Sequel: We All Roll Along
Status: Completed!

We Only Breathe For So Long

Watch Out Where You’re Going Dude!

A ray of sunlight escaped from the curtains and managed to wake me up. I moaned softly to myself and reached for my phone on the nightstand. The clock was marking 11:19. Once I realized how late it was, I smiled to myself, remembering that for the first time in weeks I was able to wake up this late. I crawled out of bed and took a shower. I washed my hair as I did every morning. It had to be clean and fresh all the time; it was a weird habit of mine. As I was brushing it, untangling the bird’s nest that was created on my hair, I looked at the girl staring me back at the mirror. She was petite. Her height was small and her waist was thin. Her brown eyes were a lighter shade of brown due to the lighting in the bathroom. Her dark brown hair was hanging wet on her back. The girl staring back was ordinary in my eyes. I’ve never had self-esteem issues. I never thought I was ugly or fat. I just didn’t think I was pretty either. I was average, not pretty or ugly. Just average. And I totally didn’t mind.

I finally left the bathroom and breathed on the fresh, cold air present in my room. I slipped on light blue jeans, my blue combat boots and a blue jumper to match. It seemed very cold outside so I decided to add a long white coat and scarf with it. I blow-dried my hair so I could eliminate any chances of catching a flu while I was out. I grabbed my white bike in which I named Lily for no apparent reason and made my way to the streets.

I had no clue where I was going; I just wanted to explore the surroundings for a while. I haven’t done that much since I’ve gotten here. All I knew was the route home to my university and downtown, to the bookshop. Everything else remained unknown to me. After a few right and left turns and a good 20 minute ride, a little commercial center came into sight. It was small, so small that there were about ten parking spots only. The shops present in it were small and cute. There was a flower shop, two boutiques, a mini-supermarket, a blockbuster, a pizzeria and a chocolate store. I was going to explore it all since it was so tiny but I was compelled to visit the chocolate store first. As I walked through the doors, a wave of heat and cacao essence flooded my lungs. This place smelled like your grandmother’s house, that’s how welcoming and sweet it was. It was small, but big enough to have chocolate all over. There was chocolate shaped into anything that you can imagine: hearts, stars, people, letters, names, symbols, places, touristic attractions, flags, objects and so much more. After I bought a few boxes of chocolate I was determined to bring Angela here sometime, she would absolutely love it. Thinking about Angela, I decided to go to the flower shop as my last stop to get her some fresh flowers to decorate the house. I checked everything out, every single store and then I proceeded to the flower shop and got Angela some tulips and lavenders. While I was on my way to my bike, my phone buzzed and vibrated on my pocket. I reached it and unlocked it; it was a message from Greg.

Hey Kylie! I just got off the phone with the mentally retarded people that were going to deliver the special markers to confirm our order and they denied that we ordered anything at all. I’m trying to look for a place to buy it but it’s all closed. If you can, try and find it and if you do, give me a call. I’m sorry. Enjoy your day!

I shoved my cellphone in my pocket and rapidly turned around to go to the direction of the mini-supermarket and attempt to find the stupid markers. As I turned, I bumped into something. Well, someone. It was a guy and he was really tall and skinny. He was so tall that my head hovered beneath his shoulders. It happened so fast that I dropped the flowers, frightened from the collision. I quickly kneeled to the ground hoping to save the flowers before even looking up to match the face with the unfamiliar voice that spoke.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” a hoarse voice with a familiar accent spoke to me and kneeled down too to help me pick up the flowers. As he lowered down, I lifted my gaze and I met his eyes. His eyes were an electric shade of green; he had freckles beneath his eyes and along the bridge of his nose. He had a defined jaw and thin lips were placed above his chin. I dozed off for a moment, delighted with his good appearance and only focused on what he was saying after a few missed words.

“…my fault,” he stared deeply into my eyes. We held eye contact for what felt like eternity but in human time, it was mere two seconds.

“It’s alright,” I said while standing up and trying to fix the smashed flowers in my hands. He had such a familiar accent, I couldn’t help myself and I had to ask.

“Are you from Arizona?”

He seemed to think before replying, “Yeah I actually am. And by the sound of it, you are too. Aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am.”

There was a pause and I could feel his gaze on me, it was like his green eyes were laser lights and it was burning off my skin.

“I am sorry for your flowers Miss…” he had an apologetic expression as he spoke and prolonged the pronunciation of the last word.

“Kylie,” my voice was almost a whisper. I cleared my throat and repeated my name more clearly while putting my hand out to offer a handshake, “Kylie.”

He did those half smiles that guys usually do and I couldn’t help but think how idiotic I must look, just staring at him.

“Kylie,” he repeated my name as if it were a music note or a pleasant word. He stretched out his long arms and shook my hand while he said, ”I’m John.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm going to stop updating for today to give a little suspense to the story! Haha, I hope you guys are enjoying. If you are, please be kind enough to leave me a comment! Thank you so much for reading x