Status: Finished, but beware - the sequel is three times in length :)

Going Bush

05

“What was that?” Zac stopped and looked over his shoulder.
Isaac stopped to listen.
“I can’t hear anything.”
Zac put his hand up, and took a few steps to the side, listening intently.
With a sigh, he shook his head.
“I could have sworn I’d heard something.”
“What direction?”
Zac pointed off to the side. Isaac nodded.
“Well, we could head that way. I don’t think he would have come this far.”
“Nah,” Zac shook his head, “but it beats me how we’ve lost him.”
“He’s probably back at the camp waiting for us,” Isaac grinned.
Zac raised his eyebrows.
“Yeah… typical.”

*

The three soon lost track of time as they paced through the bush, but eventually came across a farm. Nate went ahead to see the land structure, soon returning with the information.
“Ok, we’re at the North end of a huge wheat field. There’s a small barn to the left, and the farmhouse is a few miles that way,” he pointed.
The other man – who still had hold of Taylor’s arms – nodded his approval.
“Looks like we have a place to spend the night then, don’t we?” he smiled, directing the statement at their prisoner.
Nate grabbed the bag again, and began to lead the two down a slope and toward the small barn. They soon found it, and Nate broke the door open. The barn smelled of horses, but there were none there. Obviously either at the farmhouse itself, or recently having been transported out.
Once inside, the larger captor threw Taylor down into a corner, and began to look through what supplies were available to them. Taylor groaned as he sat back against a wall, having hit his head on the way down.
“Close the door,” the man ordered.
Nate did so, flipping a large bolt into place so it couldn’t be opened from the outside.
“If I remember right, there should be a town a few miles away from here. The other side of the farmhouse,” he offered, rubbing his hands together to keep them warm.
“Then you should probably go and find out, shouldn’t you?”
When Taylor opened his eyes again, he saw the other man handing Nate a large knife.
“Just find us some food and supplies. Cash and clothes if you can manage it.”
Nate saluted.
“You’re talking to an expert in that field, as you know,” he smiled.
He headed for the door, glanced at Taylor as he unbolted it, then slid through. The other man bolted it shut behind him, then went back to the small counter where a number of tools lay openly. Taylor watched him silently, panting slightly.
“This is only a temporary arrangement,” Taylor jumped as the man spoke.
He turned to him.
“We shall only need you as leverage. Then, depending on your behaviour until such a time, you will either be released or killed. The second seems more likely. It’s nothing personal.”