‹ Prequel: Going Bush

Going Bush 2: Suburbia

140 - Epilogue

“Come on Tay,” Isaac ducked his head into the dressing room, “you don’t want to be late for the very first gig.”
“I’ll be right there,” Taylor smirked, quickly finishing up his conversation with their tour manager.
He was about to walk away when another crew member ran up to him.
“Tay? There’s someone at the back door for you. Says it’s important.”
“I’m going to be late for the meet and greet,” he shook his head, “sorry.”
“She said you’d be expecting her?”
Taylor paused, a confused frown on his face.
“I’m not expecting anyone. Have her check in with security and I’ll see what I can do after.”
The crew member took off and he headed out to his first meet and greet of the new tour. It had taken him a bit to get used to the crowds again, but after a few small practise runs he soon felt more at home than ever. After the meeting, the same crew member was waiting for him.
“She’s being rather insistent,” she looked a little worried.
“Don’t worry, I’ll deal with it,” Taylor gave her a pat on the shoulder before taking her lead and following her to a back room.
He stepped inside to see the back of a woman’s head as she sat in the middle of the room, one of the venue’s security guards standing beside her. When she turned to face him, he froze.
“Leave us,” he ordered the security guard.
The man nodded and left the room. Taylor closed the door behind him.
“What are you doing here?” he asked as she stood.
“I came to see you,” she replied simply, “I came to see how you were doing.”
Taylor gave her an incredulous look.
“Why?” he shook his head, perplexed.
“Come and sit down,” she instructed, indicating two chairs close together.
Taylor looked back at the door, but complied. She took a moment to gather herself.
“I don’t blame you for what happened,” she began solidly, “I know you were only doing what you thought was right. And you were after any opportunity to get home to your family.”
“I didn’t have anything to do with the raid,” Taylor frowned, cutting off as she held up her hand.
“My family has owned slaves for centuries,” she ignored his statement, “Ibby for example has been with us since I was a little girl. If I were Gabriela, he would have been my Taylor, if you will.”
She smiled a little, but despite wanting to know if Ibby was okay Taylor didn’t bother opening his mouth again.
“What I mean to say is that I know no different. While I’m not looking for you to excuse me for being a part of your… experience, I hope that you would understand that for some it is simply a way of life.”
Taylor’s eyes lowered as he tried to work out if she was apologising, and what exactly for.
“The people we introduce to our way of life are generally people who are looking for a new lease on life. We strive to give them a purpose again. They aren’t supposed to have lives worth saving.”
“But can’t you see that life itself is worth saving?” Taylor couldn’t hold himself back any longer, “what gives you people the right to decide who has a life worth living? How do you even measure worth?”
The woman was giving him a stern look and he had to forcefully stop himself thinking that Carlos would suddenly storm into the room. She must have noticed the look in his eyes, because the look on her own face softened.
“I’m sorry for the way I had you treated,” she said softly.
Taylor was slightly taken aback and wasn’t sure of how to respond to that. He diverted his eyes.
“And I’m sorry for having you beaten. I ordered Carlos and Juan to attack you.”
“I know,” Taylor looked up suddenly.
“You knew?” she frowned, confused.
“I figured it out when the rebels came,” Taylor nodded, “you tried to instil in me that they hated me because of my skin colour and that they’d kill me for nothing more. But Juan had the perfect opportunity to take me out and he didn’t.”
He shook his head.
“I didn’t know why you would do that, at the time, but I did work it out.”
“It was a part of the induction,” she revealed, “in order to enhance what they call the Stockholm Syndrome, you need to create a hazardous environment in which your slave will see you as their saviour. I needed you to see me as someone you could turn to at a time like that.”
Taylor’s face flushed red, knowing it would have easily worked. The control she’d had over him only now beginning to become apparent.
He jumped as there was a knock on the door and the crew member poked her head in.
“Half an hour Tay,” he informed him.
“Go,” the woman nodded, “I don’t want to keep you from your duties.”
Taylor blanched at her choice of words, before standing and making to leave the room. At the door he stopped, turning back.
“Will you stay?” he asked, his voice slightly timid.
“Would you like me to stay?” she asked, not bothering to stand herself.
Taylor hesitated, but nodded.
“Then I’ll stay,” she smiled, “but only until the end.”
“Thanks,” Taylor replied.
He stopped to stare at her for a moment longer, before disappearing down the hall.
He didn’t bother to inform his brothers of the special guest at their first concert back.