Monster

Emergency Shutdown

Alarms ring out, the overhead lights going out and the emergency lights flashing red as the underground lab goes into a forced shutdown. The scientists and assistants who made it out of the building run without looking back; more concerned with their own fate than that of those trapped inside the building.

Inside, there is chaos. Papers and files litter the floor and people in lab coats run in all directions, pleading for mercy from the remaining subjects. Pleading for the same mercy they denied others. Some back into corners, some try to hide, and some choose to give up entirely.

It is over in less than ten minutes, though the lights continue to flash and the alarms still shriek. At least twenty bodies are strewn about the hallways, all those of people who worked in the lab and who were unable to escape. Only two lab employees remain alive.

In one of the lab cells, where a blackened corpse lays, a woman in a lab coat trembles in the corner. Her eyes are trained on a tall man in front of her, the purple color of his eyes increasing her fear. The man slowly backs out the door, steps to the viewing window and presses the button next to it. The door to the lab cell shuts with a sound like a gunshot and the man's eyes narrow as he focuses on the woman once more.

"Please... I'm sorry. We never meant to hurt you or treat you this way!" The woman cries, her voice wavering with fear.

"What's my name?"

"W-what?" The woman asks, startled by the question.

"My name. What is it? You say you never meant to treat me, or rather us, this way so prove it. Tell me what my name is." He says coldly, hand hovering over a set of buttons on the window frame.

"No! No please!" She runs to the window, nearly tripping over the body in the center of the room. "Please... Subject 43."

"That's not my name." With that comment, he presses a button on the panel and the room is engulfed in flames. Subject 43 walks away without a backward glance, heading further down the hall to join the others.

He passes another man with hair shorn close to his skull who looks at the blood spattering his clothes with disgust. The other man shakes his head, wiping his hands on a wadded up lab coat before helping another with an oxygen mask like apparatus held to face. Subject 43 gives them a nod, recognizing the red eyed man, and the gray eyed man holding the mask. He walks further down the hallway, the two others following at a slower pace, until he reaches an open area at the end.

The three men pause at the edge, listening intently.

"Where is Subject Zero." It is not a question, but rather a demand.

"I don't know what you're talking about!"

"I know you're lying. Now tell me where she is and maybe we'll let you live."

The figure on the floor remains quiet and, in the dim lighting, pulls out a scalpel. He scrambles up from the floor, brandishing it wildly at the other two figures in the area.

"Stay away from me you freaks." He shouts, eyes firmly on the man in front of him "I knew we should've gotten rid of you first, Subject 325."

A low sigh is heard and a figure with orange eyes steps forward, speaking in a low tone.

"Stop moving." The man with the scalpel complies, eyes glazing over within seconds. "You've done horrible things; you've killed millions of innocent people for your own gain. You can't bear the knowledge of what you've done. You know what to do."

The man with the orange eyes walks away as the figure behind him falls to the floor. He joins the three at the edge of the area without a word, waiting until Subject 325 emerges with a keycard in hand. They walk as group back the way they came, knowing their work is far from over.

They will find Subject Zero, they will find the others, and they will have their revenge.