‹ Prequel: Love on Top
Sequel: (You Drive Me) Crazy

Be With You

Crazy in Love

I look and stare so deep in your eyes. I touch on you more and more every time. When you leave i'm beggin you not to go. Call your name two, three times in a row. Such a funny thing for me to try to explain. How i'm feeling and my pride is the one to blame. Yeah, cause i know i don't understand. Just how your love can do what no one else can.

~*~*~


Piper looked up as the bell over the front door of the cupcake shop chimed. She smiled and called out for Quinn. "Quinn, you have a visitor!"

"I hope it's Samson!" She called back. "Those lips look like they were made for kissing!" She stepped out from the back, patting her hands on the front of her apron with a huge grin on her face. "Oh, hi Zach!" She said sweetly with a sly smile. He shook his head in amusement at her, crossing the shop and picking her up, squeezing her tightly before pulling her face to his and kissing her.

"Didn't get enough of me last night?" Quinn teased.

"I can't stay away. You're like crack," Zach answered.

"That's bad news for you, buddy. It's been a week and you're already addicted? What are you going to do when I steal sweet little Dalps out from under Piper?"

Piper rolled her eyes at Quinn. "You wouldn't corrupt such a good guy," Zach told her.

"You're right; he's too nice. Maybe Sutter then?" She winked at him.

"I am never leaving you alone with my teammates."

"Good idea.”

"I like your apron." The fifties style apron was modern and flirty, with a hot pink and lime polka dot print.

"Thank you."

"Howsit look with just a pair of heels and nothing underneath?"

"Wouldn't you like to know."

"Yes I would. Will you please bring it to my place tonight?" He tugged her to him and kissed her again. "Also, you have flour on your face." He swiped at a spot on her cheek.

"I'm very messy when I bake."

"Can I help?"

"Sure." She took his hand and led him back to the kitchen. Jordyn sat at one of the counters talking on her cell phone. She waved to Zach and barely stifled a laugh when Quinn popped an apron over his head, yellow with pink spring flowers with solid pink ruffle underneath, flaring at the bottom. She grinned at him and kissed him hard, silencing any protest before he could make one. She smiled sweetly at him and tied the apron in place.

"You look so hot in that apron," Quinn whispered in his ear. She pinched his ass as she moved around him.

"Want me to wear it with a pair of heels tonight?"

"Yes," she answered smugly. "That'd be fantastic." He followed her over to her stand mixer and she began to direct him in mixing up a batter as she checked the cupcakes in the oven. The space was small and she made sure to rub against him every time she moved. She giggled when he playfully smacked her ass and straightened, going on tiptoe to kiss him, leaning into him. When Jordyn finished her call, she joined them, clearing her throat to bring them out of their make out session.

"To what do we owe the pleasure of your company Chuckie?"

"Just thought I'd come by and say hi," Zach replied.

"Don't let him lie to you," Quinn said. "He can't get enough of me."

Zach grinned. "My girl is pretty irresistible."

Jordyn shook her head at them. “Only Quinn could kiss four guys, in the same night, who are teammates, and come out of it with a boyfriend.”

“Obviously I am very charming," Quinn boasted.

“You’re very something," Zach teased her. He grabbed her around the middle and pulled her in for another kiss. She giggled and pressed herself to him.

“You like it.”

“I like it a lot. Glad I got you to leave with me.”

“Four's a charm,” she winked at him.

The bell over the door chimed again and a loud cacophony of voices walked into the little shop. Zac Dalpe stood in the middle of four of his teammates and shot a sheepish smile at Piper. “They insisted on coming once they heard where I was going,” he explained. Piper smiled.

“Hello boys," she said cheerfully. "Welcome to Scrumptious Nibbles.”

“Yes, you look mighty scrumptious and I’d like a nibble,” Brett Sutter drawled. Piper blushed and Zac punched his captain in the arm.

“Dude! Cut it out,” he said firmly. Zac turned to Piper. “Sorry. Please ignore them.”

“What can I get for you guys?”

“Quinn,” Jared Staal answered with an easy grin.

“Sorry, baby Staal,” Quinn said, emerging from the kitchen with a tray of fresh cupcakes. “Not on the menu.”

“You sure?” He took a step closer to her and checked her out openly.

“I’m sure,” Zach said as he came out of the kitchen, Jordyn right behind him. He slipped an arm around Quinn and held her possessively.

