Status: I hope this is sappy enough. c:

Amelia

I Think About You Every Single Day

Jenna’s POV

“Ms. McDougall. What’s the difference between Alzheimer’s and dementia?”

I face forward in my seat and furrowed my eyebrows up at my Year 10 Psych teacher. “Um….uh…I would say the spelling but I know that’s wrong…”

Laughter sounded throughout the room, one particular laugh echoing the loudest. I looked back and smiled at my best friend. She was always the loudest. Amelia was her name. Her laughter was my favorite sound in the world. It rang even when she was sad.

“No, Jenna. That’s incorrect,” Mr. Myles tutted at me.”Face forward in your seat.”

I smirked at him and slung my arm across the chair next to me. Myles figured it out long ago at the beginning of the year to split me and Amelia up, but it didn’t work. I would find ways to talk to her.

“I’m pretty sure Amelia knows, Sir.” I looked behind me and smiled at Amelia. She glared at me and looked up into Mr. Myles’ eyes.

Her reaction was the same as mine. “Erm. Dementia is…” I watched as she took out her phone under the table and googled it, replacing the silence with her ums. “Dementia is a symptom and Alzheimer’s is a cause of a symptom.” She smiled and nodded her head like she did well.

“Good job, Amelia. Remind me to thank Google later,” Mr. Myles joked. He walked over and took her phone out of her hand. The whole class laughed again. Amelia flipped me the finger and I stuck my tongue out at her. “Now let’s see if you can answer this next question, without using electronic devices.” Myles winked at me. Oh shit. “What is the difference between a bison and a buffalo?”

I raised an eyebrow. Just as I was about to yell at him for being off topic, the bell rang. I took my feet off my desk and grabbed my stuff. “I’d love to answer your question, Mr. Myles, but Amelia and I have a date with Jack Sparrow.”

I ran out of the classroom before I could get asked another stupid question, Amelia right behind me.

“If you don’t see it now, you’re bonkers,” Amelia poked at me.

“He WAS NOT flirting with me, Amelia.” I laughed.

“He totally was. Maybe you could put in some good words? I need a few As to get my grade up.” She winked at me. I slapped her arm.

“Oh shut up. Let’s go or we’ll be late.”

We walked out of the school into the brisk winter air. I had parked all the way at the end of the student parking lot, so we had to walk a little. “So how’s it going with Derek?” I asked Amelia. She had always been the beautiful, perfect one who got all the guys. When guys said the name Amelia, everyone knew who they were talking about. I was just Jenna.

“It’s going nowhere,” she responded with a roll of her eyes.

“Of course it is.” That was typical Amelia. She flipped her brown hair over her shoulder and strutted beside me.

“But it’s okay. Guess who asked me out last night.”

“Who?”

“Jackson Luck!”

“Oh. Cool.” I brushed my bangs out of my face and got out my keys from my satchel.

“Are you okay?” Amelia asked me.

“Oh. Ya. I’m fine.” I told her, a slight hint that I wasn’t okay.

Amelia grabbed my hand and stopped me from opening my car. “No you aren’t, you’re mad at me. Look I know you’ve like him for forever, but that’s why I said no. You know I’d never do that to you.” I looked up into my best friends blue eyes.

“You didn’t have to do that Amy.” I told her.

“Yes, I did. You’re my best friend. You come before anyone. You’re number 1 on my speed dial.”

I hung my head and smiled. “Thank you.”

She shrugged. “No problem. Make a promise with me, k?”

“Okay.”

“Promise me that we’ll never let a guy get in the way of our friendship.”

“That seems reasonable,” I joked. “Especially since I’m virtually undateable.”

Amelia smacked me upside the head. “Never talk bad about yourself ever again in front of me.”

“Geez, okay. I promise.” We crossed our hearts and promised each other.

We got into my beat-up station wagon and drove to the theatre across the highway. The newest Pirates of the Caribbean was playing and Johnny Depp was only Amelia and I’s favorite person in the world.

Those were the good days, you know? When there was nothing in the way of us and we were inseparable. But all good things have to come to an end, right?

That was the night I met Matt Best.
♠ ♠ ♠
Amelia~ Tonight Alive