Off to Hell We Go

The Dark Carnival

After a busy morning at the diner, I sit down at a table to get some lunch. It’s fairly slow at this point which I’m thankful for see as though I’m the only waitress working this afternoon and into the night. Just as I’m about to bite into my BLT, a man walks into the diner. A groan escapes my lips as I put down my sandwich and head over to his table with my pen and table in hand. “Thank you for coming to Paradise Lost Diner, what can I get for you today?” I ask, my voice evident of fake sweetness.

“Just a coffee for now.” He smiles before looking at the menu that was previously on the table. I just stare at him and his brown eyes. He was fairly young, maybe no older than myself; but there was something dark and creepy about him which caught my attention. I feel my body shudder a bit as I go and get him a coffee mug and brew a fresh pot of coffee..

“Coffee, will be awhile.” I inform him. “Are you ready to order as you wait?”

“What do you recommend?” He asks, smiling up at me. He may have this dark vibe about him, but he’s kind of attractive; especially with his thousand watt smile.

“BLTs are pretty good here.” I reply. “Our cook knows how to make bacon so that it’s at the perfect crisp level.”

“I’ll have that with a side order of fries.” He says as he hands me his menu. “And your would be?”

“Dillon.” I reply with a smile before walking away to fill his order and hopefully get a bite or two of my own lunch.

**

A couple minutes later, the lunch rush started coming in. I was too busy working to see the mysterious guy leave. But when I walk over to his table, to clean up I notice what he leaves me for a tip. At first I frown at not getting a money tip but I open the envelope he did leave. I pull out what looks like a ticket; a ticket that has my name on it. A chuckle escapes my lips as I read the bold wording on it.

“The Dark Carnival, huh?” I chuckle. “Where your wildest dreams come true; as if.” I mutter as I slip the ticket into my apron and continue clearing off the table. While I continue to work, my mind keeps going back to the ticket that’s in my pocket. As much as my mind is telling me to just throw the ticket away, something keeps telling me to go; that it’ll be fun. And after working a double, I need some fun…
♠ ♠ ♠
Dillon

comment&subscribe?