“You should’ve left the apron on,” Quinn whispered to him. “It was so much more intimidating.”

“You’d like that, wouldn’t you?” he whispered back.

“Guess you’ll never know.” She kissed his cheek and moved around him to fill the display case.

“What do you see in this guy anyway, Quinn?” Brett asked. “He’s a midget.”

“A midget with a great ass.” Zach flushed crimson and the guys laughed. She pulled several cupcakes from the case and set them out. “Have at it boys." They each grabbed for a cupcake and within minutes, the plate she set out had been demolished and Piper set more out for them.

"I'm going to have put in double time at the gym for these," Zach said to Quinn as he finished his third cupcake. She leaned back against his chest and turned her face towards his.

"I can help you with that," she said playfully.

"You're kind of workout sounds fantastic," he whispered in her ear, letting his hands travel down her sides. She shivered against him.

"But never on game days," she finished for him. He nodded grimly. "It'll take some getting used to, but I'll live. I have hands." He groaned lowly in her ear. "Best girlfriend ever, right?"

His hands gripped her hips. "Oh yeah." She smiled and turned to him, pressing her lips to his. She opened her mouth to his and his tongue slipped past, teasing her and leaving her wanting more. When he pulled back from her, he smiled in satisfaction. "That's for being a god damn tease."

Quinn frowned. "Karma's a bitch, Chuckie. You'll pay for that."

"I hope so," he grinned.

That night, Quinn brought her two nieces with them to the game, leaving Quinn's older brother to have a date night with his wife. As warm ups neared their end, they took the girls down to the tunnel to see the players come off the ice. Quinn showed them how to stick their closed fists out for the guys to bump as they came off the ice. The players that recognized them tossed casual smiles at them. Justin Faulk flipped his hair as he walked towards them and Jordyn whistled at him, causing his cheeks to turn red. Justin Peters walked up behind him and he chuckled at the girls who giggled amongst themselves. He handed each of Quinn's nieces a puck.

"Aw, what a guy," Quinn said. "Thanks Peters." Zac came off after him and Piper stuck her hand out along with the two little girls. Zac grinned at her and Piper smiled shyly back. Quinn nudged her and giggled as he passed. Boychuk was one of the last guys off the ice. A group of girls ahead of them got his attention and he paused for a picture with them. He looked over and saw Quinn and smiled at her.

"Do you all want to be in the picture?" Zach asked. They nodded enthusiastically their agreement and Zach looked back at Quinn. "Babe, come here and take this picture."

Quinn nodded and went around her nieces and took the offered cell phone from one of the girls. They arranged themselves and Zach grinned as Quinn snapped a couple pictures of them. She handed the phone back to the girls who thanked her and Zach winked at her.

"Is she your girlfriend?" one of the girls asked him.

"She is," Zach said with a grin. They looked back at Quinn who smiled at them. When they turned away, she shot a murderous look at Zach. They whispered to each other as they walked off.

"Thanks for that," Quinn said once they were out of earshot. "They sit near us." He chuckled and leaned over the rail, giving her a what was supposed to be a quick kiss that Quinn immediately deepened it, teasing her tongue along his bottom lip.

"Ooooo!!" Piper and Jordyn teased, making kissy faces at them.

"Shut up," Quinn said, blushing.

Zach laughed and continued down the tunnel, exchanging taps with Quinn's nieces, Piper, and Jordyn.

"Are you blushing?" Jordyn demanded. "Oh my god, Quinn Norris, you are blushing!"

"Come on girls," Quinn said, taking a hand of each girl and leading them back to their seats. Jordyn and Piper giggled all the way around the concourse and were still giggling at Quinn's expense when they sat back down after getting her nieces popcorn and drinks.

"Fancy meeting you here," Justin Soryal said, sitting in the empty seat beside Quinn during the first intermission. Quinn smiled and gave him a quick hug.

"How's my favorite ex boyfriend?"

"Can't complain."

"Really? Not even for more ice time?"

"Funny." He put an arm around the back of her chair. "Where's Jordyn and Piper?"

"They took my nieces to the bathroom."

"So we've got what, two minutes to make out?" He leaned closer and Quinn pushed him back with a giggle.

"You wish."

"I do. I saw you first."

"Whatever."

"You going out after the game?"

"We have to take the girls home first but yeah, we'll be there."

