A Dad is a Son's First Hero and a Daughter's First Love

Family Road Trip

Kate’s POV
“Ash sweetie you ok back there?” I asked checking on our son who was still getting used to his seat right in the back of the car.
“No,” he grumbled, “I hate it.”
“Don’t say hate sweetie, it’s not nice.”
“I don’t like it, why can’t twins sit here,” I could only just see his sad little face over the seats where the twins were.
“When they get bigger they can.”

He crossed his arms and mumbled something to himself before speaking up again, “how long to nan and pops?”
“Not for a long time yet,” there was no way we could take everything we needed for the twins on a plane so we had to borrow Sergei’s four wheel drive and rent a trailer to drive from Moscow to Magnitogorsk.

If we drove non stop it would take us a day but with the twins and Asher there was no way that would be possible.

Most of the day was taken up trying to get everything packed so we could get out of Moscow and by then Asher’s nagging and the twins crying had stopped and the car was filled with some much needed silence.

“They are asleep,” I whispered as I looked into the back of the car.
“Because daddy is best driver ever,” Evgeni smiled glancing over at me quickly.
“If you say so,” I rolled my eyes at him.
“I do say so,” he grabbed my hand and twisted the ring around my finger before placing a kiss to my knuckles, “I love you.”
“I love you too,” he still somehow managed to give me butterflies and make me blush with just his presence.

Evgeni’s POV
It was getting late and I was the only person still awake. Kate looked adorable as she was curled up with in the front seat leaning over the center console with her hood pulled over her head and her hands in my lap and the kids were all still sound asleep.

I decided it would be best to call it a night on the driving and found the nearest motel.

I locked the car and headed in to see if they had any rooms available; luckily for me there was a two bedroom place on the bottom story that was easy to get to without having to carry everything up stairs.

I opened the passenger door and lightly shook Kate.
“Babe,” I grabbed her and pulled her into my embrace, “wake up,” I pushed the hood off of her head.
“Mmm, what?” her eyes lazily opened.
“We stop at motel for night, come on,” I pulled her out of the car otherwise she would have stayed there.

“You get Ash, I get twins,” we grabbed the kids and the few things we would need for the night.

We weren’t able to get the folder bed out of the car for the twins so Kate wrapped up some blankets that they could be set in without fear of them falling out of the bed.

“Ash, go to sleep buddy,” Kate ran her hand over his little forehead as he continued to roll around in the large double bed as I fed the twins.
“Daddy read me story,” he sat up looking exhausted with his hair sticking up all over the place.
“Not now,” I wanted to but I was in the middle of Lacey’s bottle.
“Fine,” he sighed flopping back into the bed pulling the covers over his head.

“Ash come on,” Kate rubbed his back as she eyed me.
“No,” he began to cry, “I want a story,” he sobbed.
“Ash I am busy, wait.”

By the time I had finished feeding Lacey and put her down to sleep next to her brother I went to put my attention of Ash.
“Hey buddy,” I shook him lightly.
“Go away,” he mumbled scrunching his eyes closed.
“Ash I can read for you now.”
“No I don’t want you to,” he rolled over burying his face into the pillows.
“Oh Ash,” I sighed rubbing his back, “Goodnight, I love you buddy,” I kissed the back of his head before retreating back into the bedroom where Kate was already comfortable in amongst the covers.

She pulled back the covers for me to climb in next to her and pulled my head into her chest, “he will come around,” she ran her hands through my hair.
“I hope so,” I mumbled trying not to let it all bother me too much.

I couldn’t help but feel guilty about not reading him a book so I headed out of the room to get him.
“Daddy,” his little eyes opened as I picked up.
“Shhh buddy, go back to sleep,” I tucked his head into my neck and carried him into our room.

I climbed back into bed where Kate sat waiting for my return with a smile on her face.
Asher’s turned his head and looked at his mummy, reaching his tiny hand out for her, “go to sleep baby boy,” she kissed his forehead.

He sighed relaxing his head on my shoulder and into the crook of my neck. It felt good having this moment with him like I always used to when he was little, just us.

I was really hoping he would become a lot more cooperative with us and the twins soon. He went from being an only child to having two siblings and while at the start he was all for helping and being with them now he was starting to pull away. I was just hoping I could catch him before he was gone.