Status: Embrace the magick

The World Inside My Head

The Puppet Game

We are all pawns in this game of life. Humans are a part of the puppet game. This game is played by the devils and demons in hell. Humans may think they have free will, but the truth of the matter is, they don’t. Demons and devils control their very actions and they are left none the wiser.

“Jinks, who are you controlling today?” A red devil by the name of Trey asked.

Jinks turned his head, still holding the strings of his victim. “A girl by the name of Grace,” he said.
Trey nodded and he returned his attention to his puppet named Grace.

Grace was a fifteen year old girl who attended Spade academy. She was a sweet girl who did what her parents told her. Lately, though she had been getting into trouble. It was all to Jinks amusement. He thought good girls like Grace weren’t really good, that they were just pretending to be sweet and innocent, when in reality they harbored hate.

Jinks, was wrong though, good people did exist and Grace was one of them. However, because of him people were beginning to think she wasn’t as sweet as they thought at first. She was getting a bad reputation. Grace knew something was wrong but she didn’t know what. She knew that she never did bad things so when she started doing them, without even thinking about it, she became very afraid.

Grace would get into fights on a weekly basis and with people who were a great deal bigger than her. She would lose most of the time and get sent to the principal’s office. She also developed the habit of stealing. She usually got away with this, but she felt guilty constantly afterwards. The worst habit she had acquired was cheating on tests. Grace had been a straight A student but lately her grades had been slipping and she began to bring slips of paper with the answers on them with her.
Jinks laughed at all that befell her. She was so ignorant he thought. She thought her character had changed but human’s character’s hardly ever changed. She thought she was lashing out for something, but that wasn’t the case. Little did she know that he was controlling her actions, making her do the horrible things she felt so guilty about. Humans were so naïve and powerless against demon’s control over them. Most of them didn’t believe in fate and the few that did thought their precious God had control over their lives. They knew so little. God didn’t interfere in human’s lives, it was against his principles. We demons on the other hand didn’t care about morality. If it benefited us at all, or amused us we were up for it.

Jinks thought he was safe, began to even grow soft, because he figured no one could break his control on the girl. He was wrong. He had forgotten about her guardian angel.

It was a somber morning in hell, but then again all of the days were, when Jinks got the scare of his life. He was staring down at the human world, smirking at the ignorant humans, as they went about their day. Jinks loved watching humans do stupid and reckless things. Right now he was watching a human boy with black hair get in a fist fight with a blonde boy.

He didn’t notice when a feather floated down past his body. A hand gripped Jinks’s shoulder then. His body began to quiver and he got a chill running down his back. Quickly, he turned his head and gaped at what he saw. It was an angel, one of God’s henchmen.

He narrowed his eyes and said, “What do you want?”

The angel gave him a hard and calculating look. “What do I want? I want you to leave my girl Grace alone,” he said his voice dangerous.

Something clicked in Jinks’s head then. Was this guy her guardian angel? Jinks laughed, “Are you the girl’s guardian angel?”

The angel frowned and replied, “Yes. Why are you laughing?”

Jinks shook his head, “I’m laughing because no guardian angel has ever bothered me before because the welfare of their child was in danger. It’s odd.”

The angel glared at him and replied, “I don’t care if you think it’s odd, Grace is important to me and I want you to stop harassing her by controlling her actions!”

Jinks chuckled but then a strange thought occurred to him. “Are you in love with her?” He asked, gaping at him.

The angel turned scarlet and confirmed Jinks question. Jinks said, “I hope you know you’ll become a fallen angel if you pursue this girl.”

The angel sputtered and replied, “Mind your own business!”

“Oh I would, except you kind of made it my business the moment you decided to threaten me. I mean come on, demons and angels don’t ever negotiate. I’m not backing down either, she’s my pawn now,” Jinks said seething.

The angel scowled and responded with, “You’re making a mistake I hope you know. No one ever messes with angels for a reason and you can’t just jerk me around any way you please. She’s mine and if we have to fight then so be it.”