"Nice to see you, Justin," Jordyn said, taking the seat beside Quinn.

"Hey, Sorzy," Piper said brightly as she ushered the two girls into the row.

"Will you be joining us for the rest of the game?" Jordyn asked.

"Since you're inviting me," he answered with a smirk.

"Who are you?" One of the girls asked, sitting down in the chair beside him and staring up at him. Justin smiled.

"I'm your Aunt Quinn's ex boyfriend, Justin."

"Justin!" Quinn exclaimed, slapping the back of her hand across his chest. "Jesus," she muttered.

"What do you do?”

“I play hockey.”

“Why aren't you playing right now?” she asked looking up at him expectantly.

Jordyn snorted and Piper hid a smile behind her hand. “Because he’s not as good as Boychuk,” Quinn teased. “And Chuckie is very good. At least that’s what I hear.” She winked at Justin and he frowned.

“You could find out for yourself how good I am,” Justin said to her.

She pretended to consider it for a moment before shaking her head. “Pass.” He reached out and tickled her side and she swatted his hand away with a giggle.”Behave or I’ll tell security that you are not in the right seat.”

“They won’t care,” Justin replied with a smug grin. He put his arm around the back of Quinn’s seat and turned back to Quinn’s nieces. “What’s your name, cutie pie?”

“I'm Rachel,” she answered proudly. “That’s my sister Samantha." The little girl smiled at him. “I'm eight and she’s five.”

"It is a pleasure to meet you both," Justin said.

The Checkers skated out for the second period, several players taking a lap around their end. Justin Peters looked over to find Jordyn in the stands and smiled at her. She smiled back as he slipped his helmet into place and got down on the ice to stretch. He was certain he heard a loud cheer to his right when he went into a split. Dalpe smiled at Piper every time they took a face off near them. Zach however avoided looking in their direction.

Samantha climbed onto Justin's lap and he answered all of her questions about the game throughout the period. She looked at Quinn near the end of the period with a serious expression. "Aunt Quinn, you should marry Mister Justin. He's nice," she said in her most solemn voice.

"There's more to it than being nice, sweetie," Quinn replied.

"Yes, there are far more important things. A great ass is number one, like Chuckie's," Jordyn added.

"Don't talk about my boyfriends fine ass, wench."

"What's a wench?" Samantha asked.

Jordyn laughed. "Ask your daddy, Sam."

"Aunt Quinn, I gotta go to the bathroom!" Rachel whined.

"As soon as there's a stop, ok?" The little girl nodded in agreement and at the next whistle, Quinn led her up the stairs. Justin followed with Samantha. Quinn took the two girls into the bathroom and Justin waited for them outside. He smiled when they reappeared and he picked Samantha up and carried her. Rachel held onto Quinn’s hand and Justin placed a light hand at the small of Quinn’s back, guiding her through the throngs of people now making their way onto the concourse with the end of the period. He kept it there as they made their way to the seats and pulled her back towards him as a couple people exited the row behind them. They smiled politely as they passed each other.

“Thanks,” Quinn said to Justin as they sat back down. She leaned over and kissed his cheek.

“No problem,” He replied, settling into the seat with Samantha on his knee and his arm back around Quinn’s seat.

After dropping the two girls off with their parents, Quinn, Jordyn, and Piper made the drive to meet the guys at the bar. Justin Peters spotted them first when they entered and whisked Jordyn off with him to the bar, one hand planted firmly on her backside. Zac waved from the table and Piper and Quinn walked up to him. He slipped an arm around Piper and held her beside him. Quinn said hello to the others and joined their conversation. She smiled warmly at Riley when he walked over. He eyed Quinn from across the table and as he contemplated walking around to her and asking her to dance, Zach walked up behind her and wrapped both arms around her middle. Her entire face lit up at his arrival and she turned in his arms, and kissed him.

“Hi,” she said to him.

“Hi. Have fun tonight?”

“Except for those girls shooting me dirty looks all night, yes I did.”

He laughed. “Sorzy sat with you?”

“For the second and third periods. I think Samantha might be in love with him. She talked about him all the way home.

“You’ve created a monster.”

“At least she has good taste,” she laughed. He grinned.

"Your nieces are cute.”

“They’re adorable but I'm so glad I get to return them.”

