‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

137

“Before he knew what was happening?” Isaac frowned.
“Yes,” a look of realisation crossed Zac’s face, “he got into an argument with Nate. He thought Nate had gone too far and he wanted out.”
“What do you mean?” Taylor frowned.
“Trent was going off about how he thought Nate needed help, like he’d gone mental,” Zac remembered, “Nate said that he didn’t need help, he just needed you back.”
“I said something similar,” Taylor admitted as he looked up at Carlson, “before he took me to the hospital. I tried to convince him he needed help.”
“That obviously went down well,” Isaac scratched his head.
“I thought it was,” Taylor looked to Zac, “I thought I almost got to him. But then when I escaped he must have lost it again.”
“He was definitely not right in the head,” Zac agreed.
“We’re beginning to realise that,” Carlson admitted, “once he’s transferred back to Oklahoma we’ll be getting a psych evaluation done.”
The three brothers were immediately on guard.
“They’re taking him back?” Isaac broke the silence.
“Why?” Taylor frowned, “why not just ship him off to a high grade facility in Washington or something?”
“The charges need to be confirmed,” Carlson tried to explain, making Zac rolls his eyes, “and at the moment he’s in no condition to be moved regardless. I don’t doubt that once his condition improves they will have had enough time to decide that he needs to go straight to Oklahoma State or even ADMAX. He’ll be going away for a long time.”
Taylor put his head in his hand as Isaac shook his.
“Where are they holding him now?” Isaac demanded.
“He’s in a secure part of the hospital. Don’t worry, he’s not going anywhere.”
“Pretty sure they would have thought that when he was on death row,” Zac’s voice dripped with sarcasm.
“Technically he still is on death row,” Carlson amended, “until these charges are finalised.”
“Is he going to end up a political prisoner?” Taylor’s eyes looked up.
“That depends on the Feds and how tight their operation is,” Carlson reasoned, “but he’s going to have to answer for the slavery charges just like everyone else picked up at the base.”
“What about the house in Tampico?” Isaac asked, “what about the people there?”
“We need to tread carefully with this one, because while our involvement stems purely through Taylor being an American held against his will on International soil, their laws here are still different to ours,” Carlson explained.
“Did you pick up some guys named Carlos and Juan?” Taylor looked up suddenly.
“I couldn’t be sure, there were a lot of people there,” Carlson shook his head, “why?”
“Who are they?” Isaac asked.
“They were… um,” Taylor stopped to think, “the main instigators, I guess. These…”
He patted his back.
“They’re from Carlos.”
“I can check for you,” Carlson offered.
When Taylor nodded gratefully, Isaac and Carlson finally left the room.