Jinks laughed and said, “I seriously doubt I’m making a mistake. Good guys never win. Besides fighting is too messy, why don’t we go down to Earth and take human forms. We’ll try to get the girl fall in love with one of us and the first one to succeed will get to decide her fate.”
 The angel shrugged, “Sounds good to me. When do we start?”

“Now,” Jinks said and jumped down the hole that led to Earth.

Jinks had shaggy, dark brown hair and gold eyes. He was of medium height and looked just like any other human; no one suspected he was a demon.

Sam was Grace’s guardian angel. He had shoulder length blonde hair and hazel eyes. He loved Grace, the question was did she love him? For her sake he hoped she would fall in love with him first. Her fate was at stake. Sam just got riled up thinking about the demon who wanted to control his precious Grace’s fate for all of eternity. If it killed him, he would make sure Grace never did another thing under his control.

Jinks approached Grace, the pretty girl with a heart shaped face and long light brown hair. She was sitting on a bench by the school, eating a sandwich for lunch. At the sound of footsteps, Grace picked up her head.

She smiled at Jinks and said, “Hello.”

“Hi beauty,” Jinks said putting on the charm.

Grace giggled and patted the spot on the bench next to her.

Jinks sat down next to her and replied, “I think I’m in love.”

Grace cocked her head and frowned.

Jinks pointed at Grace’s bag. It had a super villain on it. There were words on the bag that said, “Good girls like me love bad guys.” Grace laughed, “My brother bought it for me. I’m glad you like it.”


Jinks smirked and the two of them talked for a while. He ended up leaving when the school bell rang for lunch to be over. Jinks thought he had handled that situation well. Hopefully before long, Grace would fall in love with him. He thought she was a sweet and kind girl but he loved controlling her. It made him happy for some reason. All he knew for now was that he wasn’t going to lose Grace to her guardian angel.

Sam saw Grace sitting at a table in her local library, through the window. He watched her for a moment as she read a thick book. His heart pounded in his chest, she was really beautiful closer up. Usually he saw her from above, following her and protecting her. He had to do this. It was now or never. Pushing open the library door, he went in and started walking over to Grace.

She didn’t look up until he spoke. “Enjoying that book?” He questioned softly.

Grace’s eyes rose and her whole body froze. She shivered then and Sam wondered what was going on.

“Have we met before?” She asked, her eyebrow rising.

He didn’t want to scare her, not when so much was riding on his success. “No, but I wish we had,” he replied trying to keep his voice steady.

She nodded and he said, “You never answered my question.”

Her eyes zeroed in on his and they softened. She laughed and replied, “You’re right. I’m sorry about that.”


“I am enjoying this book, it’s really interesting,” she responded smiling.

“What’s it about?” He inquired.

“Angels,” she said and his heart stopped.

She stroked the cover of the book and kept talking. “I don’t know why but I’ve always felt like angels walked the earth or were watching us from above. If I ever met an angel I’d tell him or her I never doubted in their existence and then I’d want to go to heaven.”

Sam snapped out of his daze. “You can’t mean that. That’s forbidden.”

Grace looked at him with something akin to confusion. “How do you know that?”
 Oh great he thought. Now she was suspicious of him. He had to tell her though it was only right. “I know because I’ve read that humans are not allowed to go to heaven until they’ve died. If a human ever got into heaven while they were still alive, God would punish the angel who brought them by stripping their wings from them and making them a fallen angel.”

Grace’s eyes widened. “I didn’t know that. I would never want that to happen to an angel.”

Sam smiled, she was so kind natured. Now that the demon wasn’t controlling her, she was back to her old self.

Grace looked down at her watch and said, “I need to go. My family’s expecting me for dinner.”
 Sam nodded and she got up, clutching the book to her chest. Before she left she turned around and said, “I hope to see you around.”

