Sequel: We All Roll Along
Status: Completed!

We Only Breathe For So Long

I’ve Missed You Terribly

When I finally opened my eyes, darkness was still controlling the sky. The sun was making its way out of the clouds. It was sunrise and it was beautiful. I slowly stood up from John’s lap. He was still fast asleep and his face was just as beautiful as the sunrise itself. He looked so peaceful. I couldn’t bear the thought to disturb his sleep so I descended the hill. I knocked on the bus’ door and Pat opened it a minute later, half asleep. I grabbed my bag and kissed him on the cheek before I made my way back home.

I opened my bedroom door and crawled my way into bed but before I managed to do so, I noticed a huge box sitting next to the door. I was too exhausted to check it out or even bother to care about it so I continued to crawl into bed. I blanked out after a few heartbeats.

I only managed to open my eyes when it was afternoon already. I woke up during lunchtime and the family was out for lunch (as the note that they left told me). My brain suddenly reminded me of my plans with Eric tonight. I had planned to go to his house so we could hang out with Greg and Jane while watching a soccer match and munching a few snacks. I still had the entire afternoon for myself and I had no clue of what to do. A sense of boredom kicked in followed by the thought of my Dad. I went to the bathroom, brushed my teeth, took a quick shower, got into my pajamas and switched on my computer to Skype my Dad. There were a few unsuccessful calls, as he didn’t accept the video chat. On my third attempt, my laptop’s screen was replaced with his face.

“Hey Dad!” I said enthusiastically, a huge smile on my face.

“Oh Kylie, I’m missing you so much!” His voice was so comforting.

“Me too Dad,” I said. “How are things going over there?”

“Everything is well. I’m still working at the office now and then, I’m mostly working at sites now though.”

My Dad was an architect so he got to travel a lot. He wasn’t much of an absent father but he wasn’t always around either. Either way, I loved him unconditionally.

“That’s great! You finally managed to get rid of office hours,” I laughed.

“That’s right, I promoted Jack. He’s managing the office now.”

Jack was the son of my Dad’s best friend, Anthony. He was three years older than me and he was an extremely intelligent man. He finished his studies when he was 16 and since then he’s been working to many important businesses. He’s been working for my dad for the past four years. He was only 25 and he was nearly a millionaire. He worked hard and he was super dedicated. I’ve never met somebody as focused as Jack.

“He must deserve it, he’s always working and so focused on the job. Jack never changes uh?” I asked.

My Dad chuckled. “He has changed a bit. He grew up to be an exceptional man. He bought a house near us. In fact, he’s our new neighbor,” said Dad, completely enthusiastic. “After that, Anthony decided to move to our neighborhood too. He lives down the street!”

“Wow, that’s so awesome! You guys were inseparable when he lived far, I cannot bear to imagine now,” I said as I covered my face with my hands in a jokingly way.

“You betcha’!” he grinned. “He divorced Erika, now he’s living alone while she’s living in their old home. Kylie, he’s never been this happy! If I’m not at his house, he’s at ours. It never gets old!” he laughed, his eyes were sweet and his smile was tender.

It’s wonderful to know that my Dad is happy even after my mom exited our lives. Dealing with her death issues would be much tougher if he hadn’t move on and found a new path of happiness. And thanks to Anthony, he has found one. I totally got to call him one day and thank him for that myself.

“If that makes him happy then it’s a great thing. I just hope Anthony isn’t replacing me because it sure sounds like it!” I smirked.

“Nobody would ever be able to replace you, my dear! I wished you weren’t so far away. Any plans on visiting any soon? And how are things going there?” he asked.

“I wished so too, Dad. I want to go there for the holidays, once I’m finished with my first year in university. But everything’s great! I really like it here. I made many friends and I even got a job at a bookshop downtown. Uncle Ronnie and his family are amazing towards me. Their house is spectacular! It’s enormous and it’s very well furnished. I’m loving the studies although I work more than I actually go to university,” I giggled.

As I finished speaking, I noticed the box once again.

“Um, Dad… did you mail me a box or something? I received this package and I thought you sent it to me with things I’ve forgotten there or something.”

He looked confused. “Nope, I didn’t send you anything.”

“Oh, all right. It’s probably something from university then. Forget about it! I completely miss you. Won’t you be traveling down here anytime soon?” I pouted.

“I miss you even more, pumpkin. And I’m afraid not. I’ve been going around the States a lot right now, I haven’t gone overseas,” he said with disappointed eyes, “I have to go now honey, I need to head to the airport and fly off to Dallas. Come in! I’m just skyping Kylie, Jack. I’ll be there in a minute. Sorry dear that was Jack ringing the doorbell. He’s coming along with me.

I heard a voice on the background and the next thing I could see was Jack’s face all over the screen. Wow, he had changed. His blonde hair was grown up to his shoulders. It was perfectly straight and his hazel eyes smoothed his face. His hair hid his harsh jaw line a little and his lips were curved, generating a smile.

“Hi there, Kylie.” His smooth voice echoed through the computer.

“Hey Jack! How you doing?” I asked politely with a smile.

“I’m great. Just missing you around, I hope everything’s all right over there and you’re having a very good time!” he grinned.

“Yeah, everything’s great. This place is really amazing! Congrats on your promotion,” I hugged the screen as a sign of affection. He did the same.

“Virtual hugs… better than nothing right?” he laughed. “I’ve been there a couple of times, it really is amazing. You can never get used to the weather though!”

He reminded me of John when he said that. John had said the very same thing yesterday after I entered his truck. I started wondering what he was doing right now. Whatever he was doing, I felt the urge to be doing it with him. As long as I got to look at those laser green eyes and be so close to him that I’d be able to smell his perfume in full detail.

“You eventually do, I’d rather be there though. I miss the intense heat! But the cold is nice, sometimes.”

“We got to go. It was great hearing from you though. Not like I haven’t been hearing from you, your dad talks about you all the time,” he laughed, “stay pretty!” said Jack as he winked to the camera with his charming smile.

“Same to you!” I told him. “I LOVE YOU DAD!” I shouted as loud as I could so my dad would hear me and he did.

“He said ‘I love you too’. Bye!” said Jack, while ending the call.

“Bye,” I said, too late for them to hear it.

I switched off the computer and I remained sited, staring at empty air. Reality hit me hard and I realized how much I truly missed my Dad. I missed every single little thing about him, especially our old tradition to watch an ice hockey match together every weekend.

I looked up at the computer and the screen was showing the box’s reflection. I turned around, stood up and started walking towards the box. My name was written on it in a neat, bold handwriting. Before I even got the chance to start opening it, the clock came into sight and it was 17:30 already. I had half an hour to get ready. Crap! I ran to my closet without thinking twice and wore the first thing that my hand fell upon. I wore jeans, a jacket and boots. I quickly made my way into the bathroom and but my hair up in a pony. By the time I was done spraying my perfume all over and finding my bag, I had no time to apply makeup. I rushed out of the front doors and walked towards Eric’s house.
♠ ♠ ♠
What is in that box? :O COMMEEEEENT!
Let me know your thoughts, don't be a silent reader. <3