with the click of the lock she was gone. Zayn just stood there for a moment before he felt a tear slip down his cheek. He quickly wiped it away, not wanting her to see him cry as he hurried down the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
NOO!
Why can't they just be happy?