Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

29

Isaac had only waited long enough for authorities to arrive on the scene of the hidden police car before taking off again, more determined now than before that he was on the right track to finding his brother.
He lost count of the hours as he drove, contemplating for barely a moment as to whether or not pull over and get some rest before berating himself and forcing thoughts of Zac in the hospital to keep his motivation pumping.
“Calling Isaac Hanson, are you out there son?” came a sudden crackle through the radio.
Isaac checked his mirrors for a moment as he was in a small town, before slowing down and picking up the hand piece.
“Yes sir, this is Isaac.”
“Where are you now?”
“Still heading north on the highway of the rendezvous.”
“I’d advise you to head back as soon as possible.”
Isaac frowned at that.
“Am I in trouble or something?” was his first conclusion.
“Not at all. We received a tip from a young lady on where your brother was.”
“Was?!”
“Bernard Holmes has taken him to the border. Now that we know where he is you may as well turn around…”
“But I’m almost at the border!” Isaac exclaimed, “You can’t expect me to turn back now!”
“Isaac let us handle this, please. Bernard Holmes is armed and-“
Isaac leant down and turned the radio off.

*

Taylor cursed the fact that the central locking was on the driver’s door.
“Well?” Bernard demanded.
Taylor quickly looked around. If he made it into the back seat, Bernard wouldn’t be able to reach him. He knew he had no chance of getting out of the car until Bernard slipped up somehow.
“Don’t get any ideas, kid,” the man grunted, before Taylor grabbed for the lever to send the back of the seat down.
It fell, and he immediately scrambled back behind the driver’s seat. Bernard instinctively reached out to grab his leg, but just missed.
He immediately pulled the car over. Taylor’s breathing became heavier, even as he told himself that this was what he wanted. Bernard leant over to snatch up the cuffs that Taylor had dropped, before formally parking the car and kneeling up on his seat.
“You know,” he began callously as he worked his way over to the passenger side, “I don’t think you’ve quite learned your lesson yet.”
As soon as Bernard had moved far enough, Taylor’s left hand darted forward and fiddled for a moment before managing to hit the central locking button. By the time Bernard realized what had happened, Taylor had used his other to open the door and he was out.
Bernard grunted and opened the passenger door to get out as well.
“Where do you think you’re going to go?!” he called after Taylor who’d rushed up the bank and was heading for the thrush, “you’re miles from the nearest roadhouse. And who knows where those trees end.”
Taylor stopped himself before the tree line. The man was right. So now what?