“You ready for tomorrow?” She nodded. “I talked to my parents before the game. Their flight was late in so I didn't get to see them after the game. They wanted to get settled in but they’re really looking forward to meeting you.”

“Great; I wasn’t nervous before but now I totally am.”

“Don’t be. They’ll love you.”

Quinn followed alongside Zach the next evening as they crossed the restaurant to reach the table his parents sat at. They rose as Zach and Quinn approached. “Mom, Dad, this is my girlfriend Quinn.” He introduced his parents to her and she politely shook his father, Richard’s, hand. She turned to his mother, Joan, and Quinn froze. Her eyes grew wide as she met her eye but recovered and shook her hand politely with a smile. The woman raised an eyebrow as she looked at Quinn, remembering her in detail as the girl who sat in front of them the night before.

Zach felt Quinn’s body language change, her back go rigid as she stared at her heels. “Are you okay?” Zach whispered close to her ear. She pasted on a fake smile.

“Mm-hmm. Just need the ladies room,” Quinn answered, Zach nodded and she made a beeline for the restrooms, disappearing out of sight. She pulled her cell phone from her purse and dialed Jordyn, who answered on the fourth ring.

“Shit, shit, god damn fuck!”

“What the hell, Quinn? Aren't you with Zach and his parents?”

“Yes. And his parents were sitting behind us last night.”

“What?! Are you kidding me?”

“No; which means they probably heard every word Sorzy said about being my ex, and the way we joked with each other, and all the lewd things we said!” she moaned.

“Oh my god! I said your boyfriend had a great ass!”

“Yeah well, I called it a fine ass! How am I supposed to sit across from his mom and eat a meal now? She totally recognizes me!”

“Shit.”

“You're damn right, shit. Jordyn, what am I supposed to do? His mom gave me this look. LIke an actual dirty look. If I go out the window, do you think anyone will notice?”

“You’re going to have to suck it up. I mean, he wants you to meet his parents. That means something, right? I’m sure if you tell Chuckie, he can smooth everything over.”

“I hope you’re right.”

“I'm always right. Wake me up when you get in. I want to hear everything.” Quinn hung up with Jordyn and sent a text to Zach.

Your parents sat behind me last night

Okay.

You knew?!?

I knew their tickets were in the same section. I had no idea they were behind you.

Justin introduced himself to my nieces as my ex.

That explains the questions.

QUESTIONS??? Holy crap. I’m going out the window.


A minute later, there was a knock at the ladies room door and Zach called out her name. She opened the door a crack and peered out at him. “Is it clear in there?” he asked. Quinn nodded mutely and he stepped inside. “Its not a big deal, Quinn. I told them that Justin rescued you from a sleaze at the bar, before we met, by saying he was your boyfriend and how its a joke between everyone now. I don’t care that Justin sat with you last night. I don’t care that he kept an arm around your seat, or that you kissed his cheek. I know you’re with me.”

“We joked about making out.” Zach shrugged. “Jordyn and I talked about your sweet ass.”

“Of course you did,” he said, shaking his head and chuckling.

“Were you mad, about Justin sitting with us?” Quinn asked.

“No. He knows we’re together and I know nothing will happen to you with him watching out.”

“But you didn't look over all night. Peters did. Hell, even Dalps did.”

Zach smiled and took a step closer to her and reached for her hand. “I avoided looking over at you because of my parents. I didn’t want any distractions and you are too pretty not to be distracted by. And I wanted to get a goal with my parents watching.”

“Really?”

“Really. I don’t care if you’re friends with Justin or any of those guys. I know you’re going home with me.” She hugged him, brushing her lips across his with a smile. “Come on, lets go sit. I’m sure it won’t be as bad as you think.”

Zach was wrong. His mom ignored Quinn as much as possible, shooting dirty looks her direction and asking pointed questions of her, thinly veiled with insults. Quinn said as little as possible and let the conversations swirl around her. They talked about the season and upcoming games. Halfway through their meal, Zach’s father turned to her.

“What do you do, Quinn?”

“If anything,” his mother added.

“Mom,” Zach warned.

“Just asking. You never know with these girls.”

“Quinn isn’t one of those girls. She’s smart, and funny, and I think she’s gorgeous. I like spending time with her and I’m really enjoying getting to know her.” Quinn blushed and Zach reached for her hand, holding it in his. “Quinn and Justin are friends. He met her before I did and he did her a favor. Its a joke, that’s it. I’m not going to tell you again.

