Sequel: We All Roll Along
Status: Completed!

We Only Breathe For So Long

Calls and Speed Dials

“It feels like we’ve never sat down and had a meal as a family, that’s how long we haven’t done it!” said Angela. She was bringing a plate filled with bacon to the breakfast table.

“I know, I’m sorry about that. I’m the one who’s always missing,” I said while pouring some orange juice for me.

“I guess it’s not a problem, I’m sure you’re very busy between working hours and studying but we need to follow our rule and at least have a dinner together once a week. Everybody understood?” she asked us all.

We all shook our heads in comprehension and began to eat. Ronnie was running late and he was my ride so we both ate as fast as eagles. On my way out, I kissed both Angela and Sophie on the cheek and grabbed my bag. I sat beside Uncle Ronnie in the passenger’s seat. The engine came to life and he switched on the stereo. It was approximately a ten minute drive from home to the bookshop. The first couple of minutes, silence was the only thing moving in the car besides the air-con.

“Even though Angela exaggerates sometimes with this whole dinner rule, she has a pretty good point. I haven’t heard of you in ages, Kylie. How’s everything going?” asked Ronnie.

“Mothers tend to be right,” I chuckled. “Um, everything is fine. Work is good. If you mean what I’ve been doing lately it’s mostly work, studies and hanging out with my co-workers. They’re really nice people.” I emphasized the last sentence because I wanted to reassure him that I wasn’t hanging out with criminals of some sort.

“Oh, okay. That’s good. I guess that’s what young adults do nowadays uh?” he laughed.

“I guess! What did you do in your days?”

“Nothing reckless, just play in the streets with my best buddies and soccer in the rain. It was fun but very naïve. We didn’t get a chance to experience the world too much back then so most of us went through a lot of bad experiences. That’s my generation,” he gave me a half smile and shredded his shoulders.

“That doesn’t sound like a bad thing really. If it weren’t that way, your generation wouldn’t have been so wise,” I pointed.

“Good one kiddo,” he said. “Well, here you are. Have a good day at work. Do you need a ride back?”

I unclicked my seatbelt and grabbed my bag. “Oh, you don’t have to, I’ll take the bus. Thanks for the ride!”

He gave me a fatherly smile and kissed me on the forehead before I exited the car.

I didn’t like working on Sundays. The bookshop wasn’t so busy and only one or two people showed up to actually buy something. Others just sat and read for a little while before making their way out through the front doors. Besides that, Sundays sucked because Eric and Greg had the day off and I was the only employer that worked in the bookshop. Not even Jessica shows up. This place becomes as quiet as a library and the silence is excruciating. Since there are no customers to help or nothing possibly entertaining, I decided to organize some shelves since people always mess it up when they check books out. After a good half an hour organizing the history section, a girl showed up. For my relief, she looked like she could use some guidance. I stopped the librarian work and walked towards her, she was looking around and I couldn’t see her face.

“Hi, would you like some help?” I asked politely with a smile.

She turned around. She had straight auburn red hair up to her shoulders and freckles all over her cheekbones and nose. She wore a floral dress with cute sandals. A nerdy type of glasses was framing her eyes. I smelled her perfume from meters away.

“Yes! That would be great,” she said. “I’m actually looking for a job and I’ve been looking for one this whole morning with no luck. I was really hoping that this would be my lucky place. Are there any chances you have a spot for one more employer?” she asked with a sweet smile.

“Um, I don’t know. I actually don’t own the bookshop and my manager isn’t here today. But I’ll tell you this, the minute I see her I’ll tell her about you. I could give you a call or something after I speak to her?”

She took out a notepad and pen out of her gigantic purse and jotted down her cellphone number in a very untidy handwriting. “Oh my, that would be great! Here’s my number.”

She handed the piece of paper to me and I took it. Her name was Lisa Anderson. Her name didn’t match her face. She was such a cute looking girl. I expected her name to be Carly Collins or something. Not such an adult name. I chuckled at my own thoughts.

“All right then, I’ll give you a call as soon as I get the chance to talk to her.”

She sighed with relief and gently hugged me. “Thank you!”

After our short encounter, Lisa walked out of the bookshop with nothing but hope in her eyes. I really hoped Jessica would show up and that she’d give a chance to this poor girl. I wouldn’t want to be the one to break the bad news to her. She seemed so hopeful and I didn’t want to break her bubble and cease her hope.

