‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

128

“What?!”
“You guys need to get back to the station. Now.”
“We can’t!” Isaac exclaimed, “Nate has Zac!”
There was silence on the other end as Carlson comprehended what he’d said.
“How?” he asked finally.
“After we found Nate’s truck we went down to the next gas station to see if they’d seen anything,” Isaac explained, “Zac went in by himself, and Nate was there.”
“Did you see where they went?”
“Um. Yeah,” Isaac admitted, “I’m actually on the phone to Zac right now. I followed them.”
“You… how? What have you done?”
“Zac’s got his phone going in his pocket, I can hear everything that’s going on,” Isaac kept watch out the window, “I’ve followed them as far as I think I can go without getting caught. But Nate is really pissed off that Taylor isn’t there. I can’t leave Zac.”
“Understandable. Can you text me your location?”
“Will do,” Isaac promised.
“And stay put. We don’t need to lose you too,” Carlson ordered before hanging up.
Isaac just rolled his eyes before beginning the text message.

*

Carlson entered the interrogation room as he hung up, jolting Taylor awake.
“Taylor?”
“Yeah?” he rubbed his eyes.
“Glad to finally meet you. Name’s Carlson,” he held out his hand, “I’ve been working closely with your brothers.”
“Where are they?” Taylor frowned as he shook the man’s hand.
“I just got off the phone with Isaac. We have a bit of a situation.”
Taylor flinched, pulling his hand back.
“What is it?” he was instantly worried.
“Nate has Zac.”
Taylor shot to his feet, ignoring the dizzy spell that threatened to make him fall over.
“How?” he barely breathed, eyes wide.
“They found Nate’s abandoned truck – the one he took you to the hospital in,” Carlson explained, “they pulled into a gas station down the road and he was there.”
Taylor looked away and shook his head.
“Isaac followed them back to wherever he’s taken him. We’ll have patrol cars in the vicinity in minutes.”
“No,” Taylor’s head still shook, “it won’t do any good. He doesn’t want Zac, he wants me.”
“If it comes to a hostage situation, we’re well equipped to handle-“
“No you don’t understand!” Taylor was getting riled up, “this is all to get to me! Nate has gone completely insane! If he doesn’t at least think he’s somehow going to get me back, he will kill Zac!”
Carlson hesitated, the moment of silence signalling time for his phone to vibrate with Isaac’s message.
“That’ll be Isaac giving me directions,” he explained when Taylor’s eyes went to it.
“Then I’m coming with you,” Taylor said decidedly.