“You too,” Sam said a smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

Jinks snickered as he carried the potion with him. Why hadn’t he thought of this sooner? It was so obvious. All he had to do was, give the girl a love potion and watch her fall head over heels in love with him. That angel would never know and he would get to keep controlling her.
Jinks poured the liquid into a coffee cup, disguising it for what it truly was. He laughed and walked over to the park. He saw Grace sitting at a picnic table, watching the children playing. As soon as he approached Grace smiled at him.

“If it isn’t the super villain lover, how are you?” She questioned.

Jinks smiled, “I’m good. Do you want some of this coffee?” 


Sam was walking past the park when he saw that devil with Grace. His blood boiled and he frowned when he saw him extending a coffee cup in her direction. What was going on?
He raced towards the two of them, hoping he wasn’t too late to stop whatever was going to transpire.

Grace frowned as she saw the dark haired boy extend the coffee cup in her direction. “I don’t like coffee, sorry,” she said apologetic.

The boy scowled. What was his deal? “I got it for you, you could at least drink some of it,” he said gruffly.

He had what? Why would he do that? He didn’t even know her, let alone the fact that coffee made her stomach clench up and churn.

Grace gasped as she saw the boy from the library appear behind him and growl in his ear, “What do you think you’re doing?”

Jinks turned around and his eyes hardened when he saw the angel. “What do you think? I’m giving this lovely girl a drink.”

The angel scowled, “If I recall she said she didn’t like coffee.”

Jinks shook his head, “Everyone loves coffee. She’s just being hard headed.”


“I’m not! I hate it!” Grace yelled at him.

The angel laughed, “See?”

Jinks frowned, “Fine.” He slammed the coffee on the picnic table and the lid fell off, revealing the liquid inside.

The angel’s eyes widened and Jinks gasped. Jinks tried to cover the coffee cup up with the lid but the damage had been done. He had seen all that he needed to.

“You were going to give Grace a love potion!” Sam yelled, barely controlling his anger.

The demon glared at him, “Yeah, so what! I didn’t think I would get caught, so I took a chance.”

“I hope you know that’s cheating and you’re disqualified,” Sam said anger leaking from him.

The demon groaned, “Are you serious?”

“Oh I’m dead serious,” he said snapping his teeth at him.

“How do you know my name?” Grace asked causing Sam to stiffen and the demon to laugh.
The cat was out of the bag now.

He had to tell her the truth. She had heard too much. “I know your name because I’m your guardian angel Grace,” he said simply.

Grace’s eyes widened and she put a hand on her mouth. “No wonder you looked so familiar,” she said in awe.

Sam nodded and then she gave him a hard look. “What were you two talking about? Giving me a love potion and cheating and being disqualified?”

“This demon over here,” Sam started indicating the demon whose name he still didn’t know.
“Has been harassing you, he’s been controlling your actions and I, being your guardian angel couldn’t stand it any longer. So we made a wager to see who could make you fall in love with one of us first. Whoever did this would get to control your fate,” he concluded.

Grace gave the demon a glare, “You were making me do all those horrible things?” 
 The demon
nodded and hung his head.

“I’m glad I have you,” Grace said looking at Sam.

Sam smiled.

“What’s your name though?” She questioned.

“It’s Sam,” he replied.

Grace nodded, “So what’s my fate now?”

“It’s up to you Grace, I’m not going to control you like him,” Sam said pointing a finger at the demon.

Grace smiled, “I can’t believe you would do all this for me though. Why did you do it?”

Sam’s face heated up. He hung his head when the demon snickered in the background. “It’s complicated but if you must know it’s because I love you,” he said fear entering his body.

Grace gasped and replied, “Won’t that make you a fallen angel?”

He nodded, “It will but honestly Grace I love you too much to care.”


Grace’s eyes shone with something Sam couldn’t quite place.

The demon gagged and said, “This is getting too sentimental for my taste. Hope to see you guys never.” With that the demon flew up into the sky and was lost in the clouds.

Sam smiled at Grace and for once in his life he didn’t care what happened to him, not as long as Grace was by his side.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy this short story I wrote a while back.