“You seemed very close to me,” she said to Quinn.

“Mom! Stop it already. I’m not worried about Justin and neither should you.”

“But Zach, these girls-”

“Let it be honey,” Richard said, cutting her off. “They’re happy. Look at them.”

Zach smiled at Quinn. “Tell him what you do,” he prompted.

“I own a bakery, sir,” Quinn said softly.

“A bakery?”

“Yes, sir. Well, I only do cupcakes so I guess its more of a cupcake shop than a bakery but we do okay.”

“We?”

“Myself and two friends, Piper and Jordyn. We run it together. I do the baking, Jordyn manages it, and Piper runs the front.”

“How long have you been open?”

“We celebrate one year in two weeks.”

“That sounds very nice, Quinn.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“You can call me Richard, Quinn.”

“Thank you, Richard.”

“I hope you’re not messing up your routine for a cupcake, Zach,” Joan said condescendingly. “A lot of hard work for some empty calories.” The double meaning in her words hung in the air.

“Really mom? Why don’t you just scare Quinn off before I can trick her into falling in love with me? That’s just great. She’s my girlfriend and you might as well get used to it,” Zach stormed.

Quinn stared at him before she leaned over to him and kissed him in the middle of their dinner. She didn’t care who saw, his mother be damned. “I’m so yours right now. Can we please meet up in the bathroom again?” she whispered to him. “Better yet, would anyone notice if we both snuck out the window?”

“I know it makes me a total sap but I love you,” he whispered back. “A fucking week and I love you.”

She pushed back from the table, a wide smile on her face. She turned to Richard, then Joan, before grabbing Zach’s hand and tugging him to his feet. “If you’ll excuse us for just a minute,” she said before pulling Zach away from the table. She could hear his mom begin to protest but they were out of earshot within seconds. She dragged him to the hall that led to the bathrooms and pushed him into the wall.

“You are the most amazing boyfriend I have ever had,” Quinn began. “First I’m the pretend girlfriend of one of your teammates, who I ‘broke up’ with for a different one of your teammates who I fully intend to take home. Then I made out with a yet another of your teammates on a bet. But you, with your saucy little looks and that fucking smile, got me to take you home instead. And yeah, we started doing this completely ass backwards but God I like you, so much.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and pressed against him. “You’re no sap, Zach Boychuk. You’re everything I could ask for and then some and I love you too.” She kissed him hard as the words left her mouth and his arms wrapped around her, hugging her to him, melting them into one.

They kissed for several dizzying minutes, making out like teenagers as people came in and out of the bathrooms. “Let’s just go,” Zach said when they separated.

Quinn shook her head. “Its your parents and we can’t do that. Let’s just finish eating and then we’ll go.”

“Your place or mine?”

“Mine; I’m closer and I really want you naked.”

“I’ve been thinking about that since I kissed you after warmups yesterday.”

“Good. That was payback for yesterday afternoon at the nibble.” He grinned and took her hand in his, walking back to the table. His dad smiled at them as they sat down.

“All good?” he asked.

“Fucking perfect,” Quinn breathed. His mom gasped at her and Quinn turned to her with a sweet smile. “I know how last night might have seemed but its not what you think. His teammates are great and would never do that. I intend to be everything he needs me to be. If you can accept that, great. If not, whatever. Its your loss, not mine. I’ve got him, and that’s the only opinion that matters to me.”

Zach looped an arm around the back of her chair, pulling her closer to him. He was sure he was grinning like an idiot but he didn’t care. This was the Quinn he fell for. He kissed Quinn’s cheek and then turned expectantly to his mom.

“I suppose I’ve been a little hard on you, Quinn. I just want what’s best for my son. Maybe I shouldn't have judged you on what I saw last night."

“You think?” Zach said. Quinn swatted his arm and silenced him with a kiss.

“She’s still your mom and she wants what’s best for you,” she said to him. She turned back to Joan. “Look, I won’t apologize for being me but I can forget this all happened and start over, if you want to.”

Zach squeezed her hand and they all looked to Joan. “I’m sorry for my behavior tonight, Quinn. You seem like you actually have your head on straight and you make my son happy. I would like very much if we could start over.”

Quinn stuck her hand out to the other woman. “Its very nice to meet you, Joan. My name is Quinn and I am crazy in love with your son.”