The hours went by and nobody else set a foot in this place. I had absolutely nothing to do so throughout the whole day, I just cleaned the bookshop and tidied it up. Most hours I wished John would just walk in the store out of the blue and ask me if I’d like to go have lunch with him in Pizza Hut again or just chill with the band. I couldn’t believe my own thoughts and desires. It has only been two days since I last saw John and the boys. How could I miss them so much? I kept wondering when I’d see them again and what we’d do. My mind reminded that Sophie and I were going to their opening show tomorrow and that made me feel excited for some unknown reason. I’ve been hanging out with the band but I’ve never listened to their passion, their music. They had so many fans since the book launching was so successful that they’re music must be insanely good. I couldn’t wait to hear them, see them and be with them. They were so down to earth and hilarious. And there’s John. He’s mysterious and absolutely adorable. He never follows your expectations. He’s always in another page and world. I deeply wished I could understand his mind. Whenever he’s next to me, I know he’s close yet he seems so far away. That night on that mountainous place was the one time that I felt that he was really close to me. He opened himself and I couldn’t even reattribute the favor by doing the same. I chickened out and kept quiet instead.

“God, Kylie. You’re so stupid,” I told myself.

I should’ve said encouraging words to cheer him up and bring a smile to his face. I should’ve been there for him. Instead, what did I do? I fell asleep! How I wish I could go back in time and make that moment different. I’m so-

“Girl, you don’t have to do that. I hired a maid to do this dirty work tomorrow,” said Jessica, interrupting my thoughts.

I smiled. “Hey Jess! Um, you could’ve told me before you know? Now it’s too late, I’m almost done.”

She laughed. “It’s okay, she’ll come next week and for such a genuine action, you can have next Sunday off.”

“I should definitely clean up more often,” I joked with a smile pressed to my lips.

“Yeah, maybe you should!” she winked at me.

“Oh, Jess? A girl came in earlier and she was looking for a job and I told her I’d ask you about it. Any spots available?”

“Hm… I guess we could use someone new, especially a girl. I don’t know how you handle those two boys on your own,” she chuckled. “Tell her she can come here tomorrow morning so we can have a little chat. But before you do that, go home! You’ve done enough for today. Go get some rest, I’ll close the store.”

“Thanks! And will do.”

I immediately took my bag and headed out the doors. I was knackered and it was only 6pm. It meant that I’d have to go home and do nothing until the night arrived and I could close my eyes and only open them the next day! I just couldn’t wait for Monday. I think I was too anxious to even be able to sleep. All thoughts aside, while I was waiting for my bus to get to the bus stop, I dialed Lisa’s phone number. It hanged four times before a familiar voice answered the call.

“Hi?” her sweet voice spoke.

“Lisa? It’s me, Kylie. The girl from the bookshop.”

“Oh, hey! Is everything alright?” she asked with a tone of worry in her voice.

“Yeah, everything’s fine. I just called to let you know that my boss asked you to come by tomorrow morning so she could have a talk with you.”

“Seriously? Of course, of course! I’ll be there as early as possible, thank you so much Kylie!” her enthusiastic voice echoed through the phone.

“You’re welcome. See you tomorrow!” I said before hanging up.

After waiting 20 minutes for my bus to arrive and 20 more minutes to get home due to the traffic and tardiness of the bus, I arrived home. Most lights were on so I assumed everybody was at home already. As I entered through the front doors, the fragrance of the multiple flowers in the hall overwhelmed me.

I coughed. “Have I entered through the wrong place and reached the garden first somehow?” I shouted, hoping someone would reply somewhere from the house.

“Welcome to my life,” Sophie shouted from her room upstairs.

I laughed and dropped my keys on the kitchen counter.

“Hey, Sophie! Did you see my bike?” I shouted.

“Yeah, Eric dropped it about two hours ago!”

“What? Eric?” I said to myself. “Eric? Where did he leave it?” I shouted once again.

“Inside the garage I think!”

“Thanks!”

What the hell was going on? How did Eric get my bike in the first place? This doesn’t sound good. I made my way towards the garage and it smelled like dust. I switched on the lights and suddenly everything came into sight. I quickly searched the room for Lily but she was nowhere to be found until I laid eyes on this bike that looked as if it just got out of an advert. It looked brand new and it was white and lilac. There was a little white basket placed in front of it and even the tires where white.

