Finding John

Chapter Five

I couldn’t describe to you the expression that overtook Alex’s face after I said that word. It was sort of a mixture of shock and happiness, with a little bit of nervousness laced in there. But what I do know is that that expression made me smile, which, in turn, made Alex smile. And just like that, I felt the connection between us growing.

Alex didn’t say anything as I carefully unwrapped my hot dog from it’s foil wrapper. He also didn’t say anything when I snapped open the cap of my apple juice. I sighed, realizing that I was going to have to say the first words. “I just wanted to thank you,” I said nervously. “For complimenting me,” I added.

Alex said nothing.

“It really meant a lot to me,” I tried again.

Still nothing.

“I see you’re not one to talk much.”

This time he looked up at me and slightly smiled.

I smiled back. “That’s okay. I’m not really one, either.”

And for the rest of lunch, it was silent.

---

“For the next 10 minutes, you are going to write down your thoughts about the Civil Rights Movement on this sheet of paper that I am handing out. I expect at least one page, meaning the front, and absolutely NO talking. Understood?” We all nodded along with Mrs. Stewart, knowing that if we didn’t, she wouldn’t be slow to give us detentions. One by one, she handed us a sheet of paper and we got to work.

Ten minutes later, the final bell rang, but none of us dared to get out of our seats. No one gets out of their seats until Mrs. Stewart tells us to. It’s an understood notion in her classroom. “Alright, class. If you finished your paper, please bring it up to my desk and set it in the Finished tray. If not, I’ll give you until tomorrow to give it to me. Right at the beginning of class, I want it in the Finished tray. You may leave now.” Everyone rushed out of their seats, in a hurry to get to their lockers because the busses leave eight minutes after the final bell rings.

I walked slowly to my locker, in no hurry at all. I was going to walk home, mainly because I didn’t think I was ready to face the kids on my school bus yet. I wasn’t sure if I ever would be.

The whole way to my locker, I saw people giving me looks. Some were sympathetic, some were nasty, and even more looked unsure what to say to me. I hung my head low, not wanting to draw any more attention to myself. I already had enough of that.

When I reached my locker, I turned the lock in order to put my combination in and then opened my locker. When I did so, a tiny slip of paper fell out. It slowly sailed through the air before lightly hitting the ground. I leaned down and picked it up, smiling when I saw what it said.

You’re welcome.