‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

129

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Carlson tried to talk Taylor down.
“I don’t care what you think,” Taylor hit back, “they were out there because of me. If anything happens to Zac-“
“You really are related, aren’t you?” Carlson frowned suddenly.
“What?” Taylor was caught off guard.
“Fine,” Carlson clenched his teeth, “but you stay out of the way. Stay with Isaac.”
“I can’t promise anything,” Taylor shook his head.
“And at least let us get that chain off you,” Carlson gave the officer in the room a pointed look.
“We have some bolt cutters out the back,” he offered, before leaving the room.
Taylor grabbed it subconsciously. He couldn’t help but wonder how soon another one would replace it.
The officer soon returned and cut the chain three links before the collar, not wanting to get too close to Taylor’s neck. It was evident that the collar wasn’t coming off. Once it was cut Taylor pulled the rest of it from his pocket and set the chain on the desk in the room.
“So let’s go,” he looked to Carlson.
Carlson gave the officer a pointed glance before leading Taylor from the room. He collected his team and gave them all directions before his along with two SWAT vans and two Mexican patrol cars began to make their way out.

*

It was maybe half an hour until the man in the trailer came to. As Nate called his name when he awoke, Zac finally found out that it was Trent.
“What happened?” Trent groaned as he rubbed his face when he sat up.
“What happened? What happened?!” Nate’s voice rose.
He stood from where he’d been sitting at the other end and walked around to Trent’s side. He grabbed him by the jacket and punched him across the face.
“You let him escape!”
“I did?” Trent was obviously still dazed, but not enough to not fight back.
There was a struggle and eventually Trent managed to throw Nate off of him.
“What did you do?!” Nate demanded.
Trent rubbed his forehead as he struggled to remember.
“I must have fallen asleep,” he realised.
“Asleep,” Nate scorned.
It was about then that Trent spotted Zac for the first time.
“Who the Hell is that?!” he demanded, pointing at him.
“His brother,” Nate suddenly looked confused, “what, you never met Zac?”
“His brother?” Trent looked worried.
He started shaking his head, then grabbed a nearby jacket and headed for the door.
“This is getting too much for me. I’m out of here,” he announced.
“He took your car!” Nate scorned, following him out.
Zac heard them yelling at each other outside, and his eyes immediately fell on the knife again. He didn’t like his chances of getting to it before one or both returned to the trailer, but with nothing else to try he managed to twist himself enough that he fell to his knees on the floor. Thinking better of getting to the other end, he inched toward the drawers instead and opened one with his teeth.