“Wha…?” I questioned myself. Is there such a thing as white tires? I didn’t know it existed until this very moment. I approached this strangely new and gorgeous object and there was an envelope inside the basket. I opened it as fast as I could, curiosity eating my insides.

Fellow Pedestrian,

When I said you should join the pedestrian class, I was kidding! Haha, I totally didn’t mean you should literally join it. I hope that now you’ll stop taking my jokes so seriously and ride this honey with pride instead of riding that old tramp of yours. I didn’t know what colors to paint so don’t judge its colors. It was the best I could think of. I don’t know, maybe you can call it Lily or something? As in, for lilac… I’m babbling now, I should’ve written in pencil. Anyhow! It’s all yours. Don’t forget to give me a ride one of these days. Enjoy it!

Eric.


This was the sweetest thing everyone has ever done for me. Sure, people had bought me chocolates and flowers but it wasn’t this special. I don’t care about chocolates or flowers and people who knew me for much longer than Eric thought I did. He did something so simple yet so meaningful to me. I didn’t think twice. The heartbeat I finished reading his letter, I took my phone out of my pocket and called him. He picked up almost immediately.

“Hey Kylie.”

“Oh my word Eric, I loved it. How could I ever judge those colors, they like… went so well together and it all looks so perfect! Have you been reading my mind? How did you ever know I called it Lily?” I spoke as quickly as lightning, I didn’t know how to thank him enough.

He laughed. “I’m glad you liked it! Sorry for kind of stealing your bike though. It was for a good cause so I thought, why not uh? I just guessed, I didn’t know!”

I giggled. “What you did was amazing, I don’t quite know how to thank you!” I said with every single ounce of enthusiasm that I had inside of me.

“Ah, you don’t have to. You needed Pimp My Ride to show up, I just fastened the process.”

“You are just the best, really. I can’t believe I thought you were an ass the first time I met you!” I confessed.

“What? You thought I was an ass? I’m so amazing and you thought I was an ass? Okay, you’re definitely not normal Kylie!” said Eric as he laughed in disbelief.

“I totally did! I don’t know why. I guess it’s cause you were always hitting on girls and I instantly assumed you were one of those hardcore players from high school,” I chuckled.

“Lord, you’ve been watching too many American movies!”

“I’m sure Greg thought the same, c’mon.”

“Greg? Hell no! He saw me as a god since day one.” His tone was filled with sarcasm and a hidden laughter.

“Oh, shut up!” I laughed. “I think I might’ve found Greg’s soul mate. She’s pretty and a nice girl! She seems smart too. I think she will get turned on by Greg’s fancy long words.”

“Really? Does she really exist?” he laughed, “don’t tell me she’s in his imagination or something, that doesn’t count!”

“No, no! She’s real, very real! I think she’s a perfect match.”

“You sound confident, I’ll trust you. When will they actually meet?”

“Well, she came earlier looking for a job and Jess told her to come on Monday. I guess we just have to see what Greg thinks about her. I really hope he likes her. Or else our little mission has failed.”

He chuckled. “Our mission? I didn’t know you were a special agent too,” he joked, “I’m sure he will. She sounds amazing.”

I giggled. “I’m still in training but I will get there someday. Can you believe we’ve been chatting for fifteen minutes already?”

“What? It feels like I just picked up the phone!” he said, incredulous.

“Time flies when you’re having fun uh? Sorry for keeping you on the phone for so long. I just called to thank you. Well, to attempt to thank you since that’s not quite possible,” I chuckled.

“I don’t mind at all, you never call me anyways…”

“You don’t either mister, don’t try to make me feel guilty!” I laughed.

“I don’t like phones, I’d rather come over. Someday I might though, who knows.”

“Mi casa es su casa,” I laughed. “Just let me know when you do, I could really use some company to eat cookies with!”

“In that case, can I go now?”

“Um, now?”

“I’m just messing!” he burst out laughing, “I’m not the stalker type, don’t worry.”

“You’re the hot neighbor type,” I laughed half-heartedly.

What did I just say? The hot neighbor type? Kylie, control your hormones please , I thought. Realizing what I had just said, I put myself together before he even had a chance to comment.

“Um, I’ll see you tomorrow then! Goodnight,” I said softly.

“Goodnight, Kylie.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey Guys! :)
This is a loooong chapter!
I've decided to write longer chapters because they're so much better.
I'm going to update whenever I can, I promise.
I will not leave you in the dark again, haha.

Let me know your thoughts and have an a m a z i n g week! x