Status: active

Easy to Fall in Love

i'm friendly and thoughtful and quite awfully pretty.

After fooling around for like an hour, we cooled off and just laid on his bed. I counted his breaths and thought about Nashville in what seemed like forever. Just yesterday a whole big thing erupted about it, but this was a different Nashville. This was before things were complicated. Justin and I were in the woods behind his house and we were just lying under the tree talking and it was so nice. Well actually, it was always complicated, but everything was right below the surface and nothing hurt yet. There was awkwardness to the conversation because we had feelings for each other and I was with Adam, but that day. I felt so alive. That was the night Nick came to Nashville and Justin and I declared our love in the river in the rain like a god damn romance novel. All in the moment it was so perfect. Then reality came. My head lay on his chest and his arm was wrapped around me, stroking my hand. I stared up at his ceiling and thought about how lucky I was. Even if those were magical moments, I didn’t have him, not fully. And I couldn’t fully give myself to him then either. But now I have an amazing guy, I get to travel the country, and I have so many incredible, new friends. I was so happy.

“Is it just me, or do you feel like we are like we’re in high school?” Justin suddenly asked me. I wondered what exactly he been thinking before. I wondered if he ever thought about Nashville.

“It’s not just you.” I’d been feeling like that a lot lately. I sat up and leaned over for a quick kiss. “I should go help out your mom.” I pushed myself off of his bed and straightened out my clothes. I still was in utter disbelief that it had been barely three days. It felt like a lifetime because so much had happened. It was a crazy roller coaster of emotion.

“It’s a little early, don’t you think?” He sat up. He glanced at his watch and frowned. His hair was mussed from my fingers continuously running through it and glassed sat on his nose slightly crooked. I wanted to kiss him really bad right now.

“Well she has to feed like a zillion boys, many of which who have huge appetites. She’s probably already started prepping and you’re going to leave me soon, so I might as well,” I shrugged. I walked into the kitchen and Justin followed close behind, catching my hand. My fingers were cold from the absence of his hand, but quickly warmed to his touch.

“Hey kids.” Justin’s mom looked up from her mixing bowl and smiled. “How’s your day been?” She darted from cabinet to cabinet, mixing and whisking. I looked at Justin, who was watching his mom. I loved how he lit up around her—it truly was the cutest thing.

“It’s been really good.” I answered. “We drove around, Justin showed me some of his favorite places, and we had a nice lunch with the boys. I met Jason, Justin’s friend.” I leaned against the counter.

“Oh, I love Jason! He’s such a sweetie. Actually, I ran into his mom at the store the other day and she told me how he’s manager now…” His mother carried on about Jason and his mom, and Justin nudged my side. I nudged him back and we both smiled at each other. “Anyway, I think it’s great how hard he’s worked to get there.” She paused and wrinkled her brow. “Justin, Hon, how many boys are coming?” I think the notion had just struck her that she’d be in charge of cooking for a small army.

“Well there’s going to be…hold on.” He thought for a minute and did the math in his head. “Including Jimmy and I, there’s 15. With Donia and you guys the total is 18. I think.” He put his hand to his chin, reviewing one more time, then nodded, sure of himself.

“Okay, well I’m going to run to the store real quick.” She removed her apron and folded it neatly, placing it on the counter. “Justin, go get Jimmy and start setting up the picnic tables outside. They’re in the garage. Donia, can you finish whipping this cream for me, and then start peeling the potatoes?” I nodded and she grabbed her purse from the kitchen table. “Thanks sweetie.” She patted me on the arm.

“Wait, where is Jimmy?” Justin looked around for his brother. We hadn’t seen much of him. He’d been at lunch, but we didn’t really talk and he didn’t come home with us. I didn’t even know he was home. I could tell by Justin’s confusion, he didn’t mean the question for just now. He’d been feeling Jimmy’s MIA status like me.

“Um, I think his room. He’s been ducking in and out all day.” His mom answered. She waved goodbye and headed out the door. Justin lingered in the kitchen and when he heard the door click shut, he dipped his finger in one of the bowls. I swatted his hand away and he frowned.

“You heard the woman, go!” I shooed him away from the kitchen and finished up her mixing. He returned with Jimmy moments later and again went for the bowl because I had set it aside. I threw a dishcloth at him and he stuck his tongue out at me. They went into the backyard and Justin turned and caught me looking at them. He waved and then made a silly face. I blew him a kiss and he smiled wide. Then Jimmy punched him on the shoulder, trying to get his attention. Through the window I watched him and his brother struggle with the tables and I laughed. When they finally got it together, they came inside. They collapsed at the table, exhausted. I shook my head and giggled. I continued to peel the potatoes and they started talking about something, I’m not sure what. I wasn’t listening, just humming.

“Oh, hey, do you want help with that?” Jimmy offered suddenly, like he’d gotten struck by lightning. He stood up, watching for a cue from me, but I waved him off.

“Oh. No. I’m okay. Thanks” I nodded and smiled. I was a little shocked to be honest. But I was happy. We were all getting along and we even felt a little like a family, all of us just sitting together.

“Wow Justin, you really need to step it up if I’m offering to help your girlfriend before you.” His brother teased him. Justin narrowed his eyes and wadded up a piece of paper to throw at Jimmy. Jimmy ducked and narrowly missed the ball.

“Yeah, you’re really losing your gentleman status, babe.” I joked. I shook my head and pretended to be disappointed in him. I loved busting his chops. He was so easy to kid, and I loved the adorable red blush he got when he was all embarrassed.

“Really? You think so?” He raised an eyebrow. The blush rose to his cheeks, and I could see his coming up with his next witty reply.

“Uh huh,” I nodded challenging him. He stood from his chair and walked towards me .I crossed my arms and he scooted up really close to me, until we were a breath away. I looked up at him and he smiled mischievously. He suddenly swept me in his arms and dipped me right in the middle of the kitchen. He pressed his lips to mine. I got lightheaded and dizzy in a very nice, bubbly way. He lifted his lips ever so slightly, and whispered into my mouth,

“How about now?”
♠ ♠ ♠
:')